Home Cigar 101

so I bought a box of Hemmingway Short Story....

Trx680Trx680 Posts: 40 ✭✭✭

These are individually wrapped in cellophane
Is it best to leave them wrapped or remove the cellophane in the humidor?

Comments

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

I leave them on

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

Cello protects the wrapper from handling and whenever I find mold it seems to strike the cigars without cello.

Also, take the cap off tubos or take them out to prevent mold.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't take that cello off until your smoke session. I buy cellophane wrappers and put it on all my naked cigars for all the reasons listed above.

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cello on, cello off

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some people find the same old cello question annoying. Not me. Some people find multiple beginner question threads started by one guy annoying. Not me. Some people, who notice that all these questions started up on April Fools Day, should find that amusing. Yes me! Me! I do!

• BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just FYI if there is cello but the cigars also have cedar wrap, the mold can develop underneath the cedar on the cigar and you'd be no wiser until you tried to unwrap it. Ordinary cello on a cigar, no problems. I might get around to removing the cedar wrap on all my cigars, or move them to a drier humidor.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

@BKDog said:
    Just FYI if there is cello but the cigars also have cedar wrap, the mold can develop underneath the cedar on the cigar and you'd be no wiser until you tried to unwrap it. Ordinary cello on a cigar, no problems. I might get around to removing the cedar wrap on all my cigars, or move them to a drier humidor.

I’ve been smoking and storing cigars for almost 20 years now. I’ve had so many different types of humidors. I’ve had as many as 3500 cigars at a given time. I live in Virginia where it is humid as hell. I spent 2 years splitting my time between Virginia and New Orleans, the most humid place on the face of earth. I’m happy to share my long term experience anytime.
    1)Mold is the most overstated concern in cigars. Plume, or bloom, is far more likely than mold. I mean store your humi in an air conditioned room.
    2)Stop stressing it cigars are far more resilient than people want to think. No you don’t want them to completely dry out but even a week in a humidor that the humidification has dried out and your cigars are likely fine.
    3)Cellophane is made from wood, cotton or hemp typically. It is highly water permeable. Cigar manufacturers use it for a reason, my opinion and the opinion of manufacturers that use it is to Leave it on. However, ultimately they’re your cigars and you can do as you please with them. If you’re asking for an answer though, it should always be leave them on. telling you to take them off is incorrect and there is no practical reason for it.
    4)The cedar wrap around a cigar is made of Spanish Cedar. Spanish Cedar is used, once again, for a reason. Not just because it smells good. It is highly resistant to mold. Again if you want to take it off, it’s your cigar do as you please but there is no practical reason to do so.

Hopefully, kuzi pops in on this as well bc he’s been to a couple factories in Honduras and Nicaragua if I remember correctly. I haven’t made it yet but I’ve been blessed to meet many of the top producers and have had one on one time with Nick Perdomo, Sam Leccia, Rocky, Henke Kelner and other lesser known. Start asking any of them about storing or aging cigars and they’ll give you a sideways look. These guys don’t even have hygrometers in their humidors, they may at the factory or warehouse for precaution, but they just squeeze the stick and if it feels right humidity is good.

@madurofan I definitely appreciate your input, but I have had too many cases of mold developing on cigars with cedar wrap to believe anything to the contrary. I did keep some of my cedar wrapped cigars inside the Whynter humidor, but have since moved them all out to the large wooden 3 sq. ft. humidor I made, and haven't had a single issue in three years now. And I don't stress or fiddle and him and haw over tiny details, so we're all good there. I have maybe 12 thousand dollars in cigars spread out all over the place and I really am laid back about it. But I agree with pretty much all the basics you covered, man.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."

Man, I’ve been there. When I had 3500 Cigars I had two wineadors, a cooler, a bunch of tuppadors, a couple humidors and a locker @ my local smoke shop. I had spreadsheets of inventory, I numbered my cigars to know which had been aged how long and where. I had spreadsheets for humidity tracking. I stressed all the time, I had around $40k in cigars and equipment.
    I have one 200ct humidor now and I rarely think about it.

