The Bourbon and Whiskey Thread

Comments

• Options
    Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well would you look at that...
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enjoy hermano
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife managed to consume my bottle of Russell's Reserve 10 year in 2 days, so this replacement was waiting for me when I got home.

Nice surprise that is really good!
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    Far_North_64Far_North_64 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Has anyone tried this yet. From what I understand it was developed with Partagas Serie D No.4 in mind. To be honest I didn't go through all 25 pages but from what I did read people here like bourbon and Rye so don't know it there is much interest in Single Malt Scotch. The title was spelled whisky with an "E" in it in the OP and that refers to whisk(e)y outside of Scotland. I just got this one from Scotland.
    Now this is not the end of the cigar. It is not even the beginning of the end of the cigar. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning of the cigar.

• Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone tried this yet. From what I understand it was developed with Partagas Serie D No.4 in mind. To be honest I didn't go through all 25 pages but from what I did read people here like bourbon and Rye so don't know it there is much interest in Single Malt Scotch. The title was spelled whisky with an "E" in it in the OP and that refers to whisk(e)y outside of Scotland. I just got this one from Scotland.
    Bite your tongue about that "not much interest in single malt scotch" nonsense!

My shelf at the moment:
    Glenfiddich 15
    Laphroaig 10
    Ardbeg Uigidal
    Highland Park 18 Viking Pride
    Talisker 10
    Lagavulin 16

The solera Glenfiddich was the second scotch I remember drinking, but I don't know what the first was in college.  I nursed a bottle for years.  Finally started exploring and have kind of outgrown it.

I like my scotch filled with the flavors of peat, iodine, and the blood and tears of my vanquished foes.  Or something like that.  Some days it tastes like victory and others like bitter defeat in a bottle.  I love the stuff.

The next one in order of how much I now drink it is the Lagavulin.  It's really good, but not as complex on my palate as some of the others.

That HP 18 is legit the best stuff I've ever had.  I know of people who hate it, but they're not many in the whisky world.  Realistically, though, I can enjoy the baseline Laphroaig just as much.  The Talisker I don't see as much anymore in my area.  Everybody carries their "Storm" but I don't think it's as good as the 10.  The 10 is sweet but still has a lot of those Islay-ish flavors (even though it's from a different island, funny, I actually bought it because we have a game called Isle of Skye and the packaging looked like some of the tiles in the game, well and good reviews).

The Ardbeg is really good stuff, too.  I have to be in the mood for it, though.  I found it on sale and jumped on it.  My wife was shoe shopping with my daughter next door to the liquor store.  I think we got home at 2 in the afternoon and I really needed the Scotch after that bill.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    TheCigarChickTheCigarChick Moderator Posts: 296 admin
    Haven't tried the new version, but I was very familiar with the original. 
    Sir Richard Patterson, aka "The Nose," is Dalmore's Master Blender and a hell of a guy - he also really enjoys very specific cigars. I had the pleasure of working with Sir Richard a number of years ago on an off-shoot of the Cigar Malt Reserve made specifically to pair with an Alec Bradley blend, as we of course cannot legally buy/sell Partagás D. 4 in the US.

Have you had the new Cigar Malt, @Far_North_64? It's my understanding this one sits a bit below the Dalmore 12 -- a personal fav when it comes to an everyday kind of whisky. Not sure if you've tried Glenfarclas or Highland Park, but if you enjoy Dalmore, you'll enjoy those as well. Glenfarclas for me is my fav whisky without a doubt, as even their least expensive drams are balanced, flavorful, and very easy to drink.
  • Options
    I bid on two bottles of the old style but didn't win. I don't drink but have a large collection of scotch. It's a great investment. 
    Now this is not the end of the cigar. It is not even the beginning of the end of the cigar. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning of the cigar.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scotch > Rye > Bourbon > Gin > Rum > Tequila

I usually have some Glenlivet on hand, found a good deal on The Balvenie Caribbean Casks at Costco so I've been enjoying that lately.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rye - Bourbon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> some scotch
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    Has anyone tried this yet. 
    Haven't tried the new version, but I was very familiar with the original. 
    Sir Richard Patterson, aka "The Nose," is Dalmore's Master Blender and a hell of a guy - he also really enjoys very specific cigars. I had the pleasure of working with Sir Richard a number of years ago on an off-shoot of the Cigar Malt Reserve made specifically to pair with an Alec Bradley blend, as we of course cannot legally buy/sell Partagás D. 4 in the US.

