Home General Discussion

NBK

silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thought I would share this final note from Black Label regarding NBKs not staying lit. I was offered a replacement box but didn't feel right saying yes since I've smoked most of the ones I bought. Going to dry box a couple and see if that makes a difference.

"Hi Edward,

Really appreciate your feedback we pride ourselves on quality and have gone to extremes to get that. We live full time in Nicaragua to oversee our factory that began in 2015 so it really is our life and our passion to make a product we are proud of.

We age our cigars for a minimum of 90 days before we ship them to the US. This particular box of cigars was shipped from our factory in June 2018. Unfortunately they seem to be overhumidified somewhere along the way. With such a long period it's difficult to pinpoint where this happened. Regarding over-humidified issues James Brown mentioned this, “Normally burn issues like this are related to humidity. Either with storage or ambient humidity of the environment in which you’re smoking. 69-71% humidity is good for long term storage of cigars but not necessarily for smoking. Our cigars in particular use very heavy filler tobaccos and thicker Viso & Ligero cut wrappers. These type of components do much better at lower humidity levels. A cigar like the NBK is not the type of cigar that will sit and smolder for several minutes due to the tobaccos used. As you smoke a cigar you are bringing in hot humid air and re humidifying the filler and wrapper, so starting with a “dryer” cigar definitely makes a difference. Dry boxing cigars before smoking can help bring the humidity down.”

Hope that helps to explain, but I realize that doesn’t erase your frustration. I hope you will continue to support our brand and trust that we are doing everything possible to ensure you have a positive smoking experience."

Comments

• TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing. I feel fortunate that I'm having my first one right now, about 2/3 down and have had zero burn issues, and it's fantastic. Am smoking faster than usual because of the fear this forum instilled in me.

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am hoping it is a humidity combined with the corona vitola that is the problem for me. Are you smoking a larger ring gauge?

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in the same boat you are Edward. I've smoked about a half a box and just about all of them have tunneled.

Don't look ↑
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven’t had one tunnel on me yet but the one I smoked yesterday went out on me twice when I laid it down over a few minutes

• TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

No Edward, was the corona size I did just grab it from a B&M earlier this week, not sure if that has something to do with it