Home Non Cigar Related
Options

The Bourbon and Whiskey Thread

Comments

• Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    You made this thread your b*tch Jay. Nice finds
    Nick, after a statement like that, the only proper response is another trip to the fun store. Bout to give this one a pour at work. Been a PITA last few days
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Picked up some Nikka coffey grain. First bottle of Japanese whiskey and I'm exited to pop it!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Good work Gray! That is a fine dram. 

These are my my most recent pickups, auchentoshan American oak and three wood. 
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edna20 said:
    I did this. Will let you know how it turns out in 3 days! Those are dried apples in there. 
    Since I know you have good taste, I will forgive being forced to drink my Woodford Reserve and adding apple chips.
  • Options
    Hey @Gray4lines your post got me thinking about this little gem I had in my stash.

Having a post workout pour right now. Hell, its after 5 pm Atlantic, right?

• Options
    jarubla said:
    Hey @Gray4lines your post got me thinking about this little gem I had in my stash.

Having a post workout pour right now. Hell, its after 5 pm Atlantic, right?

Looks good! Single barrel?
  • Options
    It is interesting -- a blended whisky, but bottled at cask strength. Really curious to see what you think of the Coffey grain. I remember thinking it was quite good.
  • Options
    jarubla said:
    It is interesting -- a blended whisky, but bottled at cask strength. Really curious to see what you think of the Coffey grain. I remember thinking it was quite good.
    That is different. I don't think I have ever heard of that before.

I will have to give the coffey a try soon.  I remember trying it in a flight and being impressed, but it's been a little while.
  • Options
    @peter4jc I am not a Crown fan as far as the regular stuff. I like the Northern Harvest Rye. What did you think of it?
  • Options
    Went to the fun store for a Balvenie offering I have been eyeballing for a while
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jarubla said:
    @peter4jc I am not a Crown fan as far as the regular stuff. I like the Northern Harvest Rye. What did you think of it?
    I'm not a connoisseur by any stretch, but it's very drinkable... as good as anything else at $30.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Picked this up yesterday on my beer run to total wine. Its very good imoimage
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    ^^Looks good, Nick
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    Picked this up yesterday on my beer run to total wine. Its very good imoimage
    I liked that a lot
  • Options
    Grabbed a new one yesterday. Hard to properly describe the color. Very pretty. Can't wait to peel the foil and pull the cork
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasnt a big fan of that one Jay. I had to take my time with it.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    It is very wine centric and unique! I like it--hugely different from the nectar d'or (the only other Glenmorangie offering I have had before). 

Tonights pours started with the Quinta Ruban and is finishing with Blanton's. 

Never gonna go wrong with Blanton's!
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Drinking a few pours tonight; trying to introduce my baby sister to some good shi.t

American Prarie
    Eagle Rare
    Wild Turkey American Spirit (much better after it has sat for a while--opens it up)
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pick up Brad, heard nothing but great stuff about Whistlepig!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    I popped the Nikka and have had a few pours of it. Drinks very much like a bourbon, which is unsurprising given the mostly corn mash. Its on the sweeter side, but not too much.

Pairing it with a cigar I notice a little more of the malty flavor coming through. It's pretty smooth, with a very short clean finish. 
  • Options
    jbohonjbohon Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Picked up a bottle of Monkey Shoulder last week. It's been a long time since I've had a glass of scotch. I almost forgot how much I enjoyed it.  Now I'll have to try some of the ones you all keep going on about. :) 

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f@$# with me, I’ll kill you all.” -Gen. James Mattis, USMC
  • Options
    Monkey Shoulder is a great blended scotch, have a bottle of it myself and really enjoy it. I mostly drink bourbon but about once a month I do a scotch. Got a bottle of Fireside colorado bourbon for Vday from my wife, very smooth and pretty good for a new upstart.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a cup o joe with my favorite creamer!

• Options
    Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    Picked up a bottle of Eagle Rare last night.  Thanks to everyone here recommending it.  Very smooth.  I only had about two fingers worth last night.  I'll give it another taste tonight.  I'm a Blanton's freak so I was stoked to find this one.  Been going through the Buffalo Trace at the hotel room over the past few weeks for a nightly night cap.  Not going to waste my Blanton,s on a daily drink.  This will take the place of the Buffalo Trace I think.
  • Options
    MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Bobbo2009 said:
    Picked up a bottle of Eagle Rare last night.  Thanks to everyone here recommending it.  Very smooth.  I only had about two fingers worth last night.  I'll give it another taste tonight.  I'm a Blanton's freak so I was stoked to find this one.  Been going through the Buffalo Trace at the hotel room over the past few weeks for a nightly night cap.  Not going to waste my Blanton,s on a daily drink.  This will take the place of the Buffalo Trace I think.
    I love all offerings by Buffalo Trace. It is my family's favorite distillery as my parents live about an hour away. If all goes as planned, my sister will be getting married there in the fall!
  • Options
    Had a pour of Blade and Bow the other day and was very impressed. Went and found a bottle. 

That'll tonight's pour, I suspect
  • Options
    Sipping now
  • Options
    Ive been curious about that Blade and Bow, thanks for the heads up!