Home Ratings & Reviews

Oliva Serie O Maduro

JZJZ Posts: 827
New review posted at thread bottom.

First impression....not so good. I removed the cello and was disappointed in the wrapper quality. The wrapper was damaged and looked as if it was put on that way. There were large areas that looked like there were holes (dime size) in the original leaf. There were several veins throughout, including a very large one running the length of the stick. The cigar was additionally curved slighty. I've never saw this before. I fired the stick up anyways and wasn't really impressed. The cigar was on the harsh side and left a terrible taste in my mouth. The smoke was inconsistent, some draws produced large amounts of smoke, others I struggled to produce small amounts of smoke. That probably could be attributed to the curve. I was only able to smoke about an inch or less before I had to abandon ship. I've had very good Oliva's in the past and think this was probably a fluke. Anyone else have comments on this stick?

Comments

• Must have been a fluke, Oliva Serie O Maduros are my fav and all the ones I have had, looked, smoked, burned and tasted awesome... odd indeed.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    dubiousmonk:
    Must have been a fluke, Oliva Serie O Maduros are my fav and all the ones I have had, looked, smoked, burned and tasted awesome... odd indeed.
    Definitely a bad stick. I have been through about 2 or 3 boxes of these things and have not had any problems at all. They are one of my go-to smokes. I seriously reccomend giving it another try.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I have smoked many Series O naturals but never the Maduro. The Natural has always provided excellent results. It must have just been a bad stick
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    JZ:
    First impression....not so good. I removed the cello and was disappointed in the wrapper quality. The wrapper was damaged and looked as if it was put on that way. There were large areas that looked like there were holes (dime size) in the original leaf. There were several veins throughout, including a very large one running the length of the stick. The cigar was additionally curved slighty. I've never saw this before. I fired the stick up anyways and wasn't really impressed. The cigar was on the harsh side and left a terrible taste in my mouth. The smoke was inconsistent, some draws produced large amounts of smoke, others I struggled to produce small amounts of smoke. That probably could be attributed to the curve. I was only able to smoke about an inch or less before I had to abandon ship. I've had very good Oliva's in the past and think this was probably a fluke. Anyone else have comments on this stick?
    Fluke. I like the Os and the Gs..... never been disappointed, myself.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ive never had an O that i liked. maduro or natural.

the G's on the other hand.... i have never been let down by a G maduro.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    kuzi16:

Same here. However I have had several of the O's and tons of the G's and have never had any serious construction problems with them. Have you Kuzi? Love the G's, not so much the O's.

I think these are much like Gurkha's... they may not be your cup of tea, but they are well made.

Do you know the history of that particular stick? By that I mean did you purchase it from a B&M or online or was it gifted or what? Sounds almost like this stick may have been VERY wet at one time, and I don't mean green or fresh. That's the only thing I could think of.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    However I have had several of the O's and tons of the G's and have never had any serious construction problems with them. Have you Kuzi?
    only the perfecto. mostly it was just taste.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    JZ:
    I had a similar experience with that one, minus the bent stick. Mine wasn't cut straight though. To be fair, I've never been a big Oliva fan. Good cigars overall, but not my cup of tea.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    JZ:

Just had one of these it fell apart the second I cut it...... tryed to repair it no no avail.... Took offf the band and there was a dime size hole in the secondary wrapper..... was very disapointed in this cigar, have read reviews and was looking forward to trying it.
    the only way I will get the chance now is if someone fires one to me and it stays together I wont invest.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I have only had good experiences with the Serie O maduro. Sometimes the cigar itself looks a bit rough, but I've never had a construction problem aside from the cap coming off the cigar after the cut, but that was probably my fault. As far as taste though, mine have been spot on for the most part, they can be harsh when fresh so I'd always recommend a couple months of downtime for them, but I've never had a bad one.
  • jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294
    Oliva is one of my go to labels and I happen to have most of a box of the O maduros in my humidor right now. I think they are pretty damn good.
  • JZJZ Posts: 827
    laker1963:
    kuzi16:

Same here. However I have had several of the O's and tons of the G's and have never had any serious construction problems with them. Have you Kuzi? Love the G's, not so much the O's.

I think these are much like Gurkha's... they may not be your cup of tea, but they are well made.

Do you know the history of that particular stick? By that I mean did you purchase it from a B&M or online or was it gifted or what? Sounds almost like this stick may have been VERY wet at one time, and I don't mean green or fresh. That's the only thing I could think of.
    It was from ccom from the 6 Oliva sampler. I liked the G a lot, havent had the V yet.
    JZ:
    laker1963:
    kuzi16:

It was from ccom from the 6 Oliva sampler. I liked the G a lot, havent had the V yet.
    If you took any pictures of the stick you may be wise to contact Oliva directly. Even if you didn't a craftily worded letter may result in them at least making good for the stick. You have nothing to lose.

The Series V is FANTASTIC !!! What size are you sitting on? The Double Toro ROCKS. But I know Kuzi prefers the Figurado. It is a LOT more cigar then the O or the G. You'll want to have eaten a good size meal prior to lighting up. Too bad about the O you had come apart. Oliva is a good company making quality sticks. Just a fluke.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I wonder what jerk gifted you a bogus cigar! That guy must be a real @ss!