As for the cedar wrap, everyone’s environment is different personal experience is truly all that matters. There isn’t any logical reason you should be getting mold under Spanish Cedar though. I’d make a note of what brands you saw that with and see if there is a correlation. Maybe someone isn’t using Spanish Cedar.

When I decided I wasn’t going to do that anymore. I seriously didn’t buy more than a couple cigars at a time for 4 years. I smoked my collection and thoroughly enjoyed them.

All I have left as far as aging or aged. Is a Rocky Pate Summer Collection from 2008 I believe. I have one of each of the CCom Forum Blends. I have one Kuzi Blend. I also have At least one each of almost every year of Avo LE.

@madurofan said:
    Man, I’ve been there. When I had 3500 Cigars I had two wineadors, a cooler, a bunch of tuppadors, a couple humidors and a locker @ my local smoke shop. I had spreadsheets of inventory, I numbered my cigars to know which had been aged how long and where. I had spreadsheets for humidity tracking. I stressed all the time, I had around $40k in cigars and equipment.
    I have one 200ct humidor now and I rarely think about it.

As for the cedar wrap, everyone’s environment is different personal experience is truly all that matters. There isn’t any logical reason you should be getting mold under Spanish Cedar though. I’d make a note of what brands you saw that with and see if there is a correlation. Maybe someone isn’t using Spanish Cedar.

Again, you're spot on. The brand I shall not name, I know you're not asking but I wanted to mention it. It's a big name though and not cheap. Yeah, I've only had an issue with this one brand and their cedar wrap. But then again I don't have enough of a test going on to be absolutely certain of anything. I do know that drier is better if there's any doubt, so I go steady 65 everywhere and never stress over minor fluctuations. One thing I learned from this forum is that the Coleman coolers are awesome.

Yea, small sample sizes are always the trouble for us.

If it starts with an A and ends with a Fuente it won’t be the first time they’ve been accused of using inferior materials. I love a number of their blends but they use the ugliest wrapper leaves and I’ve heard everything from they use plastic not cello and dyes and all kinds of stuff.

@BKDog said:

One thing I learned from this forum is that the Coleman coolers are awesome.

The cooler was always the easiest to maintain.

I had two Vinotemps with a cigar oasis and beads in each and they were a PITA.

• VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    I turn the cello inside out to prevent the mold

Like my underwear......

Vision. How you doing man?

@Trx680 said:

Almost 8-10 years on 99% of my cigars..... never a one has had a spot of mold on my cello’d which I check every 3-4 months. I have had a spot or two on some naked cigars that went right to a box for smoking ASAP. So for me I won’t chance it if I don’t have to. Now don’t get me wrong I have no problem picking up Liga without cello but they do get smoked a lot sooner.

@Vision said:

@Trx680 said:

Almost 8-10 years on 99% of my cigars..... never a one has had a spot of mold on my cello’d which I check every 3-4 months. I have had a spot or two on some naked cigars that went right to a box for smoking ASAP. So for me I won’t chance it if I don’t have to. Now don’t get me wrong I have no problem picking up Liga without cello but they do get smoked a lot sooner.

Some of us used to save Cello and put it in naked cigars lol

@madurofan said:

@Vision said:

@Trx680 said:

I did as well for a while. Then I took a short break from the hobby.... say .....7 years.
    It was this forum who turned me onto that.

@Vision said:

@madurofan said:

@Vision said:

@Trx680 said:

I did as well for a while. Then I took a short break from the hobby.... say .....7 years.
    It was this forum who turned me onto that.

I hear ya man. I haven’t really bought cigars in years. I was still smoking what I had.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

Newbie ^

Don't look ↑
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like naked cigars. I save cellos to put the naked ones in. The only naked cigars I have are Bulls, which are to fat for any of the cellos I've saved.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.