Have you had the new Cigar Malt, @Far_North_64? It's my understanding this one sits a bit below the Dalmore 12 ...
    This is the Info I found on the new version on Masters of Malt:

The whiskiest  up tthat make the reworked cigar malt are slightly older, which has pushed up the price somewhat.

But it's a great whisky, whether you drink with its intended purpose in mind or not. And if you do enjoy cigars, you'll want to know that the stick that provided the flavour benchmark for pairing is the hefty Partagas Serie D No. 4.

The old style fell inbetween the 22 and 15 Dalmore. The new one, as mentioned above, uses older blends.

I do have the Highland Park Fire and Ice series, three from the warrior series, and a couple 18 year olds now called Viking pride. I have a Glenfarclas 25 year old and one from the 105 Series. 

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gonna try that cigar malt. 
  • Options
    All bought at the duty free shop so it all came on the plane with me!

• Options
    @Far_North_64 do you have neighbors, and are they selling their house?  I might be looking...

And I thought I had a Scotch problem.  That's a nice haul.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're still my new best friend  Dan.    
    I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options

All the Elijah Craig stuff tastes a little like bananas to me.  It's good, but once someone told me that, it's mostly what I get.

Even with that, their regular stuff makes the best hot toddy.  Honey. Lemon. Elijah Craig.  Hot Water or brewed tea, even.  Maybe a drop of vanilla if I'm really adventurous. Nothing better on a sore throat or cold evening.

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    OH NO    Tariffs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UtDx0zBOfc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKrhHjThgIw
    Buried in both reports the tariffs on some whiskeys are mentioned.
  • Options
    Read that last night and my wife said, well go buy some before prices go up.

uh. okay.

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

Scotch distillery debuts 'whisky cocktail' pods, gets mocked mercilessly on Twitter: 'Tide Pods but whiskey'

This is gonna get confusing......doing laundry while having a drink.....
  • Options
    My wife surprised me with a quick trip to Pittsburgh last weekend.  Mostly, we went to see Mr. Rogers stuff, because I'm a nerd that way.  He's one of my heroes.

Anyway.  Just down the street a half a mile from the Heinz History Center, is the Wigle Distillery.  Check it out, it's a cool place with way too much to sample.  I got a flight (and after I bought it was told I could have customized one rather than a pre-selected one, so now YOU know).  We didn't do a tour b/c we had a teen with us, but I went in, ordered, and got a window seat while the wife and kid stood right across the table...

At any rate, they make fantastic Rye.  They have a smoked bourbon that is like American Scotch-sweet and campfire, vanilla and smoke, but not peat.  I really liked it a ton.  If the line hadn't been so long, I would have bought a bottle right there.  Instead, I'm gonna head to a local place that might carry it.

The Oaxaca Rye was off-flight, but I had to try it.  Good stuff.  I did not like the hopped whiskey, but if you're an IPA guy you might.  Their "Roasty" was really sweet.  Some of their whiskey is distilled from beer made by local micro-brews.  This one used a mash replicating one of their partner-beer's base, but skipped the beer step and just made it right into whiskey.  It was good, but not what I'd normally keep around for me because it was sooo sweet.  But I really liked it as a taste.

They also make rum, vodka, gin, and absinthe.  I avoid gin like the plague, even though they tried to convince me ad nauseum that it was good gin.  I don't care if it's more floral/botanical than juniper london/dry, whatever.  I've tried it all.  It's all disgusting.  Cough syrup tastes better.  Gin was on most of their flights, so I got the "Adventure Flight" that didn't include it. 

Unfortunately, I had to get in the car and drive 3.5 hours right after visiting (and walking 20 minutes to the car and a stop in a donut shop since the kid waited patiently), so I really couldn't have any more.  I'm starting to explore absinthe, so I was really curious.  They also had their version of a Sazerac on the menu, and I enjoy an OG one as best as I can make it at home.  I bet theirs is better.

Anyway, if any of you are in PGH for whatever reason, check it out.  The tour sounded cool, too.