Home Non Cigar Related
Options

What in the name of....

VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of new and interesting peeps on the forum this month...let's review:

@Peaches introduced "herself" with a picture of a gravity challenged gold digger in the coronavirus thread.

@JackHunt (pronounced Ja-KUNT) schooling us about the movie trivia thread in his second post

@Meinhard1 (me-in-hard-one) asking silly questions about dear old dad...

@Chrisucn_86 (Chris suckin') and his stinky smokes...

@LoraGoergy (ends in an orgy?) has a first comment badge but no findable comment. Even the automated gatekeeper doesn't buy that post as legit!

@danielzreyes not active since September 26th.... 🤔

Don't look ↑
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is it's right after Christmas and everyone who got a fiver and a wooden box to put them in is out seeking answers to life's problems......

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

Speaking of conspiracies,... instead of automatically projecting all the mistrust we have for fakers onto EVERY newbie with a dumb question,....... why don't we conspire to figure out a less offensive way to welcome good legitimate newbies while at the same time weeding out the losers and fakers. Maybe something similar to the "good traders list"?

Also, is it possible for the IT department at Ccom to fix it so that no single device (IP address) is allowed more than one account at Ccom. And no grandfather clause either, if you already have twenty separate accounts, you get to keep only your oldest one. The rest are deleted. @TheCigarChick Is that something that you could look into?

Post edited by Bob_Luken on
  • Options
    TheCigarChickTheCigarChick Moderator Posts: 296 admin

@Bob_Luken - I hear you, but our internal IT Dept doesn't have any to with those settings, unfortunately. The Forum is dependent upon the settings offered by VanillaX, which is the company who owns the template (if you will), as well as the server on which the Forum functions.

• Options
    cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love this place just the way it is!

• Options

I'm reminded of my first ever forum encounter asking a newbie question. It was over at "Puff" forum. I was not a fan of their dismissive attitude or jokes about my brand of cigar. By contrast the guys at Ccom were welcoming, so I stayed here. The current conditions here now seem worse by comparison. I can understand how a newb could come here and be put off by the reception here. I know we have a troll problem but I think a lot of true newbies are getting crapped on as a result. Not every dumb question deserves the reactions we are giving them.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

I propose we give them at least five honest, sincere answers before we crap on them.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

I only brought forth those names that were obvious trolls. I also was a newbie here once, and I also got crapped on or chided by the some people who are posting in this thread :D.

However, if you craft a username with a sexual innuendo, post a dirty butt digging picture in your first post, try to sell us something, or reference one of the long-standing games in your second post, you are obviously a troll. If not, you deserve to be hazed a little!

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    edited December 2020

@VegasFrank said:
    I only brought forth those names that were obvious trolls. I also was a newbie here once, and I also got crapped on or chided by the some people who are posting in this thread :D.

However, if you craft a username with a sexual innuendo, post a dirty butt digging picture in your first post, try to sell us something, or reference one of the long-standing games in your second post, you are obviously a troll. If not, you deserve to be hazed a little!

I am not innocent. I've done everything I'm talking about. And I'm not reformed either, but I mean what I say. And at the same time, I agree with you Frank, trolls need to be dealt with. I just don't like the collateral damage.

• Options

said:
    @Bob_Luken - I hear you, but our internal IT Dept doesn't have any to with those settings, unfortunately. The Forum is dependent upon the settings offered by VanillaX, which is the company who owns the template (if you will), as well as the server on which the Forum functions.

@TheCigarChick Thanks, Lindsay for the quick reply and explanation. But now I have a long-shot follow up question,....

Even though you don't control it,... Can you spill the beans? Without giving away any personal info,.... Can you list the accounts that form groups of accounts that all log in from the same identical IP addresses?

• Options
    TheCigarChickTheCigarChick Moderator Posts: 296 admin

@Bob_Luken - That I don't know, as I'm unsure of how VanillaX operates from the IP side. Obviously we know every type of website (or forum) has bots that roam from time-to-time, so part of me wonders if there's a setting for the bot control software. (Let's hope that VanillaX has bot control software capabilities in the first place.)

