Home General Discussion

Introducing the new CIGAR.com Elite Advantage Loyalty Program

Comments

• BrokegunnerBrokegunner Posts: 435 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    Wow, I'm impressed!

...at my lack of self control??? LOL I am usually pretty frugal so I was a little shocked myself.

"Not all heroes eat crepes"

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021

@TheCigarChick said:
    @Rdp77 - **If you'd like, please send me your contact info and I can have the Customer Service Supervisor here in PA reach out to you directly. **

Being assigned an Account Manager once a customer reaches the Platinum Level was created as a perk, as these folks tend to have some different needs based off of their shopping habits.

Account Managers are a little different than our traditional Customer Service personnel. Essentially, an Acct Mgr would be someone you work with one-on-one consistently, as they would get to know you, your preferences, etc; when it comes to a Customer Service Rep, they can assist with order placement, product questions, shipping issues, et al., but odds are you won't speak to the same person over and over again.

Forgive me for the more effeminate analogy - I am female after all - but an Account Manager is like having a Personal Shopper at Neiman Marcus: they know you, your likes and dislikes, and you general needs. If my Personal Shopper knows I have a black tie gala to attend, they call me to tell me gowns are set aside, and ask me when I'm available to try them on before buying. In the cigar world, it's like getting personalized recommendations from someone who truly understands your tastes; in addition, if something came into stock we couldn't really advertise for whatever reason, but your Acct Mgr knows you love the brand, they would reach out to you so in theory you don't miss out. Once again, sorry for the less masculine comparison here, but that's the first concept that popped into my head as a clear example.

Excuse me for being cynical, but this is crap. Tim was my go to guy for my smokes. I didn't have to spend $1000 a month for his expertise. Sorry, but I don't feel like calling an 800 number to speak with Habib to order cigars. I just built my own walk in humidor for my house and was hoping to get my orders from an actual account mgr. Which in my case used to be Katie, but she isn't responding to my emails (big mistake). Guess I will be ordering my sticks at my local B&M. Ever since Svenson
    and Tim left, this place went to ****. Taking something that was free and just great customer service and making it a "perk" is ridiculous. What is this, Apple?

"Long ashes my friends."

• TheCigarChickTheCigarChick Moderator Posts: 296 admin

@Krieg - Could you please send me what email is attached to your CIGAR.com Account? Since you've named Katie as your Account Manager and she is not responding to your emails, I need to be able to address this issue with Katie and her Supervisor. My email is lindsayh@cigar.com.

Once again, I want to preface there is nothing stopping any customer whether new or old from contacting a human being via our 800-number. We don't have any robots or crazy speak-to-robot prompts you need use to reach a human being, but there are many times where call volume is high, as all of our representatives answer all questions asked of them, so it's less of an "order taker" scenario where calls are cut-and-dry. Having an Account Manager obviously means you have a more direct way of contacting someone should you have a question, concern, or would like to place an order.

"Once again, I want to preface there is nothing stopping any customer whether new or old from contacting a human being via our 800-number. "

You just don't get it, do you? Why do I want to call and be on hold when I could have just shot off a quick email and get a response in a hour or so? Good bye Ccom! Hello Cigar Page!

"Long ashes my friends."

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, not sure why I was named specifically. But since you also mentioned Alex and cigar page both by name I’m going to guess that there’s a connection.

• VisionVision Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rdp77 said:
    Wow, not sure why I was named specifically. But since you also mentioned Alex and cigar page both by name I’m going to guess that there’s a connection.

Krieg goes back to the OG days when Alex was active on the forum.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't look ↑
  • CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Krieg said:

@TheCigarChick said:
    @Rdp77 - **If you'd like, please send me your contact info and I can have the Customer Service Supervisor here in PA reach out to you directly. **

Being assigned an Account Manager once a customer reaches the Platinum Level was created as a perk, as these folks tend to have some different needs based off of their shopping habits.

Account Managers are a little different than our traditional Customer Service personnel. Essentially, an Acct Mgr would be someone you work with one-on-one consistently, as they would get to know you, your preferences, etc; when it comes to a Customer Service Rep, they can assist with order placement, product questions, shipping issues, et al., but odds are you won't speak to the same person over and over again.

Forgive me for the more effeminate analogy - I am female after all - but an Account Manager is like having a Personal Shopper at Neiman Marcus: they know you, your likes and dislikes, and you general needs. If my Personal Shopper knows I have a black tie gala to attend, they call me to tell me gowns are set aside, and ask me when I'm available to try them on before buying. In the cigar world, it's like getting personalized recommendations from someone who truly understands your tastes; in addition, if something came into stock we couldn't really advertise for whatever reason, but your Acct Mgr knows you love the brand, they would reach out to you so in theory you don't miss out. Once again, sorry for the less masculine comparison here, but that's the first concept that popped into my head as a clear example.

