Home Non Cigar Related
Options

The Bourbon and Whiskey Thread

Comments

• Options
    gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

@genareddog said:

If my old eyes aren't deceiving me, that looks like the "N:" on the top. Is that the super rare one or is it the "B"?

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

@gripnrip said:

@genareddog said:

If my old eyes aren't deceiving me, that looks like the "N:" on the top. Is that the super rare one or is it the "B"?

Welcome back @gripnrip. I recognized the screen name and avatar combo. Separately, I may not have recognized you from way back. And it's been a few years since you posted anything, but Blantons gets your attention, LOL. Welcome back old timer.

This goes to show the rest of you that you shouldn't change that avatar all the time. Unless you want to. I don't care. But but if you do, don't expect me to remember y'all when you're coming back from a long hiatus.

• Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gripnrip said:

@genareddog said:

It is a N. You will have to excuse my ignorance but I am new to the bourbon trail. I have no idea what the difference is. I got this at my local Kroger store on a recommendation by one of my brothers.

• Options

@Bob_Luken said:

@gripnrip said:

@genareddog said:

Welcome back @gripnrip. I recognized the screen name and avatar combo. Separately, I may not have recognized you from way back. And it's been a few years since you posted anything, but Blantons gets your attention, LOL. Welcome back old timer.

This goes to show the rest of you that you shouldn't change that avatar all the time. Unless you want to. I don't care. But but if you do, don't expect me to remember y'all when you're coming back from a long hiatus.

Thanks @Bob_Luken . It has been a while, too long for sure. Yes, Blanton's always gets my attention! I never posted much (as you can see) but will try to be more involved moving forward-great bunch of guys in here.

• Options

@genareddog said:

@gripnrip said:

@genareddog said:

It is a N. You will have to excuse my ignorance but I am new to the bourbon trail. I have no idea what the difference is. I got this at my local Kroger store on a recommendation by one of my brothers.

Blanton's is one of my favorites. Each bottle has a letter on the cap-spelling out Blanton's. As there are two "N's", if I have it right there is a plain "N" and a "N:" I'm not sure why the use a colon instead of an apostrophe. I just bought a bottle myself and got lucky to get the "L". I have all of the letters except the "B" and the "N:". Once you try the bourbon I'm sure you will want more-kind of fun to collect the letters.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got an email from Laphroaig about an upcoming offering of a Scotch finished in Sherry oak casks and I'm just not so sure about these tasting notes:

This exciting new auburn coloured whisky is sweet and aromatic, with rich wax and furniture polish notes, followed by treacle toffee, maple syrup and bitter dark chocolate, combined with pencil shavings, pine needle and cedar scented wood.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    Just got an email from Laphroaig about an upcoming offering of a Scotch finished in Sherry oak casks and I'm just not so sure about these tasting notes:

This exciting new auburn coloured whisky is sweet and aromatic, with rich wax and furniture polish notes, followed by treacle toffee, maple syrup and bitter dark chocolate, combined with pencil shavings, pine needle and cedar scented wood.

If that were a cigar review the cigar would have scored a 96.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

The funny part is that people will still buy it after reading that review.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

People will buy it because of that review.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Patrickbrick said:
    People will buy it because of that review.

++ @VegasFrank

• Options
    Cam_91Cam_91 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is this blasphemous concoction

• Options
    edited April 2021

I'd howl too. Like a sad mournful old beagle.

• Options
    FIRERATFIRERAT Posts: 189 ✭✭✭✭

@Cam_91 said:

F**k You I'm drunk.....
    "I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just how I am,"-Homer Simpson

• Options
    FIRERATFIRERAT Posts: 189 ✭✭✭✭

I'm giving up on anything from the Buffalo Trace distillery. It's like they just don't want me to have any.

I love Blanton's and have 2 more store picks left I won in a fantasy football tourney. I used to love flagship Buffalo Trace when it was $25 a bottle and everywhere. And Eagle rare for slightly more. But screw it. I'm not driving all over and paying a dumb premium for a mid shelf bourbon. Not where there's Old forester sitting right there calling to me.

Just got a bottle of knob creek single barrel reserve store pick the other day I intend to crack open this weekend.
    It's interestingly smooth for being 120 proof. What's a good cigar to pair with such a high proof whiskey?

F**k You I'm drunk.....
    "I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just how I am,"-Homer Simpson

• Options
    edited April 2021

@FIRERAT said:

@Cam_91 said:

The opacity of that bourbon bothers me. Next they'll have boba or aloe vera bourbon.

• Options
    Cam_91Cam_91 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FIRERAT said:
    Just got a bottle of knob creek single barrel reserve store pick the other day I intend to crack open this weekend.
    It's interestingly smooth for being 120 proof. What's a good cigar to pair with such a high proof whiskey?

This is a great question. Do we have a resident cigar & beverage pairing pro who can answer this?

• Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

Short answer,
    Buffalo Trace & DTT/Saka
    Knob Creek & Roma Craft
    Old Forester & My Father
    Wild Turkey & Tatuaje, BLTC
    Scotch *& Cubans

• Laphroaig doesn’t count, it’s a vile swill they make as a joke and nothing pairs with it.
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options

@genareddog said:

I won't tell but, does Gena know you're drinking the hard stuff?

• Options

Tomorrow is National Scotch Day and I finished my last bottle.

• Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    Tomorrow is National Scotch Day and I finished my last bottle.

Dry Begging?

• Options

Naw, just a reminder to myself to go to the store tomorrow.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perfect, I just bought my first bottle of scotch. Johnny Walker 12 year.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

Got my order in for a bottle of Scotch for tonight, but I've got to cook dinner and then edit a presentation before I can go pick it up so I don't know when I'm going to get over there.

• Options

I did order some Sculpin grapefruit IPA

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Usaf06 said:
    Picked this up while at the beach the other day.

Have you tried their “chef’s collaboration “ yet?