Home Non Cigar Related

Suez Canal

Cam_91Cam_91 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

This hilarious thing deserves a thread until it’s out. Here’s some updates

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can relate.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

One guy on a back hoe... three guys yappin.
    That oughtta do it.

Where's their plastic hats?

Wife and I were en route to Idaho on our BMW R1200CLC. Left the motel in Washington PA, made a right toward the freeway, which was half a mile the other side of a low railroad underpass with steep embankments either side. Semi in front of us took a gander at the clearance sign too late; decided he could not make it. We stopped well back, thinking he would back up. No. Tried to U-turn. So. When he nosed the embankment on the left side, he threw it in reverse and spun the wheel and backed up. When he planted the trailer into the right embankment, he threw is into gear, spun the wheel, and went forward. Repeated this about half a dozen times until...

Didn't help that by the time he gave up and climbed down out of his cab we were standing beside the bike laughing our **** off... and not the only ones. I think the commuters behind us couldn't wait to get to work and explain why they were late this morning.

This was many years ago, before everyone carried themselves a pocket puter complete with video cam and such. So I have no pics of it. We had miles to make that day, so didn't stop to find out how the hell they extricated that rig.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

The physics of the stuck Suez ship
    High winds combined with ship–bank interaction effects might have sent the huge container ship Ever Given into a spin in the shallow waters of the Suez Canal, suggests hydrodynamicist Evert Lataire. The boat has been wedged fast in the essential shipping route since Tuesday. Bank effects occur in restricted navigation areas, where water displaced by a ship has nowhere to go. As a ship passes close to the side of a shallow channel, the water in the gap must speed up, causing the stern to pull into the bank and the bow to be pushed away. In the case of the Ever Given, the effect could have caused the ship to veer into the opposite bank, as shown in this VesselFinder video. https://nature.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2c6057c528fdc6f73fa196d9d&id=93a0a59b5f&e=04d2e103c8

The Financial Times | 8 min read

Lucky the next ship was able to stop.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• MrShrekMrShrek Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

This you Ricky? @Rhamlin

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    The physics of the stuck Suez ship
    High winds combined with ship–bank interaction effects might have sent the huge container ship Ever Given into a spin in the shallow waters of the Suez Canal, suggests hydrodynamicist Evert Lataire. The boat has been wedged fast in the essential shipping route since Tuesday. Bank effects occur in restricted navigation areas, where water displaced by a ship has nowhere to go. As a ship passes close to the side of a shallow channel, the water in the gap must speed up, causing the stern to pull into the bank and the bow to be pushed away. In the case of the Ever Given, the effect could have caused the ship to veer into the opposite bank, as shown in this VesselFinder video. https://nature.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2c6057c528fdc6f73fa196d9d&id=93a0a59b5f&e=04d2e103c8

The Financial Times | 8 min read

We call that bank suction. It sucks. Grabs you and won’t let go. And the harder you fight it the worse it gets.

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you need to dig something out, a spoon is the most effective tool.
    Right.
    Cause they couldn't find a smaller machine anywhere to do the work.
    Blown away by the fact that logging companies have bigger excavators than they could find in several days.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

@0patience said:
    Right.
    Blown away by the fact that logging companies have bigger excavators than they could find in several days.

I’m pretty sure my pool guy is using one larger.

I’m wondering why they haven’t gotten a big crane barge and just started off loading the containers onto another ship.
    Decrease the load and it might just float off.

@0patience said:
    Right.

I doubt there are many logging companies making a living in the Sinai. Nor in the Egyptian desert, for that matter.

edited March 2021

@Vision said:

@0patience said:
    Right.

I’m pretty sure my pool guy is using one larger.

The nearest pool may be closer to the nearest oil kajillionaire.

@Rhamlin said:
    I’m wondering why they haven’t gotten a big crane barge and just started off loading the containers onto another ship.

I just love the word just. Just is a four-letter word. I believe we just ought to have a just tax. It would just be something just like a swear jar. Anyone uses that four letter word just puts a fiver in the just jar.

Or, we could just apply a pocket calc, like so:

Ever Given's top containers appear to be ten layers off the deck. At 8 1/2' apiece, that's 85 feet. The deck appears to be more than about the same distance above the water. You have to reach to the middle stack. Beam is said to be 50 meters. So let's round up and say you need a barge mounted crane that can lift an item 250' away. Prolly have a couple such cranes busy making skyscrapers in Dubai. Let's just mount them on barges and bring them round to the canal. That traffic jam will just have to back up outta their way.

The ship holds 20,000 containers. Let's say your coupla monster cranes can unload one container every five minutes. You work night and day. Nothing breaks down. You can unload HALF the cargo in 833 hours. There's just a month.

What do you put them on? Barges? How many containers does one of your river barges hold? Eighty? A hunnerd? There's prolly a hundred such barges along the length of the Nile. That's the closest river. Just how do you get them across the desert from the river to the canal?

They're pumping out ballast now and waiting for a higher tide. Which is good news; cause the critter didn't just get beneaped. It would be better news if we could just guarantee she hasn't broken her back hanging by the ends at low tide.

I just love just.

I just think they're fusterclucked. Might be wrong.

Maybe the crew could just run back and forth across the deck to rock it loose.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

I charge you ^ the just tax, @webmost

Don't look ↑
    edited March 2021
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

@silvermouse said:
    Egypt president said to be preparing to offload some of the cargo if present efforts fail.

Post edited by Bob_Luken on
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

@webmost said:

@0patience said:
    Right.

I doubt there are many logging companies making a living in the Sinai. Nor in the Egyptian desert, for that matter.

True, but there has to be construction companies that have cat 352-395 excavators around there. Can't imaging that there isn't any mining, construction or oil company around there that doesn't have any big excavators.
    For that matter, half the road machines around here have 5 yard buckets on excavators.

And why aren't they bringing in dredges?
    We have a river dredge here, that can move 35,000 cubic yards of material per day.

https://projects.columbian.com/2018/09/09/dredged-material-from-columbia-river-is-a-prized-commodity/

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.

@0patience said:

@webmost said:

@0patience said:
    Right.

True, but there has to be construction companies that have cat 352-395 excavators around there. Can't imaging that there isn't any mining, construction or oil company around there that doesn't have any big excavators.
    For that matter, half the road machines around here have 5 yard buckets on excavators.

And why aren't they bringing in dredges?
    We have a river dredge here, that can move 35,000 cubic yards of material per day.

https://projects.columbian.com/2018/09/09/dredged-material-from-columbia-river-is-a-prized-commodity/

Supposedly, dredges are on the way.

I was on I forget what Caroline island where the governor had taken some grant money, looked in a catalog, & spotted a Kubota backhoe that looked like a dandy price. When it arrived, he was the laughing stock of the place. Bout small enough to fit in the back of your pickup. Home Despot prolly rents out bigger. My Taio (native buddy... you're best to make one) Sigrah contacted the people who had it & asked if he could rent it out on Sunday, cause his back itched.

Looks like that thing up against the size of the ship.

One thing about the news, it never ceases to entertain, duzzit?

They have dredges vacuuming around the head and stern. And they have made arrangements to offload onto another ship if all else fails. That would take a lot of time. Especially finding a crane barge big enough for the job. There probably aren’t very many of them. Logistics of this thing must have everyone pulling out their hair.

edited March 2021

@webmost said:

@Rhamlin said:

I just love the word just. Just is a four-letter word. I believe we just ought to have a just tax. It would just be something just like a swear jar. Anyone uses that four letter word just puts a fiver in the just jar.

Or, we could just apply a pocket calc, like so:

Ever Given's top containers appear to be ten layers off the deck. At 8 1/2' apiece, that's 85 feet. The deck appears to be more than about the same distance above the water. You have to reach to the middle stack. Beam is said to be 50 meters. So let's round up and say you need a barge mounted crane that can lift an item 250' away. Prolly have a couple such cranes busy making skyscrapers in Dubai. Let's just mount them on barges and bring them round to the canal. That traffic jam will just have to back up outta their way.

The ship holds 20,000 containers. Let's say your coupla monster cranes can unload one container every five minutes. You work night and day. Nothing breaks down. You can unload HALF the cargo in 833 hours. There's just a month.

What do you put them on? Barges? How many containers does one of your river barges hold? Eighty? A hunnerd? There's prolly a hundred such barges along the length of the Nile. That's the closest river. Just how do you get them across the desert from the river to the canal?

They're pumping out ballast now and waiting for a higher tide. Which is good news; cause the critter didn't just get beneaped. It would be better news if we could just guarantee she hasn't broken her back hanging by the ends at low tide.

I just love just.

I just think they're fusterclucked. Might be wrong.

Obviously they’d have to get another container ship to offload on. They wouldn’t have to offload all of them. Just enough to raise it up. And they have to have the capability And the equipment that can do it. Because in the marine industry **** happens and you plan on it. I’ve seen massive crane barges that can pull a whole loaded sunken barge out of the water. They could use barges we haul them all the time but it would take too many to be feasible. A regular size barge can carry about 20 or so containers. It’s been awhile so I forget how many exactly. But they have barges that are damned near as big as a small ship.

@Patrickbrick said:
    Wow, that looks like Chicago ^^^^^^^^^. If Ricky was doing captain **** on that rig this never would have happened. Moral of the story here is Ricky needs to do more captain ****!

Hold my beer