Home Non Cigar Related
Options

The Bourbon and Whiskey Thread

Comments

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Debated a bottle of a few other things. What is the hive's opinion of talisker storm and oban?
    Oban is awesome for me.   The glenfiddich is my favorite for many years. 
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my favs JD. Great bourbon. The rye is fantastic as well.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    HawkeyeHawkeye Posts: 246 ✭✭✭✭
    Latest bottles I grabbed were Michters American whiskey (my fav) and a bottle of Aberlour A'bunadh, which I have heard great things about.
    Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.
  • Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So just branched out to the Wheat whiskeys. Find the taste interesting. Been a Rye fan for awhile. Really enjoyed this one!
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options
    Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a good rye.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Sad to say goodbye to this old friend.
    I could enjoy it, even if it did taste like bananas, but came to find it was perfect in a hot toddy... And that's exactly why my wife wants me to replace it, too. She's come to appreciate a boozy-lemony-honey blast of goodness on a chilly winter's Eve.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We don't get that quantity of Blantons for the entire state!
    Grabbing two is brilliant. Enjoy! 
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    Update on that Elijah Craig...
    PA liquor laws are awful, as are the prices.
    My wife and I were near the closest state-run wine and liquor store to grab some more bourbon.  They had a spot for that exact same bottle, but it was empty.  Next to it was the Elijah Craig Small Batch that isn't marked 12 years.  It cost more than the original bottle of 12 year did (which, granted, I bought on clearance in Mississippi for something like 50-60% off). 

I went ahead with the purchase, got it home and poured a bit.  It, too, tastes like bananas.  And it, too, makes a great toddy.  It's not quite as smooth but is very similar, to the point of not mattering in the toddy mixture. 

And since it wasn't the 12 year, she urged me to get a couple other things, too.

God, I love that woman!
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone tried Old Nick Carolina Bourbon? I'm a Bourbon fan and wondering how tasty is it.
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • Options
    Love getting gift cards for Christmas!!

• Options
    A couple more new guys. I have been gravitating towards the higher proof and cask strength stuff lately. Heard good things about the four roses, will try it with my smoke tonight! 

The makers mark cask strength is phenomenal  

• Options
    Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    I like that Four Roses Single Barrel. Haven’t had the other two yet. I’m new to whole bourbon thing
  • Options
    Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The creek will sneak up on you but the four roses is one of the best bourbons I've ever had
  • Options
    Cracked open the 4 roses yesterday and I have to agree - incredibly good for the price point.

We don't seem to get Weller around here but it seems popular, I see it posted in most of the forums that I participate in.
  • Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked this up today, store owners reccomendation because it is new to NM.
    Interesting hazelnut aftertaste. Not bad for 33.00 but not overly impressed either.
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,988 ✭✭✭✭✭

Willet Rye from the SnS club
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After some posts on here I may just finish off my last bottle of Four Roses Small Batch.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Usaf06 said:

Willet Rye from the SnS club
    This is a bottle I would get way too excited about. Looks awesome!  Had a nice haul today myself. Aberlour 16, aberlour abunadh, yellow spot, 1792 full proof single barrel, and tasters (200ml) of Lagavulin 16, talisker 10, and cragganmore 12. 
  • Options

• Options
    Big sale for who knows why. Having a tasting of Glenfarclas 10 and 12 with my Illusione MJ12

• Options
    Any other Laphroaig fans?  I don't know why I like that stuff so much.  By all accounts it should be nasty.  When I drink it, I feel like I should be alone and brooding and depressed.  It's what despair tastes like, and I love it.

Probably feel that way because it costs so much.  I was out last night and had a pour for $13.  For the 10 year. Decided for that, I'd walk next door to the store and buy a bottle of that.  Almost walked out with 3 different kinds.  The wife said happy Valentine's Day (a couple days late, but hey, who's to argue?)