Home Non Cigar Related

How much do you trust G00gle

dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

I understand when you are looking for BBQ's on the internet you will be inundated with ads for BBQ's, fair game. I had a friend in the car and he was talking to his daughter about beds for his step grand daughter. My phone was on to the extent that I could receive calls but dormant. Now when I am on the internet I get ads for beds, I haven't looked for a bed in years. Does G00gle listen in even when your phone is standing by?

A little dirt never hurt

Comments

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happens to my family all the time. Talking on the phone, live conversations, and even texting

• CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't had it happen to me, but I've heard of that happening before to a few different people. I don't get too many ads anymore though since figuring out how to put an adblocker on my phone. You should look into that if it's annoying, but you'll have to use google to find out how to do it for your phone, which is ironic.

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

WTF, so if I would talk about overthrowing a Trump government they would put me in touch with operatives to make it happen but the same scenario with a Biden government would have the FBI knocking on the door. Fvck me, who saw this coming?

A little dirt never hurt
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dirtdude said:
    WTF, so if I would talk about overthrowing a Trump government they would put me in touch with operatives to make it happen but the same scenario with a Biden government would have the FBI knocking on the door. Fvck me, who saw this coming?

Absolutely everyone has seen this coming for years.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

We've been signing our rights away for years.....We have no one to blame but our selves.

@CharlieHeis said:
    Every time you download an app you should read the permissions it is allowed on your phone. Some apps want all access. Ridiculous.

I have deleted every app my phone allowed and disabled the rest. They turn themselves back on after about a week it's rather annoying to keep going through, but I'm paranoid so why not. And yes I know it's still listening, tracking and storing every key stroke. Doesn't matter what you disable.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you think turning off, unplugging, or pulling the battery out kills your devices, you're deluded. Virtually all of them have an internal power source that keeps things running, probably including the mic and camera.

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watched a few minutes of Christiana Amanpour last night, her guest was a woman, Danish I think, who is going to be in charge of the new Big Brother Watchdog that decides what stays up and what gets taken down on Facebook. This is an international cooperative.

I have mixed feelings. I've never been on Facebook, but I understand that there is some disturbing stuff that gets on there. Mark Zuckerberg says that Facebook can't keep up with the monitoring. I certainly don't want Isis or Al Qaeda posting beheadings performed with dull hunting knives, so, that's good. Where will it end, though?

Who will guard us from the guardians?

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

And who fact-checks the fact-checkers?

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

@Trykflyr_1 said:
    If you think turning off, unplugging, or pulling the battery out kills your devices, you're deluded. Virtually all of them have an internal power source that keeps things running, probably including the mic and camera.

I put mine in the microwave......Cello on of coarse.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maka a Faraday cage for it.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

Popcorn setting works best.

• NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Patrickbrick said:

@CharlieHeis said:
    Every time you download an app you should read the permissions it is allowed on your phone. Some apps want all access. Ridiculous.

I have deleted every app my phone allowed and disabled the rest. They turn themselves back on after about a week it's rather annoying to keep going through, but I'm paranoid so why not. And yes I know it's still listening, tracking and storing every key stroke. Doesn't matter what you disable.

Why not just get a phone that isn’t a “smart phone”?

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah I have a jitterbug phone on order.

Phone was still 150.00 and the plan was the same. Pay by data now, not a minute plan anymore. Plus they don't make the flip phones like they used too. No Nextel i860, now just crap. My last flip phone died 4 or 5 years ago. The Samsung I got to replace it hasn't broken yet, so no need to look at phones until.

MOW badge received.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CharlieHeis said:
    Yeah I have a jitterbug phone on order.

My mom has used one of those for damn near a decade. Sometimes it drives me crazy that I cant just text here, but it is a really solid flip phone. I believe the new ones are supposed to be waterproof, which makes them great for hiking/camping/backpacking as well.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...

The Nextel i880 was ok but he screen would become inverted over time, the i860 was a tank, I miss when things were made to not break.

MOW badge received.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

I miss the phones that would hold a charge for a whole week.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an old android (HTC 1st gen) that I charged up and stuck in a drawer for 911 calls only. We are going on 8 months and it still has 92% charge. I miss when there wasn't a ton of background crap running....

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, Google gave their employees Friday off in addition to Monday and Facebook and some other Silicon Valley companies followed suit. I had to work, it's a nice sentiment.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello.

Are you the one who doesn't trust me?

The inquiry has begun.

See you around.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate those things. oops, wrong thread.

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:

Hello.

Are you the one who doesn't trust me?

The inquiry has begun.

See you around.

Make some frequency jammers.
    If they get too close, they'll drop out of the sky.
    Neighbors might get a little pissed though.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.