Home Non Cigar Related
Options

The Bourbon and Whiskey Thread

Comments

• Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭

@gray4lines you definitely give me too much credit. LOL  I'd say the Glenmorangie original is definitely toward the top of my favorites list.  I currently have a bottle of Glenfiddich 12 year.  I remember guzzling this often back in the military without paying much attention to it at all.  Had to buy a bottle of it when I learned it was made not far from Inverness Scotland, which is where my family's ancestry began.

• Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I asked my better half to go to the basement to choose a bottle, she picked out redbreast 12, a fine Irish pour. 

TGIF 
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been thinking about Scotch versus Bourbon lately, this weekend I was watching a movie with my Wife and poured myself a Scotch (The Balvenie Doublewood 12 year) and since I was inside watching a movie there was no cigar.  I really picked up a dirty, iodine note to the Scotch that I don't normally notice, because I normally pair it with a cigar.  I guess I preferred Bourbon over Scotch before I smoked cigars due to this fact, so I think that pairing a cigar with the Scotch actually improves my enjoyment of the Scotch, which I've now come to imbibe on a regular basis.  It leaves me wondering if anyone else has spirits that they only enjoy or enjoy more when paired with cigars?
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    firehouseguyfirehouseguy Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta love the Colonel Taylor, one of my favorites!
    Cigars were made to be smoked, whiskey was made to be drank and women were made to be loved. The only thing I try to age is myself. 
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just picked up the same bottle of Taylor over the weekend. 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    4 years running and I missed the limited stocking of "Pappy" again. Sigh.....guess it's just not meant to be.
  • Options
    Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want a great selection of anything Spirits, check out Total Wine & More.Very good prices and they even ship and have a huge selection of cigars.
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    jarubla said:
    @jd50ae drink it however you like! 

How was that WL Weller? 

I could become accustomed to it, ain't bad at all.
    Isn't the Weller made from reject Pappy bourbon that doesn't make the cut? Seems like I've heard that. 
    The extremely hard to find W.L. Weller 12 year is the same barrels and spirit that don’t quite make the cut for the Pappy 12 year Lot B. At least that’s what I’m aware of haha
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    jarubla said:

How was that WL Weller? 

Isn't the Weller made from reject Pappy bourbon that doesn't make the cut? Seems like I've heard that. 
    The extremely hard to find W.L. Weller 12 year is the same barrels and spirit that don’t quite make the cut for the Pappy 12 year Lot B. At least that’s what I’m aware of haha
    Hey buddy, should've known you'd show up in this thread. Hope all is going well
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Saw this today at Frier Tuck in Forsythe IL. A bit out of my price range. MSRP is $60

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    jd50ae said:
    jarubla said:

How was that WL Weller? 

My favorite liquor store seems to have "Weller" all the time. They called me to tell me "Pappy" was in but even breaking every driving law on the books I was, alas, too late. So I picked up the "Weller" and that turned out to be a good thing. Also got another bottle of Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban. The Nectar d'or was also sold out.
  • Options
    variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    jd50ae said:
    jarubla said:

How was that WL Weller? 

My favorite liquor store seems to have "Weller" all the time. They called me to tell me "Pappy" was in but even breaking every driving law on the books I was, alas, too late. So I picked up the "Weller" and that turned out to be a good thing. Also got another bottle of Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban. The Nectar d'or was also sold out.
    Weller is weirdly allocated and tough to find in NJ. In the rare event you do find one on the shelf, it'll be the Antique Weller 107 and it's a very good bourbon for ~$30. 

As for Pappy, I think it's greatly overrated. I purchased a 23 year bottle last week and wasn't convinced it's worth the insane hype and price. It's a good bourbon if regularly available for about $100-$150.

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone mix their bourbon? Straight is just too extreme for this professional beer drinker.
  • Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    A teaspoon of water will "open up" bourbon or scotch, especially higher proof offerings. I like 1 ice cube in about a 2 ounce pour for most whiskey. 
    Older/ rare just a little water.
    Ginger ale or even Ginger beer is a good mixer.
    Post edited by Guitarded on
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    Bigshizza said:
    Does anyone mix their bourbon? Straight is just too extreme for this professional beer drinker.
    Cheaper stuff I mix with coke, and in some cases I will make a mixed drink like an old fashioned etc. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    variant2 said:
    jd50ae said:
    jd50ae said:
    jarubla said:

How was that WL Weller? 

Weller is weirdly allocated and tough to find in NJ. In the rare event you do find one on the shelf, it'll be the Antique Weller 107 and it's a very good bourbon for ~$30. 

As for Pappy, I think it's greatly overrated. I purchased a 23 year bottle last week and wasn't convinced it's worth the insane hype and price. It's a good bourbon if regularly available for about $100-$150.

You can always flip it on the secondary market and then go buy a lifetime supply of any other bourbon :)
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza said:
    Sip it neat, don't guzzle it like the beer you snow shoveler.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza said:
    Cheaper stuff I mix with coke, and in some cases I will make a mixed drink like an old fashioned etc. 
    Ginger ale with lots of ice and a lime.  Or do a Manhattan on the rocks.  Or just throw an ice cube in. 
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    variant2 said:
    jd50ae said:
    jd50ae said:
    jarubla said:

How was that WL Weller? 

You can always flip it on the secondary market and then go buy a lifetime supply of any other bourbon :)
    I'm not into flipping but I'll drink it on special occasions. I'm also going to share it with a few friends to teach them a lesson: all that glitters is not gold.

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anybody heard of Old Rip Van Winkle bourbon out of Frankfurt Kentucky? Good stuff 
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza said:
    Anybody heard of Old Rip Van Winkle bourbon out of Frankfurt Kentucky? Good stuff 

Yes, I saw a bottle of 10 yr old last weekend. To say it's popular would be an understatement. 

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    Bigshizza said:
    Old Rip is supposedly one of the best out there assuming you can find it and it doesn’t cost you your firstborn. It’s one of the holy grail whiskies for sure, enjoy Jim that’s special stuff ;)
  • Options
    That pot distilled willet is terrific stuff, enjoy!
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Their quality control leaves a little to be desired, I see one bottle isn't nearly as full as the other.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That bird dog does something just right for me. 
  • Options
    Nice the larceny is s great low buck winner. I’ve drank through all my reasonable and cheaper stuff and only have the really rare or silly expensive stuff left so I picked up a bottle of jack for mixing yesterday myself. 
  • Options
    Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @90+_Irishman I haven't popped the larceny yet but I don't anticipate that bird dog living out the week.