Home Non Cigar Related

Landslide

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2020 in Non Cigar Related

I used to live in this part of TN. Landslide claimed two houses (one house was caught on video) at Chalk Bluff on the Tennessee River recently due to exceptionally warm and rainy winter weather.

I had always noticed the erosion of the bluff while boating. I would notice the progression of small chunks and sometimes bigger chunks of these people's back yards having fallen. I knew these houses would eventually be claimed by erosion but I had gotten used to the idea that it could go on for a long time. And I hadn't even thought about it going as far as the road but all this rain made it happen in a few days.

It took a few days for the landslide to claim the roadway also.

Drone footage of the bluff shortly before the big slide. Notice all the small slides underway, and that big chunk of driveway falling in at the 4:00 minute mark. (house on the left)

Comments

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

No passing on the left

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn!

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @webmost could slide through there on his scooter.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020

Well, sorry, I screwed up my original post. All of those were supposed to be videos and I see that only the last one posted right. I'll try again on the first three. Hope it works.

This next one shows the morning after the two houses went down the hill.

And this next one shows most of the same area but taken after the road also gave way.

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be devastating to watch your house slide over the side, wonder if he got his cigars out. Must have happened rather quickly or you would think they would at least hooked up that 5th wheel and pulled it out.

A little dirt never hurt
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

The house with the RV (I think) was still occupied up until the day of. I think everything started really moving one day and they evacuated with very little prep time. Probably the local officials wouldn't let them go back in. Wise move. Just think how bad it would have been if they had said, "OK, you can go in for just a few items", and then the house takes off down the slope with them inside.

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder if that was Ricky pushing that string of barges along in that second video.... 😜