Home General Discussion

The Upsetters Small Axe - The Strangest Cigar I've Smoked (yet)

BadSneakersBadSneakers Posts: 156 ✭✭✭✭
"The Upsetters: Small Axe - The Weirdest Cigar I've Ever Smoked"
A book report by Liz L, Grade 2 

Size: 4 1/4 x 40 Wrapper: "Not Available" Guts: Jamaican Cow's Tongue & Nicaraguan

I had heard about this line from Foundation and was intrigued so when I managed to get a 5 pack of the Small Axe on the cheap I jumped. First - let me say that every once and a while I do enjoy an infused cigar on the down low now and then. Even really obnoxiously strongly infused ones like the Acid Plush. So I am not adverse to infused cigars. These are infused smokes made unique by the inclusion of Jamaican cow tongue tobacco along with more standard Nicaraguan fillers. 
These guys arrived wrapped in plastic and as soon as I cut the seal I was overcome with what I would describe as a strong odor of cheap men's cologne. Very strong - stronger than anything I have encountered with Acid, even. I was a little put off, but I'm all about having an open mind so I went forward. 
The sweetness on the cap is very slight - nothing like what you might expect from, say, most sweetened DE products. Couldn't get much from the dry draw because I was overwhelmed by the cologne scent from the cigar's wrapper. Upon lighting I was hit with a note of eucalyptus. I like things with strange flavors so I was intrigued. It was a slight note - not like smoking a stick of Vicks. It settled into a mild, creamy smoke with a great draw and it burned very slowly. I would say cream, maybe some honey, a tinge of the eucalyptus - unfortunately the wrapper's cologne smell was still interfering at this point. 
At the start of the third I picked up some patchouli and a general "head shop" taste. I was concerned but this actually dissipated fairly quickly and the smoke got more enjoyable at this point. There was a vey intriguing spice note on the retrohale in the second third. Towards the end of this segment the spice retreated somewhat and an almost dairy dessert(?), marshmallow type taste became apparent, especially on the retrohale. The 2nd third was a overall a mild, pleasant smoke. 
Not going to write anything about the last 3rd because I feel it always gets corrupted in these small vitolas. At least for me. 
I have an aftertaste of the wrapper's cologne scent so pardon me while I clean up.

In closing: a.I know this review sounds kind of negative, but it isn't - I'm more intrigued than put off. I am VERY curious to try it again (I'll probably do so tonight) because I always pick up so much more on the 2nd go round. b. I am interested in reading more about Jamaican cow's tongue tobacco and its flavors. c. I still really want to try the Django or Zola - or any others in this line - and I will give them a shot as soon as possible. I certainly am not going to judge the whole line on this one petite corona. d. If you read this far you are my new best friend, wow I didn't expect anyone to read this whole thing.

It's funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating. - Jack Handey 

Comments

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy Cow!
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NIce review Liz! Sounds like not my cup of tea, but look forward to round 2. My b and m carries some of these, but I’ve never jumped on them before.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, not sure I could have gotten past the cheap men's cologne, thanks for taking one for the team.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting review, thanks for posting.  I'll probably be avoiding this one, although I will admit to having enjoyed a couple of Acids, Kuba Kuba and Liquid to be specific, a long time ago.  I think I had two of each.  I'm done. 
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at dem nails!!
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stubble said:
    Look at dem nails!!
    That was my first thought too..... :D
    I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't want to say anything, but they're on point.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • BadSneakersBadSneakers Posts: 156 ✭✭✭✭
    The Upsetters line has gotten good reviews in many sectors so don't soley go by me. Also women and men can sometimes pick up on totally different things, scent/taste bud wise. So if the line piques your curiosity please do give it a shot and report back. I still intend to try a couple of the other offerings, I'm curious.

Thanks for the nail comments. lol Splurged cause I have some important stuff coming up.
    It's funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating. - Jack Handey 
    Guitarded said:
    Axe body spray.
    More like Small Axe Body Spray, amirite? LOL 
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Body spray or vape, either one gives me a headache. 😤
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guitarded said:
    Axe body spray.
    More like Small Axe Body Spray, amirite? LOL 
    Only if you drive a lifted Dodge diesel with eleven billion in add-ons that will never haul anything rougher than a Bud Lite case or feel dirt under it's ludicrous tires.
    I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
    Just did the second try. Worse, if anything. Just not my bag. 
  • 12Ultralimited12Ultralimited Posts: 48 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the insight.

...and the nails.