Home Non Cigar Related
Options

The Bourbon and Whiskey Thread

Comments

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

Day 1 of my 12 days of Christmas from flaviar. If anybody wants to sign up let me kno . I can refer you and we both get a $50 credit towards a bottle. 
    What's the cost?
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    TBonzTBonz Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They had a "drawing" at our local ABC store this weekend.  There were over 400 folks there who got tickets and if your # was drawn, you got to choose one of the available bottles to purchase.  When the bottles were gone it was over.  I believe there were around 75 total bottles including various types of Pappy Von Winkle, Elijah Craig, Blanton's and others.  My son was one of the lucky winners, probably into the second half of the winners.  He purchased a bottle of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof to enjoy.  You had to be a county resident to purchase.  Apparently this is a once a year thing that we just found out about.  
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks great, enjoy Brother.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heavysetrapier said:

Move the tie and you're only a zipper away from a dicpic. (Assuming it wasn't already behind the tie.) 

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sleddog46 said:
    I don't usually drink Bourbon straight,  but Dawn got me a,bottle of 4 Roses small batch and it's very nice. I'm pairing it with a Trinidad TTT. Very tasty.

Bet that’s a good combo
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last night was a bourbon fest at my parents house for Christmas . Buffalo trace, Eagle rare, barrel picks of knob creek, four roses small batch and single barrel, Elijah Craig barrel proof, Woodford double oaked, old elk and I might be forgetting some of last night. 

FIFY

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Picked up a bottle of 1792 Bib yesterday. Enjoying a pour now. Very good
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    KenpoKnightKenpoKnight Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sleddog46 said:
    I don't usually drink Bourbon straight,  but Dawn got me a,bottle of 4 Roses small batch and it's very nice. I'm pairing it with a Trinidad TTT. Very tasty.

Just picked up a bottle of the small batch last Friday.  It does pair great.  I’m getting more into whiskeys/bourbons and enjoying the thread.  

I was gifted a bottle of this Crown which is pretty good! 

• Options
    GrawlsGrawls Posts: 664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good stuff!
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,808 ✭✭✭✭✭

:D
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Far_North_64Far_North_64 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Three long, boring, alcohol-free years😁
    Now this is not the end of the cigar. It is not even the beginning of the end of the cigar. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning of the cigar.

• Options
    Knoxca1Knoxca1 Posts: 148 ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Martel said:
    deadman said:
    My dad is a huge bourbon snob. I can’t stand to smell the stuff. I have heard him talk about Japanese bourbon or whiskey. I would like to get him some for Christmas but don’t have a clue. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    One on the left is Ok and affordable. One on the right is for ballers like you.

Nah, real ballers would drop $1500 on the Hibiki 21 Year.  It's my unicorn just to taste it.

A lot of the Japanese stuff is more akin to Scotch than bourbon.  They're frequently peated.  I love that flavor profile, but most strictly Bourbon guys don't, so be careful.

Another possibility outside the bourbon / Japanese route is to go with an unpeated Scotch.  One I've had some bourbon lovers try is Bruichladdich Islay Barley Rockside Farm 2007.  It's an Islay Scotch minus the peat smoke process of drying the grain.  It's in the $50-80 range depending on locale.  50% ABV and needs a couple drops of water, but it's pleasantly sweet with vanilla and honey flavors.  One of my current favorites and I saw it just a month ago on the shelf while I was traveling.

$1500 for Hibiki 21 is way over paying.  You can get it for around $500, the 30 year is in the $3000 range.
  • Options
    KenpoKnightKenpoKnight Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just picked this up.  So far it’s great. 

• Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,648 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finishing this off because my wife got me a bottle of it for Valentine's day.
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,648 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <3
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wife encouraged me to spend some of that hard earned OT ive been earning
    no matter where you go, there you are.