Home General Discussion

Temperature question

Gindog1Gindog1 Posts: 16
edited February 2020 in General Discussion
My house runs about 66 to 67° in the winter months. I my Boveda packs are 69% . I have my cigars in a Tupperware box's that seems to have temperature at 66• with humidity sitting at 72. We have had a lot of rain lately Are these stick Ok or do I need to make some changes. To get temp up and humidity down a bit.

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Should be fine, but they'll probably smoke better with a lower rH, try 62% or 65%.

Your fine with temp, that's the highest my wine cooler will go.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Gindog1Gindog1 Posts: 16

Do you think I should go down with my Boveda pack %?

• HeavysetrapierHeavysetrapier Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you just quoted his answer to that question...
    If your cigars don't smoke well, yes, but that's a perfectly acceptable rH now. See if your cigars seem soggy or are hard to keep lit. Many people like lower rH.

LOL yep I see that

Sometimes the smoke get in my eyes and I was on my phone. I can't see worth a crap without my glasses witch I didn't have on.

edited February 2020
    Also, you can recharge your Bovedas when necessary.

I can't see shït without my glasses.

If I haven't said it before, welcome to the forum.

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to a book I read a few years back, as long as your temp stays below 70f degrees you shouldn’t have to worry about tobacco beetles. They get active above 70f looking for mates. 😎
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like your hygrometer is off if you're getting mold.

Don't look ↑
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not opening your humidor's, tubby's, coolers etc. to let fresh air in will help mold grow. Stagnant air will make the spores grow regardless of perfect temperature and humidity. Sometimes you'll get it even in perfect conditions and letting fresh air in, it just happens.

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Cam_91Cam_91 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

This west coast heatwave has my cooler temp peaking at just below 72° for a few hours a day (usually from 4a to 11a). After that it goes back to around 70°. Is this anything to worry about?

edited June 2021

My tower gets up to 75 76 in the late afternoon. Never had a problem.

Maybe some of the other guys can shed a little light on it, But I think the bugs start hatching when you get above 75 In both humidity and temperature. I've always used the rule of thumb that if humidity plus temperature is less than 145, you have nothing to worry about.

Mold can be a slightly different story, but not that different. Plus, mold won't kill your cigars if you detect it early, And I don't know how well it grows if the humidity is less than 78%

Don't look ↑

Of course that's within reason. I can't keep my smokes outside in the backyard where it's 110 degrees and 5% humidity. That's less than 145, but it's the same as a pizza oven. Conversely, I can't keep them at zero degrees and 90% humidity because that will also ruin them.

I think in both cases you avoid mold and bugs, but in both cases you ruin your smokes. I don't think that 80° and 60% humidity will hatch crawlies, and I don't think 60° and 80% humidity will grow mold very quickly (though a long exposure to this environment might do so over time).

Don't look ↑

Now's a good time to consider using 65% or 62% Boveda packs, the warmer air will hold more moisture at a given rH than cooler air. This will help mitigate potential mold issues and I think my cigars burn better when stored at a lower rH.

• Cam_91Cam_91 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    Now's a good time to consider using 65% or 62% Boveda packs, the warmer air will hold more moisture at a given rH than cooler air. This will help mitigate potential mold issues and I think my cigars burn better when stored at a lower rH.

I switched to 65 a while back. Been doing me well

• VisionVision Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    Of course that's within reason. I can't keep my smokes outside in the backyard where it's 110 degrees and 5% humidity. That's less than 145, but it's the same as a pizza oven. Conversely, I can't keep them at zero degrees and 90% humidity because that will also ruin them.

I think in both cases you avoid mold and bugs, but in both cases you ruin your smokes. I don't think that 80° and 60% humidity will hatch crawlies, and I don't think 60° and 80% humidity will grow mold very quickly (though a long exposure to this environment might do so over time).

From CI

“Adult beetles measure about two to three millimeters long and live only 2 to 4 weeks, and thrive in humid climates and hot temperatures above 74 degrees.”

I’ve always tried to be below 75 degrees. Once way back in my early days I had a few beetles (Fuente sticks I traded for). At the time freezing 100 or so sticks wasn’t all that bad. Now would be tough.

• CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cam_91 said:
    This west coast heatwave has my cooler temp peaking at just below 72° for a few hours a day (usually from 4a to 11a). After that it goes back to around 70°. Is this anything to worry about?

Nope. I keep my AC set at 78 all summer long and don't even run it unless it gets above 85 degrees or so. I run 65% bovedas and have never had any issues with beetles and my cigars smoke fine. Moisture (humidity) is more a problem than temperature in my experience. 65% bovedas keep it in range no matter if the temperature creeps up a bit.

• CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vision said:

@VegasFrank said:

From CI

“Adult beetles measure about two to three millimeters long and live only 2 to 4 weeks, and thrive in humid climates and hot temperatures above 74 degrees.”

I’ve always tried to be below 75 degrees. Once way back in my early days I had a few beetles (Fuente sticks I traded for). At the time freezing 100 or so sticks wasn’t all that bad. Now would be tough.

I've had two beetles long ago too, trades also. Quit trading after that. Some folks have trouble keeping humidity in check. Not worth the risk.

• d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

Just moved my collection to the basement for the summer. Stays at around 65% and 65-67 temp. It's more stable than the upstairs even with the a/c on.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• VisionVision Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:

@Vision said:

@VegasFrank said:

From CI

Ccom info only, please. Did I do that correctly, @Usaf06?

Meh…. Same company