Home Ratings & Reviews

Evaluating Aged Cigars

VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Ratings & Reviews

As most of you know most of my cigars are from 2013 or earlier. Over the past few months I have been smoking more and more of them, some with great success and some absolute duds. Here I will post a brief summary of the cigar I smoked. It will only entail if it held up over time or has gone flat on a 1-5 scale. 5 will equal still holding its flavor and 1 absolutely flat. I will add if the cigar has kept/lost is profile (IE Nicaraguan spice/pepper bomb, “Connecticut twang”, Cameroon sweetness) on the same 1-5 scale and add a little about the cigars blend to give an idea of what blends tend to hold up or not. This is not a review of the cigar. I’m simply trying to help give people an idea of what tends to hold up or flatten out after 7+ years. I’m no expert by any means but I hope I can help inform on what cigars/blends keep their flavor and profile. Any questions I can answer I would love to try.

All cigars kept at 65rh using Boveda with temperature ranging from 64-70F in VinoTemp Wineador. Air circulated often and shelves rotated a few times a year.

Post edited by Vision on

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

Curmudgeon mode on; if it's discontinued, who cares?

Can you actually eliminate the variable of your palate changing from seven or eight years ago?

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it’s cool to see which tobaccos seem to last ... I am sure we will see a pattern , even if it’s only because they come from the same humidor ( insert any emijo here).

• VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:
    Curmudgeon mode on; if it's discontinued, who cares?

Can you actually eliminate the variable of your palate changing from seven or eight years ago?

Ahhh a 2X Curmudgeon question.... (I was waiting for this post) and I welcome it. First part. If for what ever reason someone still owns some or wants to seek them out. If a blend has changed or factories have changed I would also notate something like that as well. I guess it was just a fact of the cigar. I’m just looking to add some body to the post.

Part 2. I can still taste flavors in general which hasn’t changed much in 7 years and that’s why I’m not going into specific flavors just that it has flavor in general. I smoked a Padron 3000 that had the flavor of hot air and lost hope..... literally dead flat. (Obviously a little tobacco flavor was left.... little).

What would you like to see added or removed? What do you think I could do better? I think we are all trying to learn something new right?

edited October 2020

@EgoBoundary said:
    I think it’s cool to see which tobaccos seem to last ... I am sure we will see a pattern , even if it’s only because they come from the same humidor 🧐🤨😥🤮💩👎

And I guess that’s what’s fun about this. Who the heck knows what we find out.

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, keep it up.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

I think you're correct. I shouldn't make the mistake of equivocating my palate with yours; if I came across some sticks from 6 years ago in my humidor, I don't think I could say I was evaluating apples to apples.

The best part about this IMHO is it'll remind you (as it should remind all of us) to actually pay attention to the cigar, and not simply smoke it; too often I'm at the end of the cigar and don't remember much, if anything, about it.

@peter4jc said:
    The best part about this IMHO is it'll remind you (as it should remind all of us) to actually pay attention to the cigar, and not simply smoke it; too often I'm at the end of the cigar and don't remember much, if anything, about it.

Like a good movie a cigar needs to keep me interested. If it’s good I’ll think about it. If it’s not.... then it’s just the experience of smoking a cigar

edited October 2020

PS. Your shots..... so good. We can all learn a thing or two😜

So good I was just sitting waiting to get my hair cut and going thru the forum. I was looking at the “What are you smoking....” threads and it hits me. That had to be a shot at the times I smoke blah cigars mowing or landscaping or all the other crap I do while smoking. Man.... I have a lot to learn.

Post edited by Vision on

Did you smoke that egg? Maybe some comments of that mama-jama ...

@EgoBoundary said:
    Did you smoke that egg? Maybe some comments of that mama-jama ...

Oh absolutely

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, very interested to hear you thoughts on the egg.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

edited October 2020

Drew Estates Egg Natural Maduro

• Country of Origin: Nicaragua
    • Factory: La Gran Fabrica Drew Estate
    • Wrapper: Nicaraguan Maduro
    • Binder: Nicaraguan
    • Filler: Brazil, Cameroon, Dominican Republic, Haiti, Honduras, Indonesia, Italy, Mexico, Nicaragua, Syria, Turkey, and several locales in the United States.
    • Vitola: Egg 42x70-90x42
      •Rest: 8 Years
      •Sizes may vary on RG
      •Flavor: 2
      •Spice: 1
      •Flavors didn’t pick up until about 2 inches remaining. Practically smoked itself at times with cigar finished up around 2 hours. Tho most won’t, do not keep this cigar for a long period of time. Never once burned hot with very few touch ups.
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one my wife gave me 4-5 years ago. I keep saying I'm going to smoke it but haven't yet.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

edited October 2020

@ShawnOL said:
    I have one my wife gave me 4-5 years ago. I keep saying I'm going to smoke it but haven't yet.

I might sooner rather than later. It was an experience. It was, obviously, a truly unique cigar.

God of Fire Serie B 2012 and 2013 Heisenberg by Quesada Corona coming soon. Finished both today with surprising results.

edited October 2020

God of Fire Serie B 2012

• Country of Origin: Dominican Republic
    • Factory: Tabacalera A. Fuente y Cia
    • Wrapper: Connecticut Broadleaf
    • Binder: Dominican Republic
    • Filler: Dominican Republic
    • Vitola: Robusto
      •Flavor: 3
      •Spice: 2
      •Good flavor but no real punch. Flavors ramped up second half. Little Spice through the nose. 8 years may be better suited to a much more developed palate.

@Vision said:

God of Fire Serie B 2012

•Good flavor but no real punch. Flavors ramped up second half. Little Spice through the nose. 8 years may be better suited to a much more developed palate.

That cello certainly shows the time, pity that this Dominican doesn’t hold up like others. I wonder if broadleaf is the issue?

@EgoBoundary said:

@Vision said:

God of Fire Serie B 2012

That cello certainly shows the time, pity that this Dominican doesn’t hold up like others. I wonder if broadleaf is the issue?

I hope to get the Carlito in this year as well.

• TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doing great work Pete!

I have invited @CAcigarguy007 to join me in evaluation of aged cigars to get a second palate involved. Anyone is truly invited so please join in if you would like.

@Vision said:
    Next 3 before the weather turns cold.
    2012 LFD Mysterio
    2012 AF Don Carlos
    2012 Viaje Roman Candle

If anyone has any interest in trying anything from 2010-2013 PM me. We can figure something out.

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

Would there be any chance you could smoke a recent purchase of same cigars? I know the Don Carlos is available. Maybe smoke new vs old on consecutive days and see what differences you get.

And speaking of cold weather, You might want to try something like this inside your garage. Add a space heater, and you won't freeze. Open a few of the tent windows, and you won't choke on the smoke. I speak from experience.

Here's a hunting blind with more windows (smoke ventilation) than the ice fishing tent.

Post edited by Bob_Luken on

@Bob_Luken said:
    Would there be any chance you could smoke a recent purchase of same cigars? I know the Don Carlos is available. Maybe smoke new vs old on consecutive days and see what differences you get.

Absolutely. Tough part so far it’s other then the AF DC they are usually limited releases or one time only. I know the Roman Candle was rereleased at least twice but still can’t find. I’ll make sure the next few are still available.