Home Cigar 101

What do you do when an expensive cigar doesn't smoke like it should?

BrokegunnerBrokegunner Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭✭

So here's a question that is fresh in my mind because I'm living it right now... I was out of town and bought around $300 worth of cigars & accessories at a fancy shop. One of those cigars is a DE L-40 that I have never seen locally. If I told you what I paid for it you'd probably laugh but I really wanted to try one.
Today I lit it up and the first few hits felt like it had a hole in it. That same feeling pretty much describes the whole cigar which is down to about 3" left and it's finally smoking like it should.
I don't usually complain when I get a bad cigar but I've bought packs of 20 for what this cost so I'm wondering what I should do, if anything? I was thinking of writing an email to Drew Estate, or should I contact the store... or just chalk it up to bad luck and move on.
I'm curious what others do in this situation?

"Not all heroes eat crepes"

Comments

• StubbleStubble Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be thankful for the three inches you did enjoy? I can't stand "fighting" with a cigar, and will toss it when I realize I'm not enjoying it.

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • BrokegunnerBrokegunner Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stubble said:
    Be thankful for the three inches you did enjoy? I can't stand "fighting" with a cigar, and will toss it when I realize I'm not enjoying it.

That's a good point... and yes I am thoroughly enjoying it now. Glad I didn't give up!!

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

In some cases I've heard stories of shop owners replacing cigars when someone gets a bad one and is smoking it in the lounge. I've also heard stories (rare) of someone contacting the maker and getting replacement(s). I haven't done any of these myself.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you smoke many lanceros? I ask because the draw can be much different than other vitolas. A lot of people complain that they are too tight. Lanceros have to be smoked a little different and sometimes you really have to pay attention to how they’re burning. Personally I love the L-40, but I’m a lancero guy. You might want to try a few that are a little more wallet friendly to see if you experience the same sort of thing. Glad you enjoyed part of it at least.

• BullSquatchBullSquatch Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had great experiences in this situation with my local Casa de MonteCristo in Mooresville, NC. They have always offered to replace it. One time, I wasn't even smoking in their lounge and brought a cigar back that wouldn't light. I am showed them the next day it wouldn't puff and they replaced it immediately. I am kinda lucky to have a shop like that near me.

"Some people meditate, I smoke cigars." - Ron Perlman
    "...I intend to go home tonight and smoke a cigar to the glory of God." - Charles Spurgeon
    Two Time Cigar Lottery Winner

• BrokegunnerBrokegunner Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rdp77 said:
    Do you smoke many lanceros? I ask because the draw can be much different than other vitolas. A lot of people complain that they are too tight. Lanceros have to be smoked a little different and sometimes you really have to pay attention to how they’re burning. Personally I love the L-40, but I’m a lancero guy. You might want to try a few that are a little more wallet friendly to see if you experience the same sort of thing. Glad you enjoyed part of it at least.

I had my first one a few months ago, it was an Oliva and it was excellent. Then I got an El Gueguense wise man and I loved it, so that's what prompted this purchase. So no, I haven't smoked many of these but didn't have any issues with the others.

My local shop has been great about replacing cigars when I am there, even if I mention that I don't care for one I am smoking he always offers to swap it out but I don't take him up on it because there's nothing wrong with the cigar, it just might not be for me.

I did check the DE website and there is a form you can fill out and send in proof of purchase, so I'll try to check and see if I kept the receipt and see what they say.
    I bought another five pack on cigarbid last week so I'll try one of those after they rest a bit and see how it goes.

Thanks for the replies!

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stubble said:

I learned from Steve. Cigars are meant to be enjoyed and relaxing. If its not, pitch it and grab another.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.