Home Non Cigar Related

I'm Back

YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've been away for a while due to a medical adventure.  I was on vacation in June in South Carolina and started to get some severe pain in my lower right side.  Took some pain meds, laid down at the hotel and I was fine.

It started again when I got home and I gave up my man card and when to the doctor's.  In looking for a hernia, they kept doing one test after another, ultra sound, CAT scan, cystoscope and a bunch of stuff.  In speaking with the one doctor she kept saying they did not like what was on the CAT scan.  I finally asked what the heck was on the scan.  She asked if anyone spoke with me and I said no.  She then said I had Stage 4 abdominal cancer!  She could have lied.

The type of cancer I had did not respond to chemo so she referred me to a surgeon at Duke.  He was one of the best in the country.  I was operated on in September and spent 16 days in the hospital, 2 1/2 days in intensive care.  The surgeon told my wife, not me, that when he opened me up, he seriously considered sewing me back up.  Instead, he operated for 10 hours and removed my spleen, appendix, several tumors, reconstructed my intestine and colon and repaired the hernia.  He said it have been growing inside me for two years.  I had no symptoms and if not for the hernia, I would have not had too much longer.

I was very weak for a long time and really couldn't do anything, including teaching.  I just did my online courses and that was it.  As a precaution, because they found some aggressive cells, I am doing 8 sessions of chemo.  I can do it locally and besides my hands a feet hurting a bit, none of the bad stuff is happening, like nausea, mouth sores, etc.  I'm back teaching and I thought I would get back and see what you all are doing. 

I had my first cigar last week after a few months hiatus and it was great.  They told me cigars during chemo would not be a problem, especially if it relaxed me, which it does. 

So that being said, you all will have to suffer again with my sick sense of humor.

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad your back, and that you went to the doctor.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was an adventure. Good to see you back here.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you're back, and wow!  Hope things continue to go well.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m glad you’re back and doing well. I can relate to your surgery... I had an esophagectomy back in February of 2013 and am still cancer-free. The things they can do for cancer patients these days are pretty amazing and getting better all the time. 

Keep on keepin’ on, my friend 👍

• AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the best and keep fighting!
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to see you back. Sending you a pm

• Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you're back and feeling better. Sometimes you gotta suck it up and get to a doc. Keep your man card.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey young fella, thanks for staying strong and keeping at it.  You encourage the rest of us.  There's plenty of time for dyin' and maybe not so much time for livin' but until the Lord calls us home, livin' good is what we're called to do.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to see you back!
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear you're feeling better. Stay healthy.
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great news. 
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear they got you up and running.  Keep up the fight.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• NineToesNineToes Posts: 75 ✭✭✭
    Glad you have things going your way now.
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you got your plumbing fixed. Stay strong and savor those stogies.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hate that you had all that. Love that you're better off now and getting more treatment. Welcome back. 
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope you are getting better.
    And for yiur return........

https://youtu.be/pAgnJDJN4VA
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool, thank you.
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you are back and getting better @YankeeMan
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats! Medicine is amazing, so take care of yourself and enjoy your cigars!