Home General Discussion

How to remove old magnet plates from cigar lid

Has anyone done that before. How did you do it?

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, but I'd try a little heat from a jet lighter on the metal plate, and then try to pry it off with a putty knife. But you might end up with some glue remaining that would be impossible to ever remove. And don't try sanding the glue off. The wood is too soft and will cause a crater. (I have done that before,.......causing craters in spanish cedar by sanding it.)

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why? Why would you?

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    Because, magnets!!!

Oh...magnets...yeah, that's right, magnets. Fvcking magnets!

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just wear your tinfoil helmet - you’ll be okay.... 😜

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

If this is a serious question, here is what I would do.
    1. Not give a **** and leave them.
    2. Throw the piece of **** out
    3. Heat a 2in scrapper/mud knife until glowing. Wait until it it slightly cools as to not scorch the wood, then go at it. Also heat the plate, this should take it off clean.
    4. Use heat gun very low and gently to, by thumb remove the glue.
    5. If you don't have these things or know what I'm talking about follow steps one or two.
    6. You are welcome.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Throw the cigar boxes in the fire pit
    2. Check for remaining magnet plates when dumping the ash
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

A scrapper or a scroller saw, @Patrickbrick?

Don't look ↑

But seriously, fight magnets with magnets. Glue some metal to a piece of Spanish cedar. Then, stick the metal plate to the magnet. Voila! No magnets shown. As a bonus, you have a magnetized metal plate behind that cedar suitable for mounting more magnetic hygrometer and humidification devices.

You're welcome.

Don't look ↑

I'm still confused why I get **** for owning a power tool. Just because you "tools" don't know what they are or how to use them doesn't mean I should keep getting crap. I don't mind the crap I just don't get why. It's an actual saw, would it have been better I said jig saw? Even though it's not?

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Patrickbrick said:
    I'm still confused why I get **** for owning a power tool. Just because you "tools" don't know what they are or how to use them doesn't mean I should keep getting crap. I don't mind the crap I just don't get why. It's an actual saw, would it have been better I said jig saw? Even though it's not?

Demonstrational video, of the Scroller Saw, would help

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even Google has never heard of a scroller saw

edited May 2020

@Patrickbrick said:

You're getting crap for it because you spelled scraper with two ps. It's a misnaming of a tool, which brings us back to scroller saw, which is just a weird looking jig saw. It's okay, you can call it whatever you want, sparkles.... :#

Don't look ↑
    edited May 2020

Google is retarded then. I can't spell for ****, my grammar is bad, punctuation is bad, I hate glitter, call me out make fun of me all you want about that crap. That is all true and undisputed, but to continuously rag on me about an actual tool I own is weird to me.

MOW badge received.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just wear your tinfoil helmet - you’ll be okay.... 😜

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still have no idea what OP is asking about, never having seen magnet plates on a box lid.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

@peter4jc said:
    I still have no idea what OP is asking about, never having seen magnet plates on a box lid.

I'm guessing he means the lid of a desktop humidor. Most digital hygrometers have magnets on the backside for this purpose. Remember those metal plates included with little digital hygrometers? The metal plates have adhesive and you apply it where you want your hygrometer stay, usually under the lid of your desktop humidor.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just keep the metal plate and put a magnetic sticker over it.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob_Luken said:

@peter4jc said:

I'm guessing he means the lid of a desktop humidor. Most digital hygrometers have magnets on the backside for this purpose. Remember those metal plates included with little digital hygrometers? The metal plates have adhesive and you apply it where you want your hygrometer stay, usually under the lid of your desktop humidor.

Yeah, that got explained to me last night on Vherf. And I said, just leave 'em, they're not hurting anything.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why in the h.e. double hockey sticks am I reading this? lol.
    I'm half drunk and even I know that you just hit Ebay or Amazon for magnets.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."