Home Cigar 101
Options

Shop Etiquette

2»

Comments

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done. 
    You have been officially welcomed to the forum.
    Enjoy.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do the roll test a lot. But it’s to be done gently. And you should hear some crackle or it’s been stored in too much humidity. Sounds like you are being too rough with them to me. Mainly you are feeling for hard or soft spots. Doesn’t take much to tell that. 
  • Options
    CigarTay94CigarTay94 Posts: 2
    edited November 2018
    Do i cut the foot off of this or do I light it like it is? 
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cut just the head and see if you have a good enough draw.  If so, light it up.  I think it's fun watching the ash maintain that nipple shape.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    CigarTay94CigarTay94 Posts: 2
    Preciate it, I had been contemplating on what to do for a few hours now. And couldn’t find anything about it online. 
  • Options
    Yeah, just snip the head of it, light the foot and enjoy.
    It may be a little hard to draw at first, but once the foot gets lit enough, that cigar will open up pretty good.
    Oliva G's are usually a little loose.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do i cut the foot off of this or do I light it like it is? 
    The G’s are also Cameroon meaning the leaf is a Cameroon wrapper and is notoriously more delicate than most. The G’s seem to be less delicate but it’s still an example of one where I would not handle roughly for fear of damage. Cameroon is very popular because they are noticeably sweeter than most with a bit of nuttiness and sweet spice being common associated with that wrapper leaf. An example of the same leaf but typically more delicate and prone to damage would be the Fuente Hemingway line. Amazing cigars but the wrappers are prone to damage more so than many others. 

On the opposite end there are wrappers that are known to be quite hearty and tough with noticeable tooth and a very thick and durable leaf. A couple examples are Mexican San Andres and Connecticut and Pennsylvania Broadleaf. 

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options

So this came up in a discussion about shops and their not allowing outside cigars in their lounges.

If you buy a box of cigars from the shop and take them home, then later want to bring them with you to the lounge, are they now considered outside cigars and not allowed?
    Or do you have to keep the receipt to prove you purchased them from the shop?
    Hell, I can't even find a Home Depot receipt for crap I bought 2 hours ago.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    Cam_91Cam_91 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would still purchase a different cigar on the second visit.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

I figure the shop knows regulars and nothing would probably be said to regular paying customers

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021

Wayne is right, as most shop owners interpret it. If you wanna smoke the whole box there, then keep the box there. If the shop doesn't have lockers, they still might store the box for you at the shop.

My shop has a "lounge is for today's cigar customer" sign on the window. Tacky, but the rule and meaning is clear.

If you want to be trusted and allowed to bend the rules a little but still do the right thing with nobody checking, then what you're talking about is "being a regular," sorta like Peter in his shop.

You can't become a regular in your first trip to the shop. It takes numerous positive interactions over a protracted time period, sorta like this place.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

@VegasFrank said:
    My shop has a "lounge is for today's cigar customer" sign on the window. Tacky, but the rule and meaning is clear.

I actually think that is a clear sign.

One of the lounges I go to once in a while has a cover charge and no restrictions.
    I still buy a couple, cause they usually have a few hard to find cigars.

The local cigar shop keeps several boxes of cigars specifically for me, so if I use the lounge, I grab some of those.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

The local B&M near my mom's house has a cover charge which they waive if you buy like a couple cigars, IIRC. if your not a member. They also give their members card-key access for after hours access.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

@0patience said:

@VegasFrank said:

One of the lounges I go to once in a while has a cover charge and no restrictions.

The local cigar shop keeps several boxes of cigars specifically for me, so if I use the lounge, I grab some of those.

All valid points, and every shop can treat it differently. I say tacky because the clientele (regulars) think it's petty. Of course, the sign is for THEM so there's that...

Don't look ↑
  • Options

@VegasFrank said:

@0patience said:

@VegasFrank said:

All valid points, and every shop can treat it differently. I say tacky because the clientele (regulars) think it's petty. Of course, the sign is for THEM so there's that...

I have no problem with requirements at lounges. They are, after all, there to make money.
    If your cigar shop takes care of you, take care of them.
    I have my tower cabinet humidor because the local cigar shop owner got it for me.
    I had to pay what he paid, $250 and it came with a Hydra electric humidifier.
    He knows he will recoup his money from me.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    Cam_91Cam_91 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

@0patience said:

@VegasFrank said:

I like this better. As long as it’s not too steep