I can tell you from an e-comm perspective that during these COVID times, bots are WILD, and they're everywhere, forcing the companies who make the software to eliminate them to work overtime. I'll reach out to VanillaX and see if there's something that could point us in the right direction.

Stay tuned... B)

• Options

Whoever denied it supplied it ^

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

@VegasFrank everyone pees in the shower. The trustworthy ones admit it.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob_Luken said:

said:

Even though you don't control it,... Can you spill the beans? Without giving away any personal info,.... Can you list the accounts that form groups of accounts that all log in from the same identical IP addresses?

Terrible idea. This would "out" some of the alliance creators that we have fun "trying" to figure out.

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    edited December 2020

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

@Bob_Luken said:
    I'm reminded of my first ever forum encounter asking a newbie question. It was over at "Puff" forum. I was not a fan of their dismissive attitude or jokes about my brand of cigar. By contrast the guys at Ccom were welcoming, so I stayed here. The current conditions here now seem worse by comparison. I can understand how a newb could come here and be put off by the reception here. I know we have a troll problem but I think a lot of true newbies are getting crapped on as a result. Not every dumb question deserves the reactions we are giving them.

Similar experience for me, here. One of my first few posts I offered the opinion that I didn't particularly care for a new Rocky Patel blend. (I think it was an RP) I don't recall the name of the cigar, but I do remember that it was discontinued fairly quickly. This was way back when there were only about 5 or 6 RP blends.

I believe I mentioned in the post that I'd liked the RP's I'd had so far, the Vintage 1990 and 1992, and was particularly fond of the Sun Grown. I was immediately attacked by several seasoned members as a troll who'd come here to bask in the attention derived from putting down a cigar blend. The "proof", as it were, was my low post-count. Which was perhaps, two.

I had no idea what they were talking about, I'd never been on any "forum", in fact, I'd only ever been on the internet at work, doing work-related things. I had no idea about post counts, what a "troll" was in this sense. Trolls lived under bridges in Nordic Fairy Tales.

At any rate, I asked about those things, and what they had to do with my opinion of cigars? Also, pointed out that I had a feeling I had been smoking cigars when many of those putting me down were in diapers, and stuck to my opinion of that cigar. Like @Patrickbrick , I rarely shrink from confrontation. Now that I think of it, I believe it was called Puro Cubano. I may be wrong. Now I'll have to go and look to see if RP still makes those.

So, I try hard to be patient with the newb questions. But, deep down, I'm still a grouchy old curmudgeon. Hopefully Lindsay will come up with a viable solution.

Personally, I'd like to know what's up with that Silverdak guy. Years of constant attendance here, not one post. Creepy weird.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read the forum for years before I actually joined. Seemed to be a few that loved to stir **** up back then. Felt like I knew most of you when I finally did sign up.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

RP now offers a Puro Cubano by Hamlet. It doesn't look like the same cigar. They're also up to more than 50 different cigars. Seems like sensory overload, to me. Their business, though. Whatever trips your triggers.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

Well, it seems to work for their bottom line...

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob_Luken said:
    Speaking of conspiracies,... instead of automatically projecting all the mistrust we have for fakers onto EVERY newbie with a dumb question,....... why don't we conspire to figure out a less offensive way to welcome good legitimate newbies while at the same time weeding out the losers and fakers. Maybe something similar to the "good traders list"?

Also, is it possible for the IT department at Ccom to fix it so that no single device (IP address) is allowed more than one account at Ccom. And no grandfather clause either, if you already have twenty separate accounts, you get to keep only your oldest one. The rest are deleted. @TheCigarChick Is that something that you could look into?

Well, lessee... I may post from 6 devices myself, any given day, right here at home.
    While traveling, I have posted from whoknowshowmany IPs.

It's one of those ideas that sounds real good if you say it fast and preface it with "why not...".

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options

We will take that as a confession!

Don't look ↑
  • Options

🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀 🐀🐀🐀

Don't look ↑