Home Cigar 101

Leave 'em wrapped or set them free?

gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
Just received my Don Pepin Garcia DD sampler (bought 2) and was wondering if it would be best to leave them wrapped in the cellophane they came in or take them out. My humi has room and I plan on allowing them a nice long rest (won't be easy). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    It's all really a matter of preference. A lot of people will tell you it's better one way or the other but it's up to you. Personally I leave mine in the cello just so they are protected from gettin beaten up whenever I take em out to smell them or do inventory or whatever
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Opinions differ drastically, but there's a general consensus that since cello breathes, it's fine to leave on, so there's really no wrong answer here. But I take the cello off if I'm aging the sticks in a humidor that's only used for aging, and leave it on if they're in a humi I'm gonna be pawing around in
  • SaVasSaVas Posts: 250
    I leave'em as I get'em, up until I smoke'em.

If they come wrapped in cello they stay that way. Cello has several good points. If ever you find a cigar with beetle holes in it, the cellophane might have kept beetles in only that cigar, or if one of the critters gets out, it might be less likely to find another home. I consider the cellophane like a condom. If a cigar gets moldy for some reason, chances are the mold will be less likely to intrude on the other cigars, and you can get rid of the bad one. Also I agree, it helps keep damage low from cigars getting beaten up.
    Somewhere I read that beetles can eat their way through cellophane, so I'm not sure how much it helps with those little SOB's
  • michaelharveymichaelharvey Posts: 201
    i guess im weird when it comes to this. i cut the ends off but leave the main part of the cigar covered. it takes a while to do but i get to look at each cigar before to go in my humi.
  • gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    Thanks to all. I'm learning so much since finding this forum.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    I guess I am a little weird also...however, I cut some of the bottoms off of the cello...and leave the majority of them completely covered. I have a combination of both, some cut and some uncut. Both seem to work with no problem. I do believe the cello helps protect them in storage.
  • lol, that's exactly what I used to do. Till I got lazy one day and just started leaving them on.

I've been collecting for years and I have a good mix of cigars in the wrapper, out of the wrapper, and yes even some with the ends cut off. They all look, taste, and smell great!

Enjoy
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    Somewhere I read that beetles can eat their way through cellophane, so I'm not sure how much it helps with those little SOB's
    that is correct. cellophane is actually made from cellulose from wood, cotton, hemp, and therefore is easily chewed through by beetles.
  • Is there a way to know if a stick has a beetle? how common are they? how long till they come out of the stick?
    Then I guess I got lucky. Last year I ordered a box of cigars from another site. When I received them, I started putting the singles in my humidor. Then I noticed two had the tell all sign of holes in them. Out of 20 cigars, two were like a collander, the rest hole free. I froze all 20 sticks for a few days, the reaclimated them via the fridge and the humidor, threw the two swiss cheese cigars away, and haven't seen a beetle hole since (knock on wood).

It doesnt surprise me though. Those little pesky buggars are voracious!
    Crusader1545:
    Is there a way to know if a stick has a beetle? how common are they? how long till they come out of the stick?
    SaVas already hit the nail on the head with the symptoms and cure. You usually get beetles when your humidity gets too high, above 75%RH or so. The eggs are microscopic, and despite growers trying to eradicate them, the eggs are on most cigars due to their microscopic size. You've probably smoked a bunch of them already, since the problem only arises if they hatch
  • thanks macro and savas I appreciate the info.....now when I go home I gotta check my sticks lol.
    Beetles love summer cigar shipments, especially ones that take a week to arrive. Nothing like sitting in a hot USPS or UPS truck. Nice and humid too!.

If in doubt and its been hot and humd, let a new shipment get to room temperature in a cool part of the house, then place the shipment in the freezer for 3 to 4 days to kill the eggs/beetles. Remove the cigar shipment an place them in the fridge for about 2 days then remove them from the fridge, place in cool area of the house for a day, then put them in the humidor to reaclimate them to proper temp and humidity. (at least that is what I do from time to time in the summer)
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    xmacro:
    Crusader1545:
    Is there a way to know if a stick has a beetle? how common are they? how long till they come out of the stick?
    SaVas already hit the nail on the head with the symptoms and cure. You usually get beetles when your humidity gets too high, above 75%RH or so. The eggs are microscopic, and despite growers trying to eradicate them, the eggs are on most cigars due to their microscopic size. You've probably smoked a bunch of them already, since the problem only arises if they hatch
    I thought it had something to do with temperature above 75 degrees?
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Fourtotheflush:
    xmacro:
    Crusader1545:
    I thought it had something to do with temperature above 75 degrees?
    Both actually temps and humidity, with 75 being the nasty number.
    ah, you're right; degrees + RH is what I should have said