Home General Discussion

Cigar bar etiquette

Hey ya'll, hope that the Spring is treating you well.  I have a rather dumb question, but I'm not sure who else to ask.

There is a local cigar bar that I'd like to try out.  Is it considered to be bad form to bring my own sticks to smoke as long as I buy a beverage or two?  Not sure if they will have what I want at a price that I'm willing to pay.  I don't mind paying for alcohol as I don't keep it around the house (other than beer).  They have a membership, but it's not required to simply pop in and hang out (I"m guessing it gives you access to their humi to store your own stuff).

Thanks a bunch!
-D

Comments

• ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    Welcome to the forum. In my opinion, bringing your own sticks wouldn't be the right thing to do, especially if you want to build a relationship. Granted the prices at your local B & M will probably more but all you need to purchase is one to get started. Consider the overhead the owner has to pay....besides what a great place to get away and hang out. You never know, getting to know the "boys" might bring you a lot more rewards.
  • phishermanphisherman Posts: 79
    While I agree that you should purchase tobacco realted items to support the cigar lounge; I will say that bringing in and smoking your own cigars would not be taboo. Many people like to age their cigars and keep them at a different rH than the shop may keep their sticks at. They also may chage a cutting fee for cigars that you bring in to smoke. So, smoke your own if you like; but also buy sticks from the shop to support them.
  • AVGeekAVGeek Posts: 7
    That's what I was thinking. I debated on bringing one of my own since I do like mine a little drier than normal (around 65%), although I wouldn't rule out buying one of theirs and pocketing it for later.  I'd definitely buy a drink or two.

Thanks to all who responded.
    -D
  • i actually am in the process of opeing a cigar shop here in 2 months. and though i don't have historical experience as a cigar shop owner i do know how i feel now about it. i think, if someone brings their own humi into my shop and lights up, it would be nice if they would support the shop by buying something. i mean, thats just polite ya know. i don't take mcdonalds to burger king. alot of times i'll go to herfs and someone will bring something new or exotic and he'll bring some extra's for everyone to try and thats cool too. a cool thing about cigar shops is, its not just a business, its a family. don't bring dinner to your grand mamma's house if grand mamma has dinner goin in the kitchen. also, being a tobacconist is purely a postmodern art. its what you like and what works for you. so no cigar shop owner is gonna stop you from bringing in your own stuff, but they could, from that point on, look at you the same way they look at a cigarette smoker that lights up a marlboro in their lounge. happy smoking bro
  • nailsnails Posts: 18
    I start by buying one or two cigars but I always have one of my own to smoke if I choose to.Support your local vendor- is my standard answer.Usually a great place to try new cigars and get some feed back from others.
  • VinniumVinnium Posts: 12

What is the easiest way to locate a cigar friendly bar, restaraunt or lounge in my city, or a city i will be traveling too. Thanks

Brian

• phishermanphisherman Posts: 79
    Google. Unless you know a smoker in that city; it can be tough. The internet is your best frined to find a new place. Good luck in your search.

Dave
  • there are also great places that aren't exactly on the internet map too. like in your garage with all your buddies.
  • AVGeekAVGeek Posts: 7
    If we go we plan on buying a shot or two of something to support the place. Everyone should make a living.

In the interim, my usual hangout is my back deck.  Wife put some flowers in and I've got a hammock and my grill out there.  Life is complete.
    -=D
  • rickspinrickspin Posts: 4
    The few places I have available to me in my town have no real problem with bring in your own smokes as long as you but something from them. It's only right to support them as there are very few places to smoke indoors anymore. I usually end up buying some cigars (3-5) that I want to try and then go to my travel humi and smoke what I brought from home. That way, my local shop keeps their doors open & I don't feel like I stiffed them.
  • PuertoRicoShawnPuertoRicoShawn Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭

@chrishollandband said:
    i actually am in the process of opeing a cigar shop here in 2 months. and though i don't have historical experience as a cigar shop owner i do know how i feel now about it.
    i think, if someone brings their own humi into my shop and lights up, it would be nice if they would support the shop by buying something. i mean, thats just polite ya know. i don't take mcdonalds to burger king. alot of times i'll go to herfs and someone will bring something new or exotic and he'll bring some extra's for everyone to try and thats cool too. a cool thing about cigar shops is, its not just a business, its a family. don't bring dinner to your grand mamma's house if grand mamma has dinner goin in the kitchen.

also, being a tobacconist is purely a postmodern art. its what you like and what works for you. so no cigar shop owner is gonna stop you from bringing in your own stuff, but they could, from that point on, look at you the same way they look at a cigarette smoker that lights up a marlboro in their lounge.
    happy smoking

How did the shop work out?

When you’re finished changing, you’re finished. —Ben Franklin

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,398 ✭✭✭✭✭

See, there's the problem with digging up ancient threads... sometimes you have to look at when the thread ended, and maybe when the last poster was active.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

Didnt know there was a last active. I see it now. Apologies. Lesson learned and I am just trying to read and hope to minimize redundant questions. This thread answered a question so success!

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,398 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's all good, Shawn. You can also glean some good info by clicking on a username and seeing their profile.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

@peter4jc said:
    It's all good, Shawn. You can also glean some good info by clicking on a username and seeing their profile.

I see that now. didnt cross my mind. Saw the original Date of the post which piqued my interest

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's some gems amongst the old posts, a lot of times the people are long gone and aren't going to reply, but the information still good, most of the time. Get off my lawn young whippersnapper.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Post edited by Bob_Luken on
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

Calm down... @Bob_Luken

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?

I will absolutely take young whippersnapper and hold on to it for dear life. Enter midlife crisis!

• BullSquatchBullSquatch Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭✭

I follow one very simple rule when going to a cigar lounge. Take 1, Buy 1.

I also always take my own cutter and lighter.

"Some people meditate, I smoke cigars." - Ron Perlman
    "...I intend to go home tonight and smoke a cigar to the glory of God." - Charles Spurgeon
    Two Time Cigar Lottery Winner

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't fart in the humidor.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭

@AVGeek said:
    Hey ya'll, hope that the Spring is treating you well.  I have a rather dumb question, but I'm not sure who else to ask.

There is a local cigar bar that I'd like to try out.  Is it considered to be bad form to bring my own sticks to smoke as long as I buy a beverage or two?  Not sure if they will have what I want at a price that I'm willing to pay.  I don't mind paying for alcohol as I don't keep it around the house (other than beer).  They have a membership, but it's not required to simply pop in and hang out (I"m guessing it gives you access to their humi to store your own stuff).

Thanks a bunch!
    -D

I would ask before bringing in your own sticks. Some places have a policy not to allow outside cigars. I usually bring a stick of my own, then buy a cigar there either to smoke or to take home to enjoy later. I also will buy a drink or two. Gotta support your local spots.

"Long ashes my friends."

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭

@BullSquatch said:

I also always take my own cutter and lighter.

Yes, very good point. I never use any of the "house" cutters. Usually kinda dull...not to mention, I don't want someone else's saliva on my cigar.

"Long ashes my friends."