Home Cigar 101

Using The Nose....

clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
Any avid cigar enthusiast will tell you that using the nose in cigar smoking is essential to tasting all the flavors a cigar has to offer. For a long time I had a really hard time doing this. I couldn't figure out how I was supposed to get the smoke to come out through my nose without inhaling. I read a blog by Alex Svenson which included notes on how to do this where he eluded to a half swallowing motion followed by an exhale. While I use a lot of methods that I've heard Alex recommend, and while this may work for many, it certainly didn't for me and I soon found myself gagging.

For any BOTL's out there who are new to this and trying to figure this out as well, perhaps struggling the same way I did, here is a rather simplified method that I use for breathing the smoke out of my nose and extracting those true flavors from my cigar.

1.) Take two large draws from your cigar releasing the smoke almost immediately. This is to heat up the oils.
2.) After the two large draws, take a smaller draw around half the size of the first two.
3.) Close your mouth and start breathing out your nose. The smoke will find its way there without any additional help and without going to your lunges.
4.) Blow as much out as you are comfortable with and then blow the rest out your mouth. The point is not quantity of smoke, but that you're actually allowing the smoke to reach your nose. I personally blow very little, just until I see or feel smoke coming out and then I release the rest from my mouth.

Step 4 is the part that takes practice. Only you know what you're comfortable with and you will soon be able to determine the precise amount for any cigar. This method has helped me immensely with differentiating flavors in a cigar and I'm sure it will help many of you as well.

Cheers,
Phil

Comments

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I use the nose method and it does impart some different flavors and tastes.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Yes. Do this but, my recomendation is start small. Start w/ very little smoke and as suspect said, you will find what amount your comfortable with on a given smoke. But start small/very little smoke and work your way up. Otherwise it can be very unpleasant (IMHO).
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    And if you're trying to learn how to do this, do it with a mild cigar...it will hurt less when you screw up. :)
  • nudienudie Posts: 112
    First time i tried this was on a NUb Maduro... bad idea.... ive got it figured out now... imparts much more enjoyment into the smoke
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    For some reason I never really had any trouble in doing this...and I think it makes a big difference in my enjoyment of cigars. I really like spicy cigars (although there are some I don't do much more than 50 percent through the nose) and this really helps you pick that up.
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    I agree I recently started doing this. Usually the only thing I can pick up through the nose is spice. What flavors does everyone else get?
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    ...........choke......gag.........cough.........gag..........yeah works well.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    firetruckguy:
    As the saying goes, if you're gagging, you're doing it wrong.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Suspect. I tried the swallowing method suggested by Alex (easy Lassie & Urbino) and it didn't work for me either. Once I'm over this foolish bronchitis and can smoke again, I'll give it a try.
  • TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    I have the opposite problem. I inhale so much smoke just seeps out of every orifice.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    letsgowithbob:
    I agree I recently started doing this. Usually the only thing I can pick up through the nose is spice. What flavors does everyone else get?
    It depends on the cigar. What blowing smoke through your nose does is it enables you to use your sense of smell in conjunction with your taste buds, it allows you to more completely taste the cigar. Taste buds only report on a certain number of basic tastes, but when taken together with what your olfactory senses detect you are given a more complete picture of what a cigar tastes like.

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say the reason you only detect "spice" is due to blowing too much smoke through the nose and overwhelming the senses. Try it with just a little smoke and see if you notice a difference.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    firetruckguy:
    As the saying goes, if you're gagging, you're doing it wrong.
    Hey urbi, are we still talking about cigars ?
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    letsgowithbob:
    It depends on the cigar. What blowing smoke through your nose does is it enables you to use your sense of smell in conjunction with your taste buds, it allows you to more completely taste the cigar. Taste buds only report on a certain number of basic tastes, but when taken together with what your olfactory senses detect you are given a more complete picture of what a cigar tastes like.

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say the reason you only detect "spice" is due to blowing too much smoke through the nose and overwhelming the senses. Try it with just a little smoke and see if you notice a difference.
    Yeah. What he said. I used to always comment that most of the cigars tasted the same to me, that I couldn't pick up on all the subtleties that the more experienced guys were tasting, that I couldn't really tell the difference between a cheap cigar and a premium cigar. Getting this down has really changed my entire perception of cigars.

Again, like j0z3r said, just a little bit of smoke is all that's needed, just enough to introduce the flavors in the smoke to the nose.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    clearlysuspect:
    Any avid cigar enthusiast will tell you that using the nose in cigar smoking is essential to tasting all the flavors a cigar has to offer. For a long time I had a really hard time doing this. I couldn't figure out how I was supposed to get the smoke to come out through my nose without inhaling. I read a blog by Alex Svenson which included notes on how to do this where he eluded to a half swallowing motion followed by an exhale. While I use a lot of methods that I've heard Alex recommend, and while this may work for many, it certainly didn't for me and I soon found myself gagging.

For any BOTL's out there who are new to this and trying to figure this out as well, perhaps struggling the same way I did, here is a rather simplified method that I use for breathing the smoke out of my nose and extracting those true flavors from my cigar.

