Home General Discussion

Taking the Band Off of the Cigar

I'm pretty certain we all agree that the band must come off at some point. But is there any merit to the band saving the cigar from expanding and cracking?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTyfwGX41M0&t=8s

Comments

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely. If I have a crack near the band and the thing is starting to blow up, sometimes the band will save it, or allow me to smoke it longer until I have to take it off, at which point it'll blow up.

In other cases, especially skip Martin smokes, trying to remove the band will destroy the wrapper or make a hole in it.

Of course, the leaf by Oscar has a band made from homogenized tobacco and you can (and I have) smoked through it.

Don't look ↑
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

I have on occasion noticed the swelling as it began, slid the band down and prevented further swelling. For awhile.

I have also tried to slide the band and pulled half the wrapper off the cigar.

It is a hit or miss and not much way to tell, until it's over.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • ScotchnSmokeScotchnSmoke Posts: 134

@VegasFrank I have heard about the leaf by Oscar before. Is that a good smoke?

I never take the band off until it's about the burn, but I am curious to see if that's a thing. I appreciate the insight.

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    Absolutely. If I have a crack near the band and the thing is starting to blow up, sometimes the band will save it, or allow me to smoke it longer until I have to take it off, at which point it'll blow up.

In other cases, especially skip Martin smokes, trying to remove the band will destroy the wrapper or make a hole in it.

Of course, the leaf by Oscar has a band made from homogenized tobacco and you can (and I have) smoked through it.

Romacraft designs their bands to slide off. I have found it easy to do on some bit most still grab the wrapper as you slide it

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

@Usaf06 Does the band come off in the cellophane? That always annoys me.

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Band has allowed me to finish a cigar a few times when the want to crack or blowout towards the end.

Had a few bands stick in the cello before.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe Perdomo is a good guy and has done a lot of good for the industry. His videos always have some good, educational points. But I don't like the way he presents his ideas. He states things like they are gospel, and sometimes they're not. Whether it's his lighting video or this one; they are guidelines... guidelines that he likes to follow, but you or me, perhaps we have our own way of doing things. What works best for him may not work best for you, but the videos are condescending (to me) because he states his case like his way is the best way.

I've had very few wrappers that were harmed by taking the band of sooner than Perdomo suggests. I've never had the 'stress cracks' he refers to, under the band. I very much prefer the feel of the wrapper leaf in my hand rather than a paper band, especially a big, glossy band. Most of my bands come off sooner in the smoking experience as opposed to later, without issue. I also keep some cigar glue nearby for general repairs while smoking, so I'm prepared for Perdomo's avered risks, though they are rare as hen's teeth.

@Bob_Luken mentioned on Vherf the other night that he has experimented with warming up the band w/ a single torch lighter, just enough to melt/soften the glue when the band doesn't want to peel off nicely, with good success. Thanks for the idea, Bob, that's something I may try for the more stubborn bands.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Besides being overpriced and overrated, try getting the band off of an Opus X without cracking the wrapper. I know it’s possible, but a rare occurrence.

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you think there's a market for a band remover?

Do you care if the remover cuts the band or do you want it intact?

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    Just fired up this killer bee for lancero Tuesday (close enough!)....band still in the cello. Thanks Nick @Usaf06

Impressive convenience. The only other place I have seen that happen is the FX Smith's Sons cigars. Not all of them have bands; in fact, half of them don't even have cellos, cause most guys, when they're buying at the rate of fifty in a box, they don't have the time or patience between gars to remove a cello. But those that do, the band is trapped inside the cello, not glued, and so it simply falls off when you remove the sleeve, and stays inside the sleeve. I know that even smoking a single gar a day, when I have to fuss with picking and peeling at the goddam band, it is an annoyance... specially when a bit of wrapper caught w/ glue peels off with it. There's even one FX Smith's cigar where the band has a red pull tab, like the pull tab round the top of a cigarette pack, so that you just pull the red & the thing goes naked. These type features ought to be more common, like the pre-punched head. Hate those gars with two elaborate bands and a foot ribbon. Just let me get to the frikkin baccy, please.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

The pulltab idea is fantastic.

Don't look ↑
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

...and some bands have a sort of 'post-it-note' adhesive that comes off clean... they're great but I can't think of which brands do that right now.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

@peter4jc I understand where you're coming from. Everything in cigars is so subjective that there is no matter of fact way to do anything really, which is kind of awesome. I agree that Nick Perdomo is a great guy. I have met him at one of his in store cigar events and the man tries really hard to give everyone as much time and his undivided attention as possible. I have met other manufacturers who barely gave me the time of day.

I actually think the exact opposite about his videos. In several of the videos, I find it annoying how he's trying so hard to not offend anyone that he prefaces every point with "and there is no wrong way' or "but your preferred way is best, and even "this is just my opinion," like in his cigar cutter video. I feel like there is no winning on YouTube, either you come off as not authoritative enough or too authoritative (and with his 30+ years growing tobacco, I would say he is an authoritative figure in the cigar industry as would Fuente Jr.). I do think he can be a little hard handed sometimes but I also think he is trying his level best to give out good info. Going back, you can see these beginner cigar videos started in January and there are many changes to each episode, I think he is trying to figure out what works best. One channel I like a lot is cigars daily and I feel like Tim suffers from the same conundrum in that some of his videos a lot of people say that he didn't go far enough and other videos they say he went too far. Being an educational figure in the cigar world is no easy task being that us cigars smokers typically don't like being told what to do. I am one of those, but I am always open to learning something new.... with a grain of salt of course.

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Never is a strong word. Nick P. starts off by saying you should never remove the band from "this cigar" (pointing to his own cigar in his hand). OK, so if what he says is true, that his band ladies apply the bands very tightly, I believe there is merit, and common sense, to his warning that removing a tight band off a Perdomo cigar too early could cause cracked wrappers. However, not all bands are tight. (His may be tight always). But, if I can slide any band, I don't have any concern that removing it early will cause a problem. If it's not budging at all, then I would assume that the best practice is to wait as long as possible. It could either be glued to the wrapper and cause a tear, or if the band was tight enough, it could allow expansion of stress cracks. (Just like he said.)

Overall, I think he is providing a good instructional series of videos. And you can't please everyone. Having said that, I can find things to both praise and critique in this video series. One thing I don't particularly care for is how he introduces himself. "I'm Nick Perdomo, president of Perdomo Cigars". Take it easy Nick. Your name IS the company's name, so I already assumed you're in charge. (Maybe it's just me.)

It's just you, Bob. Tobacco is a family business so last names don't always tell you who the owner is.

@Bob_Luken I agree, most people can extrapolate the rest of the information there. Also in the beginning of the video he points to it and says "....until it's absolutely ready." within the first 10 seconds. Click bait? Slightly, but not as bad as many others have done in the past.

@Bob_Luken @Yakster I agree with both of you. I assume he is the CEO, but as Yakster said, there are companies with family names run by people who are not in the family. Also, Nick's son Nicholas Perdomo, III is the director of sales.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Band off. Band on. Whatever boats your float.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

Try talking dirty to it. Might help it come off easier

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@deadman said:

Even if I already bought it dinner? Well, OK, whatever it takes.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    edited May 2020

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@deadman said:

Even if I already bought it dinner? Well, OK, whatever it takes.

edited May 2020

LMAO! You guys crack me up.

The primary and secondary bands on the La Palina Nicaragua Oscuro that @IndustMech bombed me came right off, no bandplay required.

In contrast, yesterday's Mi Querida from @IndustMech took a lot of fingering to finally get that band off. That band was tight!