Excuse me for being cynical, but this is crap. Tim was my go to guy for my smokes. I didn't have to spend $1000 a month for his expertise. Sorry, but I don't feel like calling an 800 number to speak with Habib to order cigars. I just built my own walk in humidor for my house and was hoping to get my orders from an actual account mgr. Which in my case used to be Katie, but she isn't responding to my emails (big mistake). Guess I will be ordering my sticks at my local B&M. Ever since Svenson
    and Tim left, this place went to ****. Taking something that was free and just great customer service and making it a "perk" is ridiculous. What is this, Apple?

Karen.

@Krieg said:
    "Once again, I want to preface there is nothing stopping any customer whether new or old from contacting a human being via our 800-number. "

You just don't get it, do you? Why do I want to call and be on hold when I could have just shot off a quick email and get a response in a hour or so? Good bye Ccom! Hello Cigar Page!

Your extremely racist and non-sensical “Habib” comment aside, I have now publicly stated twice that I am trying to assist you. All I have asked for is for you to send me the email associated with your CIGAR.com account so I can have our Customer Service Supervisor call you, and sort out the issue with your Account Manager.

If you would like me to intervene and have your issue sorted immediately, I would be happy to do so, but I cannot assist without an email to locate your account.

@Krieg said:
    I know my email address, but CompuServe didn't give me the associated zip code, And I can't get a hold of their customer reps on my rotary phone either! If they want my business, they need to support my pulse phone!

Don't look ↑
  • Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

@TheCigarChick said:

@Krieg said:

Your extremely racist and non-sensical “Habib” comment aside, I have now publicly stated twice that I am trying to assist you. All I have asked for is for you to send me the email associated with your CIGAR.com account so I can have our Customer Service Supervisor call you, and sort out the issue with your Account Manager.

If you would like me to intervene and have your issue sorted immediately, I would be happy to do so, but I cannot assist without an email to locate your account.

Krieg's use of "Habib" isn't racist. He did not say anything detrimental to any race or ethnicity, he didn't make any claim that one race or ethnicity is inferior. He obviously expressed discontent with the possibility that his calls will be fielded by a foreigner that is difficult to understand or has no real personal connection to CCom. He doesn't want outsourcing, just like most of us don't. However, he certainly is NOT being racist.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

@Hobbes86 - Unfortunately this is where you are also incorrect. Racism isn't just simply claiming a specific group of people is superior or inferior; it covers a wide variety of instances such as using a slur when referring to someone different than yourselves - and especially so when expressing discontent.

A lot of culturally-insensitive people tend to throw around the word 'Habib' - meaning "dear" or "beloved" in Arabic, Hindu, and Urdu, as well as "friend" in Hebrew - when referring to any "brown" person, or someone they perceive to be "brown" based off of accent. It's the same as referring to any other person of a noted race or ethnic group via the gross epithets which have been devised for them by society over the years, and it's not right.

The vast majority of our Customer Service Associates at CIGAR.com are located right here in Pennsylvania, about a 10-minute drive from our warehouse. Like any other sizeable business, we do have what is referred to as "overflow agents," and these folks assist during times of high call volume, as well as when there's a time zone difference. Should a customer call and get a non-Pennsylvania agent, they're not being re-routed to India or the Middle East, and thus, the 'Habib' comment still remains entirely unjustified.

@TheCigarChick said:
    @Hobbes86 - Unfortunately this is where you are also incorrect. Racism isn't just simply claiming a specific group of people is superior or inferior; it covers a wide variety of instances such as using a slur when referring to someone different than yourselves - and especially so when expressing discontent.

A lot of culturally-insensitive people tend to throw around the word 'Habib' - meaning "dear" or "beloved" in Arabic, Hindu, and Urdu, as well as "friend" in Hebrew - when referring to any "brown" person, or someone they perceive to be "brown" based off of accent. It's the same as referring to any other person of a noted race or ethnic group via the gross epithets which have been devised for them by society over the years, and it's not right.

The vast majority of our Customer Service Associates at CIGAR.com are located right here in Pennsylvania, about a 10-minute drive from our warehouse. Like any other sizeable business, we do have what is referred to as "overflow agents," and these folks assist during times of high call volume, as well as when there's a time zone difference. Should a customer call and get a non-Pennsylvania agent, they're not being re-routed to India or the Middle East, and thus, the 'Habib' comment still remains entirely unjustified.

Racism is believing that a specific race is either inferior or superior. Using a racial slur is simply that, using a racial slur. It can be an indicator of racism, but doesn't make one racist. Near as I can figure anyways.

