Home Cigar 101

The importance of lighting

Spyk_Saturn12Spyk_Saturn12 Posts: 72 ✭✭✭

So I've tried a new technique with lighting and I'm finding my cigars are tasting better. After my last post I found I'm still pretty green with assumptions so I thought it better to ask. I'm spending much less time on toasting the foot and it seems I'm getting much more flavor out of my cigar from it. Does this seem logical since I haven't changed much on diet/drinks?

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do what works for you. I'm glad you found a better tasting technique. You asked if what you're doing seemed logical (that the result should taste better). It doesn't seem logical to me because I like to gently toast for a long time. That seems to work for me way better than a quickie pyro-puff-fireball technique. It's possible toasting wasn't working well for you because you may have been toasting too much, and maybe scorching the foot and creating harsh flavors for yourself. I'm just guessing because of my assumption is that toasting is always better than not toasting,........ unless one toasts too "vigorously" and it's easy to over-do it with a torch.

• Spyk_Saturn12Spyk_Saturn12 Posts: 72 ✭✭✭

I've probably been over toasting then and that's why this method works better I suppose. Keep trying 😅

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭

If you toast to much, you scorch.

Light slowly and lightly.
    ...but constantly

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

I think kuz and I will agree on this as well. Put away the damn triple torch until you’ve mastered lighting a cigar without scorching it. If there is no wind or you’re luck enough to be inside use a soft flame. If not use a single flame torch. Once you can consistently light it without scorching you can move up to more flames but it isn’t a must.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭

@madurofan said:
    I think kuz and I will agree on this as well. Put away the damn triple torch until you’ve mastered lighting a cigar without scorching it. If there is no wind or you’re luck enough to be inside use a soft flame. If not use a single flame torch. Once you can consistently light it without scorching you can move up to more flames but it isn’t a must.

Nothing left to add

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

'xcept this

Don't look ↑
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

You know what they say about ladies with small hands, right?

Don't look ↑
    edited June 2020

@VegasFrank said:
    'xcept this

Also...

Don’t everybody love the smell of gasoline? Well Burn mother ****, burn American Dream.

• BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

https://youtu.be/-CPu83KAGGc?t=37
    And then there's this. (Pay attention from 0:38 onward a bit)

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."

He just absolutely burned the hell out of that pre-embargo cuban WTF. Saw how carefully MJ lit his?

• GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

He totally disrespected that cigar not once...but twice. 😢😕

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

I figure, if it's your cigar you can use a damn Bunsen burner for all I care. If it makes you giggle and fart, all the better. :D
    Enjoy your cigar, enjoy life.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    Hey if it's good enough for cigar aficionado with a pre embargo Cuban, it's good enough for me. Although, maybe it was the v cut that really brought the flavors out on this one. I'll keep experimenting.

Dang, did your dog mangle that thing or was it run through the washing machine??

That’s pitiful. It even hurts to look at it.... 🙄😜

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

As articulate as I am, the one thing I can say is, "Damn!" It is hard to see.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had some cheap Fauxhibas that weren't worth smoking so I'd just chew on them, but in general I agree, it's important to light a cigar to enjoy them.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    I had some cheap Fauxhibas that weren't worth smoking so I'd just chew on them, but in general I agree, it's important to light a cigar to enjoy them.

Hey, I remember when I was flying to Miami once there was a guy just chomping on a figurado in the airport while waiting to board. Stuffed in his cheek like chewing tobacco. He sure was enjoying the hell out of that cigar. Ill never forget that. Gross. Lol!

LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I used to go to the car auctions with my brother, there was a dealer who showed up regularly who would remove the cello from some kind of Churchill and stuff the head end into his cheek between his teeth and his cheek as far as it would go and just leave it there. He never lit any of them but by the end of the day there would be only about an inch or so protruding.

Talk about gross... yecchh... 🙄

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Must have been some damn good cigars.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• PuertoRicoShawnPuertoRicoShawn Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭

@Spyk_Saturn12 said:
    So I've tried a new technique with lighting and I'm finding my cigars are tasting better. After my last post I found I'm still pretty green with assumptions so I thought it better to ask. I'm spending much less time on toasting the foot and it seems I'm getting much more flavor out of my cigar from it. Does this seem logical since I haven't changed much on diet/drinks?

Dense Moment. I read the title and this post and absolutely thought you were discussing illumination! I could not for the life of me could not figure out how this would affect flavor. I was about to Google different types of lights for cigar storage. More coffee please......

When you’re finished changing, you’re finished. —Ben Franklin