"Long ashes my friends."

Krieg:
    Ummm, maybe you should re-read his post. It was part of a six pack sampler from Oliva.

I was NOT contending that someone gifted him a **** stick on purpose or anything. Some people know nothing about cigars and how they should be handled. I thought he may have aquired it thru a source such as that. Apparently it was thru a sampler which is why I suggested he try to contact Oliva direct.
    laker1963:
    Krieg:
    Ummm, maybe you should re-read his post. It was part of a six pack sampler from Oliva.

I was NOT contending that someone gifted him a **** stick on purpose or anything. Some people know nothing about cigars and how they should be handled. I thought he may have aquired it thru a source such as that. Apparently it was thru a sampler which is why I suggested he try to contact Oliva direct.
    Krieg was the jerk! LOL. It was my xmas present. The curved nature of the stick gives new meaning to smoking a "j".
    JZ:
    laker1963:
    Krieg:

Krieg was the jerk! LOL. It was my xmas present. The curved nature of the stick gives new meaning to smoking a "j".
    Well then I stand on what I said. Write Oliva.
    laker1963:
    JZ:
    laker1963:
    Krieg:

i doubt Oliva would do anything just for one cigar.

"Long ashes my friends."

Krieg:
    laker1963:
    JZ:
    laker1963:
    Krieg:

Then you wouldn't sit down and craft a letter which would entice them to do just that. I would. Oliva does not want to send out such an abomination to one of "their best customers for years now" because that might cause me to look for a new stadard and to talk to my freinds about the whole situation on the MANY online forums related to cigars that I would name and let them know I visit often.

If done properly, the amount of bad publicity and the idea that they were going to lose at least one full time customer if not more, would be enough to warrant replacing at LEAST this one cigar. I think.
    laker1963:
    Krieg:
    laker1963:
    JZ:
    laker1963:
    Krieg:

Then you wouldn't sit down and craft a letter which would entice them to do just that. I would. Oliva does not want to send out such an abomination to one of "their best customers for years now" because that might cause me to look for a new stadard and to talk to my freinds about the whole situation on the MANY online forums related to cigars that I would name and let them know I visit often.

If done properly, the amount of bad publicity and the idea that they were going to lose at least one full time customer if not more, would be enough to warrant replacing at LEAST this one cigar. I think.
    I'm going to send them some feedback. Hopefully knowing that some substandard products are making it out of the factory will help in the future with quality control. I dont expect them to send out a replacement stick which isnt a big deal, things happen sometimes. I not looking for a handout, but on the other hand I wouldnt turn them away! Hopefully they'll be receptive to some critism, I know I would if I were a business owner.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Olivas are in my favs ande they have never disappointed. I would venture it was a poorly humidified stik.
    My humi is 68% at 67 - 70 degrees. I check it everyday. Plus, none of my other cigars are in that condition. It may have been an issue elsewhere prior but I doubt it. All of the others in the set look good and the ones Ive smoked were great.
    Well Jose Oliva sent me an email himself which meant a lot to me. The fact that he took time out of his busy schedule to acknowledge my existence was awesome. It bodes well for the company.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Well...what'd he say???
    In a nut shell he said that he appreciated the feedback and that it truly helps to hear about issues that the consumer encounters. I have a 6 sampler replacement being sent to me. Truly a company with pride. I sent them a picture as well.
    To be fair I thought I would share my latest experience with the Oliva O maduro. This one came as a replacement from Jose Oliva himself. Immediately I noticed that the wrapper was flawless which was already better than the first. I fired it up and was quite suprised on how good it really was meant to be. Good flavors of wood, nice burn and draw. I'm glad I was able to try this one again. I smoked it while reading the book Lone Survivor which made for a nice and relaxing afternoon.
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Glad it ended well. I had one (my only one) a week or so ago. Very impressed with it. I was reading another forum a while back where Steve Saka (Drew Estate president) replied directly to a person complaining about a Livga Privada No.9, offering him some sticks. It's nice to see these guys realy care about their customers and are concerned about their product.
    JZ:
    To be fair I thought I would share my latest experience with the Oliva O maduro. This one came as a replacement from Jose Oliva himself. Immediately I noticed that the wrapper was flawless which was already better than the first. I fired it up and was quite suprised on how good it really was meant to be. Good flavors of wood, nice burn and draw. I'm glad I was able to try this one again. I smoked it while reading the book Lone Survivor which made for a nice and relaxing afternoon.
    Good deal, glad you had a good experience, just wait till you try that V! It will sneak up on you...

"Long ashes my friends."

• gdsim1gdsim1 Posts: 213
    I smoke Oliva products of all shapes and sizes regularly and have never had an issue like this! I would get in touch with wherever you purchased it & see what they have to say for themselves. If it was a Ccom purchase, I KNOW The Beard will make it right by you.

gdsim1:
    I smoke Oliva products of all shapes and sizes regularly and have never had an issue like this! I would get in touch with wherever you purchased it & see what they have to say for themselves. If it was a Ccom purchase, I KNOW The Beard will make it right by you.

It was definetly a flaw from the factory. No need for the beard, Oliva took care of it. I would hate to penalize CCOM for a manufacturer flaw. Glad Oliva stands by their product.