Home Non Cigar Related

I hate this little @$$ river

RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Great Kenawa River

Comments

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

why? too snaky, too hard to navigate, shoals?

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    why? too snaky, too hard to navigate, shoals?

It’s narrow, snaky and only 84 miles that we can run. I see the same thing every day. It’s just a long harbor.

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had a cigar customer ran a tug on the Tanana in Alaska. Four foot ice from October until May... then just four or five months to get everything done for the year... with lives on the line. Shifting gravel bars, marshes, and islands. The guy couldn't stand cello on his gars cause he didn't have the time or attention to peel a gar while driving.

Consider yourself lucky.

Haven't heard from the old guy for a while. Wonder what happened.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^ That's the river that runs thru here. It joins the Yukon in Tanana, a village about an hour from here by air. That looks like North Pole in the picture. It's too big to be any of the other villages on the Tanana and not big enough to be Fairbanks.

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...

According to the pic caption, it's sposed to be the Tanana river at Fairbanks, which the map says is 50 miles upstream of the confluence w/ the Yukon at Nenana. But I've never been there. All I know is, it looks easy to run aground. People must spend a fortune shipping necessaries in that state.

What a fun way to make a living, tho, running a river like that.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rhamlin buddy how have you been? See you are still navigating the waters.

• Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

@webmost, the caption's incorrect. The Nenana River runs into the Tanana at Nenana, The Tanana joins the Yukon in Tanana, a hundred or so miles downstream of Nenana. I enlarged the picture and, yes, that's Fairbanks. The Tanana's a hard river to run. It changes almost weekly due to massive amounts of glacial silt in the water. It's really, really cold, really shallow and if you fall in, you have about a minute and a half before your clothes fill with silt & you sink.

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

So you should take off your clothes before falling in, is what you're sayin'?

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

@jsnake said:
    @Rhamlin buddy how have you been? See you are still navigating the waters.

Yes sir. 38 years now. I keep hearing about this thing called retirement. Might have to find out what that’s all about.

• Cam_91Cam_91 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rhamlin would never...

I miss work.

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

@webmost said:
    I miss work.

OK, I miss teaching. I'll probably go back in six months, when it's allowed. The kids keep me young.

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:

@Cam_91 said:
    @Rhamlin would never...

"Hold my beer..."

I think that may have been the issue

@Vision said:

@Rhamlin said:

@Cam_91 said:
    @Rhamlin would never...

I’ve done a lot worse. Believe me😖

Do tell......

You’ll have to wait until I’m on the herf with some scotch

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rhamlin said:

@Vision said:

@Rhamlin said:

@Cam_91 said:
    @Rhamlin would never...

I’ve done a lot worse. Believe me😖

Do tell......

You’ll have to wait until I’m on the herf with some @Scotch_n_Smoke

FIFY

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.