Home Non Cigar Related

Complexities of Yeast

So I'm a big beer geek. I love to read about it, learn about it, talk about it, and of course, drink it. In fact, people usually laugh at me when I tell them that one of my favorite hobbies is beer! While I don't homebrew yet, the keyword there is 'yet'.

I just want to share a little something for all you guys out there who love beer as much as I do. It's just a small look into one of the reasons why I love beer so much. I think this a well done video that showcases one of my favorite styles...the Sour Ale.

Comments

• TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    You really, really need to get into homebrewing. It's a blast. And relatively easy to make great beer.
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    You really, really need to get into homebrewing. It's a blast. And relatively easy to make great beer.
    I totally agree. The biggest thing to get great beer for me is proper cleaning, and glass carboys. I get most of my stuff from Austin Home Brew. The are a great group of guys, and very helpful. My favorite beer is a toss up between a brown ale, and a double IPA with about a 12.5 abv!! Who am I kidding, my favorite is the double IPA
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    A new home brew store just opened up near me and I've always wanted to try it. I know nothing about home brewing, but I've already heard that the staff at this place has a real bad attitude towards first-timers. Now I'm too intimidated to go check it out. Is it a lot of work to start up?
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    I'll be honest and say that I'm a bit intimidated and it goes along with what bob said. I have heard many stories about guys losing entire batches because one utensil became infected somehow with bad bacteria. I'm sure that's more of an exception than the rule (if you're religious enough about cleaning), but even then...I'm concerned I'll never find a recipe that I truly enjoy. My expectations are a bit high and I don't think I'll ever match them.
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    Man if I had some brewed up I would send you some. You can really brew some quality beer. I know you are thinking (but the guy makes it in his garage), but you can make some really good beer, that has no preservatives or anything. I think the most important thing is disinfecting everything. I go with the kits that they have online at austin home brew. They are really easy to do, boil the water, add malt and hoppes, go to the right temp, add yeast after you cool it, and let it ferment. I have made some really good beers.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I went to Deschutes Brewery this weekend and had some phenomenal beers. Do you like New Belgium stuff, if so, try their new IPA called Ranger. Its got a nice hop and very floral. I live in the microbrew capitol of the world and one of the biggest hop growing areas as well. You ever hear of Willamette Hops and Cascade Hops, well thats where I live. anyway, brew your own and don't use the chemical cleaner they recommend, use diluted bleach. I used that trisodium phosphate crap and it didn't work, spoiled a whole batch of beer.
    dennisking:
    I went to Deschutes Brewery this weekend...
    I hate you ;-)

Deschuttes makes one of the best beers I've ever had...The Abyss. Man, that beer is just insanely good.
    letsgowithbob:
    Man if I had some brewed up I would send you some. You can really brew some quality beer. I know you are thinking (but the guy makes it in his garage), but you can make some really good beer, that has no preservatives or anything. I think the most important thing is disinfecting everything. I go with the kits that they have online at austin home brew. They are really easy to do, boil the water, add malt and hoppes, go to the right temp, add yeast after you cool it, and let it ferment. I have made some really good beers.
    I've had homebrew before which I think were all made in a garage. Those were some good beers! One was an ESB and it was very good and the other was a watermelon lambic which blew me away.

It's really only a matter of time before I jump in and start homebrewing. I have more reading/research I want to do first. Plus, we'll be moving across the country as soon as our house sells, so it will definitely have to wait till after the move.
    BStayer:
    I'll be honest and say that I'm a bit intimidated and it goes along with what bob said. I have heard many stories about guys losing entire batches because one utensil became infected somehow with bad bacteria. I'm sure that's more of an exception than the rule (if you're religious enough about cleaning), but even then...I'm concerned I'll never find a recipe that I truly enjoy. My expectations are a bit high and I don't think I'll ever match them.
    Homebrewing is EASY. My friend and I bought this book: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Homebrewing-Third-Harperresource-Book/dp/0060531053/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267552147&sr=8-17

Then we picked up our equipment needed for our first batch, bought a "kit" of ingredients and got started. We've done 6 or 7 batches so far and every one has been fantastic. I am a huge beer snob and have very specific tastes as well - homebrewing is really fun and you can take a certain amount of pride in it. Of course the best part is having some friends over and not telling them it's yours and hearing them say "Man, great beer. What is this?"
    Oh, and ratebeer.com has a friendly homebrewing section.
    BStayer:
    dennisking:
    I went to Deschutes Brewery this weekend...
    I hate you ;-)

Deschuttes makes one of the best beers I've ever had...The Abyss. Man, that beer is just insanely good.
    my friend has a ton of Abyss at his house. he bought it release day last year at the Deschutes Pub in Portland. 10bux a bottle. He said I could have a couple. Next time I go to his house, I will snag a couple to see what all the fuss is about. I tried their new Hophenge IPA, it's phenomenal. I also had their Jubelale with Nitro on tap. smooth like Guiness because of the nitro but with that great Jubelale taste.
  • I'm working on talking my fiancee into starting homebrewing. Any suggestions? She's hung up on the fact that fermentation smells. I told her that we can drink a lot of beer for cheap and it gives us something to do together.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    These Filthy Hands:
    I'm working on talking my fiancee into starting homebrewing. Any suggestions? She's hung up on the fact that fermentation smells. I told her that we can drink a lot of beer for cheap and it gives us something to do together.
    It only smells for one day.
    and besides...
    that smell is GOOD

• jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294
    dennisking:
    I went to Deschutes Brewery this weekend and had some phenomenal beers. Do you like New Belgium stuff, if so, try their new IPA called Ranger. Its got a nice hop and very floral. I live in the microbrew capitol of the world and one of the biggest hop growing areas as well. You ever hear of Willamette Hops and Cascade Hops, well thats where I live. anyway, brew your own and don't use the chemical cleaner they recommend, use diluted bleach. I used that trisodium phosphate crap and it didn't work, spoiled a whole batch of beer.
    One of my favorite views of the Willamette Valley is a short stretch of road between Silverton and Mt. Angel. There are acres of hops all hanging from the V shaped trusses with Mt. Hood in background. God's country.
    yeah, we have a ton of hops here for sure. it's pretty awesome. we def. do live in a beautiful state.
    kuzi16:
    These Filthy Hands:
    I'm working on talking my fiancee into starting homebrewing. Any suggestions? She's hung up on the fact that fermentation smells. I told her that we can drink a lot of beer for cheap and it gives us something to do together.
    It only smells for one day.
    and besides...
    that smell is GOOD

Fermenting doesn't smell - the beer ferments in a dark room somewhere in a bucket or glass carboy. No smell at all. It's the brewing part that smells - but is smells like delicious unfermented grains, hops, and malts! Yum!