Home Non Cigar Related

Reptiles

jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 2020 we started breeding leopard geckos and ball pythons. My wife has a background in veterinarian care and she has always liked reptiles. Two of our kids are really into them as well.

We currently have 53 leopard geckos, 2 crested geckos, 1 corn snake, and 17 ball pythons. We have gecko eggs in the incubator now and hopefully some ball python eggs soon. We have a wide variety of morphs and genetics.

Anyone else here into reptiles?

Comments

• genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

NO

• d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had a lizard that sat on the living room curtain rod and watched TV, when I lived in Florida. Does that count?.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

had a baby garter snake that I kept in my shirt pocket for a few days until it got away, somewhere....

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Years ago I kept a Colombian red tail boa for a friend for about a year. The enclosure was large enough for me to step inside to clean. His roommate had just gotten some kittens and he felt that keeping a 7 - 8 foot snake in the same place as kittens wasn't viable.

Currently my youngest daughter has a rosy boa and a bearded dragon that she got from her cousin that wasn't socialized properly.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Cam_91Cam_91 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

Woah, awesome. How long do those leopard geckos typically live?

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@Yakster said:
    Years ago I kept a Colombian red tail boa for a friend for about a year. The enclosure was large enough for me to step inside to clean. His roommate had just gotten some kittens and he felt that keeping a 7 - 8 foot snake in the same place as kittens wasn't viable.

Currently my youngest daughter has a rosy boa and a bearded dragon that she got from her cousin that wasn't socialized properly.

So, who's re-socializing the cousin?

Maybe it’s just a phase and she’ll grow out of it.

• jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cam_91 said:
    Woah, awesome. How long do those leopard geckos typically live?

Up to 30 years.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a ball python. Killed it. Had a red-tailed boa. Killed it. Had iguanas. Almost killed them. Had anoles. Don't remember how that ended. I love reptiles but have no luck with them whatsoever.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

Dang, I didn't know that reptiles were that easy to kill. My friend took back that red-tailed boa and lost it. He didn't like to keep Lucy in a cage and one day it got out never to be seen again.

• First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've caught and released 6 or 7 good sized Black Snakes over the past couple of years. My other grew up in Alabama where she swears all snakes are deadly. I got her to put down her shovel and let me take care of them. I just carry them about 50 yards into the woods, warn them about Lucy and let them go.

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

A five foot black snake nested in our woodpile some years back. Made adorable babies. Somehow, the babies came inside and molted. Found shed skins inside a pair wall sconces five feet up the wall. Can't figure out how they climbed up there.

Snakes gone now. Haven't had field mice since,

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

That 7' red tailed boa could climb to the top of my bookcases.