Home Non Cigar Related

The Bourbon and Whiskey Thread

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 27,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone gone to the Whiskies of the World event before?  It's coming to San Jose next year and sounds interesting.

http://whiskiesoftheworld.com/san-jose/#
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DAMNNNNNNNN
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
     MikeTodd 
    Fun fact! If you can find Ancient Age 10 year (so far I've only found it in Rite Aid), it is the Blanton's that didn't make the cut. Same mashbill and stored in Warehouse "H" ricks.
    In blind taste test, I could not tell the difference.
    I read a review of Ancient Age 10 Year and the reviewer said it was discontinued. The review was from 2014. Next time I'm at my local store I'll check but, if it is discontinued, and it is Blanton's seconds, and enough bourbon nerds know this as fact, I suppose every one of these has been snatched up by now, huh?

https://whiskeylately.com/bourbon/ancient-ancient-age-10-year/

• MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
     MikeTodd 
    Fun fact! If you can find Ancient Age 10 year (so far I've only found it in Rite Aid), it is the Blanton's that didn't make the cut. Same mashbill and stored in Warehouse "H" ricks.
    In blind taste test, I could not tell the difference.
    I read a review of Ancient Age 10 Year and the reviewer said it was discontinued. The review was from 2014. Next time I'm at my local store I'll check but, if it is discontinued, and it is Blanton's seconds, and enough bourbon nerds know this as fact, I suppose every one of these has been snatched up by now, huh?

https://whiskeylately.com/bourbon/ancient-ancient-age-10-year/

Probably. It all depends on how many borubon nerds are in your area. I know they (Buffalo Trace) are having a hard time keeping up with demand so maybe they are optimizing their bourbon instead of making a seconday product. Hopefully this does not affect quality.
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've looked every where for the ancient age 10 year and haven't located any
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    jarubla said:

Cool Video.. not my favorite scotch or even islay but dig the statement.

Happy Holidays to you too. 

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Throw a stogie in there and that's a great new years.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    Grabbed a few things from the fun store. I am iffy about the crown--some yahoo ;) on the innerwebz called it his #1 of 2016 a few months back. 

Of the bottles, I have only had the makers and the American prairie before. Hope to sip each this weekend...
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    jarubla said:
    Grabbed a few things from the fun store. I am iffy about the crown--some yahoo ;) on the innerwebz called it his #1 of 2016 a few months back. 

Of the bottles, I have only had the makers and the American prairie before. Hope to sip each this weekend...
    If you can return the crown, do so.. let my mistake help others..
    The yahoo your speaking of is Jim Murray,, renowned whisky afficiando.  I knew better, but, I like my rye and fell into the hype. Your results may vary but in my opinion no go.. luckily it wasn't too costly a mistake and it isn't swill by any means but no comparison to High West. Mixer
    Thx for the feedback @The_Kid

I am willing to try just about any whisky/whiskey varietal. Fun to experiment, and even the stuff that sucks is still good. sorta like sex and like chocolate...even the s.hitty stuff is still good.

Thank God whiskey ain't gin. Blech...
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy New Year toast with my wonderful wife. image
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
    Guitarded said:
    Happy New Year toast with my wonderful wife. image
    That's awesome Mike! The Single Oak Project was one of the coolest things they have done! I had the privilege of tasting several of the experimental batches.
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MikeTodd that was the smoothest bourbon I have ever tasted. Expensive but worth every penny. 
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
    @Guitarded. The ones I had were very good. In total they did 192 Barrels and Barrel #80 was the winner. It has a rye mashbill and will be aged 8 years. It should start being bottled in 2025.
  • BobCatBobCat Posts: 3
    The_Kid said:
    jarubla said:

Cool Video.. not my favorite scotch or even islay but dig the statement.

Happy Holidays to you too. 

The_Kid said:
    jarubla said:

If you can return the crown, do so.. let my mistake help others..
    The yahoo your speaking of is Jim Murray,, renowned whisky afficiando.  I knew better, but, I like my rye and fell into the hype. Your results may vary but in my opinion no go.. luckily it wasn't too costly a mistake and it isn't swill by any means but no comparison to High West. Mixer
    Kid try the Jack Daniel's Sinatra Select. Real smooth!
    Some nice grabs, way to go and enjoy fellas!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Picked this up, it'll be fun to do a tasting with! 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
    Very cool!
  • BobCatBobCat Posts: 3
    >:) LOL
    Tonight's purchases. The flor de cana gets an honorary spot in this thread as I've been eyeballing it for a while. Dat Old Forester though...
    edited January 2017
    Having a pour of The Ardmore at work tonight. Peaty Scotch is so weird. If you'd have asked me ten years ago that I'd enjoy sipping a strong beverage which tasted like bandaids I'd have laughed. This ish is Nooice
    Why would you taste bandaids?
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

Nick, here's a pretty good article on it. I suppose I am officially smelling band-aids (per the humans at Popular Science):

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2012-06/fyi-why-does-scotch-smell-band-aids
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 27,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phenolic is a defect in green coffee too. 
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    Why would you taste bandaids?
    jarubla said:
    Nick, here's a pretty good article on it. I suppose I am officially smelling band-aids (per the humans at Popular Science):

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2012-06/fyi-why-does-scotch-smell-band-aids

Found a unicorn (at least in these parts) at the DABC tonight. Stopped by a store I don't normally frequent and this one was parked by the register/was their last one 
    edited January 2017
    You made this thread your b*tch Jay. Nice finds
    -- Winston Churchill

Nice pick ups I love my EH Taylor!