:)

Also, just a side note, how is Krieg to know that many of your Customer Service Associates reside in Pennsylvania? We have a lot of outsourcing from American companies, so surely you can understand why someone might jump to the conclusion that that is what is going to happen, right? I am not saying anyone is right or wrong in this discussion of customer service and how it has changed over the years, but surely both sides can understand motivations and reasonings from each other.

@Hobbes86 - As I prefaced to Krieg, I can have someone from PA reach out to him directly; he seems to not have wanted to privately provide me the information needed for a Supervisor to locate his account, thus obtaining his contact information and sorting all of this out to his satisfaction.

With regard to jumping to conclusions and assumptions in general, that is often a dangerous path to take. For example: Although I've worked to neutralize it as much as I possibly can, I have an accent. Whenever I go from speaking Spanish back to English I sound like a foreigner, so what if I worked in CustServ and answered Krieg's call? Would he be right in assuming he thought his call just got routed to somewhere in Latin America when I'm in PA?

All of my attempts to make this person happy and feel like a valued customer never even got off of the ground, because despite going out of his way to complain, without accurate contact information, the wrongs can't be "righted". You can speak to many people on this Forum who have asked questions, lodged complaints, etc., that I make sure issues are addressed immediately. Many here will reach out to me directly and if I can fix it, I do it; if I cannot, then I reach out to the appropriate individual in CustServ, fill them in on the problem, and then CustServ will tackle the task at-hand.

No business regardless of its size is perfect, and we are all working everyday to improve on any area that may be deemed unsatisfactory. In most cases change doesn't happen overnight, but we compile daily feedback and sort the issues, prioritizing along the way. I wish I had a magic wand to make it all perfect 100% of the time, but alas I'm only human.

@TheCigarChick - In your case, no, he wouldn't be right in assuming you weren't in the U.S.A. based only on your accent. However, in many other cases he could very well be right. American businesses outsource a lot of phone calls with customer service reps. It is okay for him to look down on this outsourcing, as it does present complications and gets rid of American jobs.

I think you handled yourself fine when it comes to Krieg, aside from your accusation of racism and cultural insensitivity. You came across to me as genuinely wanting to correct the issue and aid in his understanding of what this program is all about. Sometimes, with some people, they just don't want to be helped.

I think that the moral of the story is that Krieg is an old grumpy curmudgeon who didn't want his problem solved. Rather, he wanted his problem known. Maybe he was trying to score some free gift certificates bring down the cost of his price protected Romeo 1875 Churchills, or maybe he was just being himself.....

Don't look ↑
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hobbes86
    Let’s say you’re right that “Habib” isn’t racist, it’s bigoted. So you’re cool with calling Asians “Charlie”? How’s about someone of color “Boy”? WTF. Calling a Native woman Pocahontas is ok I’m assuming…… ???

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

Calm down gentleman. It's not the end of the world and Hobbes isn't a monster.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

@0patience said:
    It used to be that we had one specific person we called or emailed.
    The person "you work with one-on-one consistently, as they would get to know you, your preferences," etc; AND "they can assist with order placement, product questions, shipping issues, et al.."

I haven't had someone like that since Andy left and my purchases reflect that.
    Sorry, I'll stay with the forum, but the days of calling someone and saying, I got this much to spend, what can you do for me, are pretty much over for me.

I'm kind of funny that way, I spend my money where I feel like they want my money.
    The moment I feel like a number, I'm out.

Exactly.

"Long ashes my friends."

@CalvinAndHobo said:

@Krieg said:

@TheCigarChick said:

Karen.

In order for you to insult me, I first have to care about your opinion.

"Long ashes my friends."

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rdp77 said:
    Why the hell am I still getting tagged by this shìt

If you'd

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

edited December 2021

@Krieg said:

@CalvinAndHobo said:

@Krieg said:

@TheCigarChick said:

Karen.

In order for you to insult me, I first have to care about your opinion.

Looks like @Karen was visited by the ghost of Christmas past....long past, like before the civil rights movent.

Oh, and @Rdp77, you know, just so you can keep up with it.

How's that walk-in doing? Ccom didnt vanish, you know....

Don't look ↑
  • Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank Im just curious if it has taken him this long to come up with that stupendously witty comeback or if his aol password had expired.

@Rdp77 said:
    @VegasFrank Im just curious if it has taken him this long to come up with that stupendously witty comeback or if his aol password had expired.

It took him that long to dial in and pull up the site on his 56K modem....

Don't look ↑
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

@VegasFrank said:

@Rdp77 said:

It took him that long to dial in and pull up the site on his 56K modem....

You'd be happy to know that I just upgraded to a US Robotics 56k, its a GREAT modem! LOL

"Long ashes my friends."

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

When 3Com bought US Robotics, it was the beginning of the end. They ended up switching out the better Microcom modems in their Remote Access products to US Robotics Modems all because of the hype behind the Palm Pilot.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

My mother built modems at microcom, when some electronics were still made here.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.