Home General Discussion

awesome and like buttons

silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

do you hit one of these buttons only if you have smoked the particular referenced stick? Or if you like the brand? Or what, if you want to be supportive? "Enquireing minds want to know"

Comments

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with most everything you post.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, hadn't thought of the mess of me-too posts. Carry on.

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Grawls said:

@peter4jc said:
    While I agree the buttons are pretty much meaningless in that they don't convey much info in an accurate way, they serve a purpose; they let us know someone has input (whatever that might be) without them having to post. Imagine how messy the forum would be if every button hit was a post.

Agree.

LOL

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

If someone posts an awesome cigar I hit the awesome button. If it's a meh cigar I dont hit the button

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tend to think of it "someone is smoking a cigar, that's awesome", but I'll hold off if the cigar sucks in my opinion, because sucky cigars are not awesome.

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was trying to use the like button more because every cigar is not as awesome as the next. If someone smokes a My Father, which comes to mind because I'm enjoying one now, it may only get a like. But the next post containing a Bishop's Blend might get an awesome because it's a much better cigar in my opinion. I've barely been looking through the What Are You Smoking threads lately though.

• TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me its simple for the like and awesome buttons. If I don't view a bunch of new posts nothing gets hit. If I view a post and don't care for it nothing gets hit. If I like someones post, picture, cigar or haul the like button gets hit. If I love someones post, picture, cigar or haul the awesome button gets hits. Now I do believe most if not all of us including myself have been guilty by hitting the awesome button a lot of the time...
    But maybe not, a lot if not everyone might just think everything is awesome. B)

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

This is a timely topic, thanks Edward, because I've recently been considering re-evaluating my use of the reaction buttons. I feel like I hit awesome a lot, I do hit like for cigars that aren't my to preferences, but I think I'm going to re-scale my ratings. Sometimes the awesome is not so much about the cigar but the situation. I don't really look at my stats and don't really worry too much about it, maybe I should since I've been flagged for Spam once and Abuse 4 times. I think the spam was unappreciated humor and the abuse was probably my "welcoming committee" posts to members who appear to be spamming the site or doing a drive-by to self-promote. Update: two abuses were for my "welcoming committee" posts and two abuses were for unappreciated poetry posts in a gun thread.

I agree with others that we should be able to see who hits disagree, I disagree with some posts, purely as a mater of taste or opinion, but that doesn't mean I don't like the poster. I guess posting a dissenting opinion might be a better option than an anonymous disagree. Making it anonymous makes it more ominous.

I find it a curious twist of the reaction system on the forum that we give awesomes when someone gets bombed which increases the recipient's awesome count instead of the sender.

Sometimes I miss the time before we had all the reaction buttons where we would post replies to things we liked and spur conversation.

I'll endeavor to be fairer with my reactions. Maybe we need new cigar rating reactions like "great cigar", "awesome cigar", "yard gar" but that would take too much space.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Far_North_64Far_North_64 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭

I try and save the awesome for when someone gets bombed. It is for the fact that someone thought enough of a BOTL/SOTL to send them. I may not enjoy the cigars they sent personally but it's awesome that they sent them.

Now this is not the end of the cigar. It is not even the beginning of the end of the cigar. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning of the cigar.

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TruDog said:
    Ive been wanting a ...WooF... button ever since Ive joined.

Ah, but then you’d probably pee on the carpet.... 😜

• ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless that person posts that they don't like what their smoking, I assume they're enjoying it, so I hit awesome....My options on someone else's tastes are irreverent.

I think I'll just hit WTF form now on...….

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

^^My WTF^^ Just 'cause.

In truth, it's quite subjective for me. On the "...smoking..." threads I usually just skim through. Occasionally something catches my eye, usually because I think highly of that cigar, and I'll hit a Like or Awesome. On the humorous or opinion threads I'm a little more attentive. Many I simply read and move on. I like the buttons because it allows for a quick recognition.

We still need an "Eeew!" button. And I didn't even know that there was one for "Abuse"?

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    ^^My WTF^^

Or is it? Is that my disagree? Maybe...

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is a post still awesome if you've seen the picture already on another thread? Is it twice as awesome?

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    Is a post still awesome if you've seen the picture already on another thread? Is it twice as awesome?

No, for those we need a "waste of bandwidth" button. LOL

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis