Home Non Cigar Related

Guiness

I like it! I find it pairs GREAT with cigars but I'm looking to expand my horizons a little bit. Any recommendations on similar beers? Thanks guys!

Comments

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I love THIS stuff... though i'm not sure if it's similar I haven't had Guinness in a couple years.

• denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Knowing your taste in sticks, I would say try Spaten Optimator. it pairs well with full bodied sticks
  • minibeezyminibeezy Posts: 257
    I agree with Dennis on the Optimator.
    If you want to stick with stout, I prefer Beamish over Guinness. Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout is good as well.
    If you want to venture away from the stouts, check out Smithwicks or Boddingtons.
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    You could give Harps a try as well. I am personally not a fan of it but I dont like Guiness. I just know alot of peope that like them both.
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    ok thanks guys. I'll have to look around for those. It sucks because Alabama has a law that beer can only contain up to 6% alcohol per volume. Preciate it!
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    what kind of bullsh1t is that. seriously. do they sell different beer at the liquor store then?
    That's what I'm saying!! Unfortunately, no they don't; even though they can sell 151, they can't sell beer with an alcohol volume of over 6% There is a big movement called "free the hops" so atleast wheels are in motion to get it changed.
  • Young's Double Chocolate Stout is fantastic as well
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    8-ball is similar to Guinness . . . though nothing's quite as good
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Alex Williams:
    That's what I'm saying!! Unfortunately, no they don't; even though they can sell 151, they can't sell beer with an alcohol volume of over 6% There is a big movement called "free the hops" so atleast wheels are in motion to get it changed.
    Wow. A whole state absent of almost all Belgium beer........ I'm crying a little right now.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
    lilwing88:
    Alex Williams:
    Wow. A whole state absent of almost all Belgium beer........ I'm crying a little right now.
    trust me bro. It is a sad sad time. I feel like I'm in the dark ages!
  • minibeezyminibeezy Posts: 257
    Alex Williams:
    lilwing88:
    Alex Williams:

How close are you to the state line? LOL
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    All good recommendations in this thread. But the problem you'll run into with stouts is that nothing tastes quite like Guinness. I really enjoy a lot of different stouts, and I've tried a ton of them, but I've never found anything to have that creamy head or the flavor profile this like Guinness. Great beer.

If you like stouts, definitely try a porter or two. Fuller's Porter is out of this world, as is Stone Porter.
    minibeezy:
    Alex Williams:
    lilwing88:
    Alex Williams:

How close are you to the state line? LOL
    Hahaha not close enough!!
  • jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294
    I've never heard that 6% law in Alabama. Makes me appreciate living in Oregon just that much more. Maybe one day when they do free the hops you'll be able to try the Stone Brewing Imperial Stout or the Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. Both are fantastic.
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    Okay one you have to try if you can ever find it is Old Peculier ! It is from Theakstons, and is hands down one of my favorite beer/cigar combos. I would also reccomend old speckled hen, though with that beer, it's not like a guiness just a good beer for cigars. The old peculier though...really love that one with a good full body stick.
    Ok thanks guys I really appreciate it! I guess I'm just gonna have to order online and stuff like that!
  • turn_keyturn_key Posts: 90
    I do like Guiness from time to time. In fact I had a few Irish Car Bombs the other night ;)

If you like dark and creamy I would suggest a German doppelbock but given your location you may not be able to get it. The last domestic bock I had was Butthead.

Good luck.
  • ljlljl Posts: 819
    I also love Guiness. I recommend Murphy's (funny name for an Irish stout). And would second on the Boddington's though that's an ale.
  • BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    Keep your chin up with the "Free the Hops Movement". The bill was signed into law in May of 2009 raising the limit from 6% to 13.9% for beer. However, there are other restrictions like the container size among some others. So while the 6% law has been removed (thank goodness, what a stupid asinine law), there are still other facets to be worked on. You can check it all out at www.freethehops.org .
    BStayer:
    Keep your chin up with the "Free the Hops Movement". The bill was signed into law in May of 2009 raising the limit from 6% to 13.9% for beer. However, there are other restrictions like the container size among some others. So while the 6% law has been removed (thank goodness, what a stupid asinine law), there are still other facets to be worked on. You can check it all out at www.freethehops.org.
    Oh, you should have heard Alvin Holmes' arguments!! It's still being made fun of in beer circles today. He was on the floor in the state congress talking about the major beer companies saying things like, "What's wrong wit da beeas we got? It drink pretty good, don't it? I aint heard no one complain. Buhd-wysa...what are some of the otha beeas we got? Milluh? Cooooooas. It drink pretty good, don't it?" The guy had no clue about what he was talking about and yet he was fighting to keep the alcohol limit at 6%. So mindless.
    In case there's any doubt, just listen to this: Oh brotha! I thought this was pretty good.
    Gotta love Bammyland......
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I'm a huge stout connoisseur. Guiness is great but any stout by Samuel Smith is better. Oatmeal stout, imperial stout ... That should get you started. I'll try to recall some others that were good or bad. Chocolate stouts are typically pretty tasty too. Sam Adam's is good.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    I absolutely LOVE Guiness, but don't drink it much in warm weather - it's more of a cold weather drink for me for some reason. I guess it's just the way Guiness warms the soul ;-) Don't forget, Guiness Makes You Strong!!

I would second a few of the suggestions here, especially Young's Double Chocolate Stout (awesome - comes in a can with the 'widget' like Guiness), Old Peculiar (a little lighter - ale maybe?), and Sam Adams Oatmeal Stout.

An abosute must try if you like stouts is Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout, and Sammuel Smith Nut Brown Ale for that matter. They are unreal. Sam Adams Scotch Ale is also surprisingly good and drinks more like a stout (very dark).
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Nice Maduro! Great minds...
    Heavy:
    I absolutely LOVE Guiness, but don't drink it much in warm weather - it's more of a cold weather drink for me for some reason. I guess it's just the way Guiness warms the soul ;-) Don't forget, Guiness Makes You Strong!!
    In Ireland, if you donate a pint of blood, you get a coupon for a free Guiness........ true story.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Sam Adams Black Lager...pretty good...sometimes hard to find though.

"Long ashes my friends."

• doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    Sam Adam's Cream Stout (+1 to the earlier mentions) Bells Kalamazoo Stout is also great if you can find it. It's less creamy, more full bodied. As for non-stouts that I find pair well I must mention Fat Tire (New Belgium Brewery). It's a great amber ale and is my go-to. They make a great Whit (heffeweisen-like) called Mothership that's good if you want something light on the palate as well.
    doromath:
    Sam Adam's Cream Stout (+1 to the earlier mentions) Bells Kalamazoo Stout is also great if you can find it. It's less creamy, more full bodied. As for non-stouts that I find pair well I must mention Fat Tire (New Belgium Brewery). It's a great amber ale and is my go-to. They make a great Whit (heffeweisen-like) called Mothership that's good if you want something light on the palate as well.
    i LOVE fat tire but i cant get it here :( my brother lives in tennessee and loves to rub all of their awesome varieties of beer in my face!