1.) Take two large draws from your cigar releasing the smoke almost immediately. This is to heat up the oils.
    2.) After the two large draws, take a smaller draw around half the size of the first two.
    3.) Close your mouth and start breathing out your nose. The smoke will find its way there without any additional help and without going to your lunges.
    4.) Blow as much out as you are comfortable with and then blow the rest out your mouth. The point is not quantity of smoke, but that you're actually allowing the smoke to reach your nose. I personally blow very little, just until I see or feel smoke coming out and then I release the rest from my mouth.

Step 4 is the part that takes practice. Only you know what you're comfortable with and you will soon be able to determine the precise amount for any cigar. This method has helped me immensely with differentiating flavors in a cigar and I'm sure it will help many of you as well.

Cheers,
    Phil
    this is very true.

the way i do it is a bit different. I get that puff in my mouth and let out about 1/4 of it and puff out my cheeks. then i stop letting it out my mouth and start to breathe out through my nose while collapsing my cheeks a bit. this forces the smoke out my nose a bit. when i feel that its getting too much i let the rest out my mouth again.

since smell and taste are so closely related, this is a great way to get the most out of any cigar.

great post CS.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Hope this helps
  • I tried it last night and failed :) It simply wouldn't go out of my nose. When you breathe out of your nose (step 3), how long do you do it before smoke goes through? Does it take several inhales/exhales, or does it happen pretty soon?
    Unthought_Known:
    I tried it last night and failed :) It simply wouldn't go out of my nose. When you breathe out of your nose (step 3), how long do you do it before smoke goes through? Does it take several inhales/exhales, or does it happen pretty soon?
    Happens pretty quick. The only other advice I can offer is "relax." Physically speaking, there is nothing seperating the mouth from the nose. If you breathe out, the smoke should find it's way there. I'd also make sure you have enough air in your lunges to breathe out. Like I said, it takes a little practice.
    This might also help if you can't get the smoke to come out your nose using this method. Draw the smoke into your mouth. Close your mouth and try to blow the smoke out of your mouth while keeping your mouth closed. Sounds weird, but try it. Just don't blow too hard.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    The first time I tried it after I started smoking again was with an Oliva serie V torpedo.. I actually shed a few tears the first few times, then my nose was broke in, lol...
  • cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    I aswell have had little problem developing this tech. it just cam easy. My experiance is to let out a good half of the smoke through your mouth and allowing smoke through the nose to be more mellow and allot more taste comes from it. tread lightly botl.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    clearlysuspect:
    This might also help if you can't get the smoke to come out your nose using this method. Draw the smoke into your mouth. Close your mouth and try to blow the smoke out of your mouth while keeping your mouth closed. Sounds weird, but try it. Just don't blow too hard.
    Yeah, i was gonna say something along this line...it's kind of instinctive, just keep your lips closed and for the air out.
  • cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    prior to drawing in smoke from the cigar i leave a little air in my lungs, after i release most of the smoke from my mouth I let the air from my lungs out my nose and it picks up the smoke left in my mouth.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    LOL...if ur gagging...don't take so much in....the draw that is...
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    great post CS.
    CS-ta... CIESTA!
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    kuzi16:
    great post CS.
    CS-ta... CIESTA!
    Or we could just call him Nap-py!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    The first time I tried it after I started smoking again was with an Oliva serie V torpedo.. I actually shed a few tears the first few times, then my nose was broke in, lol...
    that's what she said... lol.

I remember doing this the first time and it was a bit tough, I just kept a bit of smoke in my mouth before I did it. Now it's second nature. I still don't push a huge amount of smoke.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    this reply had my eyes watering ...it was too funny...just the visual was overwhelming.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I get the smoke to come out the nose just fine but maybe I am blowing too much thru because it burns like hell and doesn't really impart a ton of flavors. I tried this with an Oliva V Torp sunday night and much like Cabi, I was "feelin the pain". Practice makes perfect. I guess learning on a mild stick might be a better idea. I did try this with a RP Sig and it worked a lot better.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    I was smoking a Padron 45th Family Reserve this past weekend at the Ohio/Michigan herf. I gave sandman a few puffs and he about choked the first time he let out a bunch through the nose - SPICY cigar, lol.

So, this may sound weird, but I find if I "flare" my nostrils, it opens up the back of my throat a bit and I can get the smoke out my nose a little easier. And it certainly adds a ton to the enjoyment of smoking, but you gotta be careful with the spicy ones. :)
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    I find it very surprising that no one has suggested to the newbie "nose-exhalers" to try the closed-mouth, breath out tactic WITHOUT smoke in their mouth first yet... It would save them a lot of painful trial and error at the very least.

I think also that the best way to describe filling your mouth with air is not to fill it with "air," but to fill it with lots of "space".

Another method I used when first learning the technique, is to first try breathing in and out with your mouth wide open. Without stopping breathing in and out, and right before you exhale, close your lips. You will realize that all the air that was in your mouth will have escaped out through your nose. This method teaches you how to hold the back of your mouth and throat open so that expelling the smoke out of your nose from your mouth is even possible. It seems to me like this may be the problem for the people that have still yet to make it happen.