Home Non Cigar Related
Options

The fishing thread

Comments

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful. Alaska will ruin you for fishing. When we moved back to the Lower 48 I went fishing with my cousins, caught about a 4 lb bass, they were excited talking about "what a nice fish" etc., I felt cheated. Nice fish? This tiny thing? Ruins you for crab legs, too. When your introduction to crab legs was a section of leg the size of your forearm, well, these puny finger-sized legs at the buffet just don't cut it.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was a fairly good trip. Caught at least 40 that size; could only bring 2 home, 1 each. Rules allow 10 per day, but only one can be over 18 inches. That one in the picture went 22 inches.

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

? Around here you can only keep the big fish.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    ? Around here you can only keep the big fish.

The problem with that policy is that whereas the fair-to-middlin' fish lays ~10,000 eggs, the big fish lays 2 or 3 million. Propagation of the species depends on the big fish doing its thing. At least, so I've been told.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^ She’s a beauty…..nice fish too! 👍😎

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options

@Rhamlin... You’re a year behind. She’s been around since 2007. We’re better friends than anything else..figured that out after a couple dates.

• Options
    TBonzTBonz Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭✭

For those interested, the Big Rock Blue Marlin Tournament is going on this week in Morehead City, NC. That link will take you to the Tournament site. Total payout of all categories and daily prizes is over $4.5 million. They have live radio each day and starting about 4:00 PM Eastern they have live video from the weigh in location. Most of the billfish are released (with evidence of catch and release) but so far there have been 2 large blue marlin brought in. One on Monday of 448 pounds and one yesterday of 521 pounds. Being the first blue marlin over 500 pounds this tournament and having entered the right categories in the tourney, it has already earned over $800K in prize money. It may earn more if it ends up being the largest of the tournament.

They also have categories for tuna, wahoo and dolphin (Mahi). Two boats so far have fought blue marlin for at least 5 hours and lost them before releasing or boating the fish. Tourney ends on Saturday with lines out (unless you are hooked up) at 2PM and weigh ins...

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jlmarta said:
    S’pose she’s using bearded clams for bait…. ?? 👍👴🏻

Clams have a tendency to be beardless these days.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options

I gotta get a bigger boat....

• Options
    miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jlmarta said:
    Whatever species of fish that is, it certainly looks edible to me…. 👍👴🏻

Pink snapper.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@d_blades said:

@jlmarta said:
    Whatever species of fish that is, it certainly looks edible to me…. 👍👴🏻

Pink snapper.

Bwahahaha…. 🤣🤣🤣!!
    Why didn’t I think of that…..?

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to tell from the picture Bob but it doesn’t look like the right coloration for a smallmouth. We have one up here everyone calls a “Redeye”. Best way to describe them is a cross between a bluegill and a bass. 14-16 inches is about as big as they get but they’re a helluva lot of fun to catch. I mostly get them wade fishing.

• Options
    skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice work Michael. Fishing is totally awesome. That is a white bass or Hybrid. Not really sure of the difference in those myself, but it's one of those. Good eating, I can tell ya that!

How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice haul, Dayrun.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Danke schon

How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293