Home Ratings & Reviews

CAO LX2

madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
So these babies don't get released until October but thanks to the friendly local B&M owner I got to smoke one on Sunday. Now this isn't going to be a review bc I smoke this cigar right after smoking a Tatuaje Red Label so picking out flavors in it wasn't going to be accurate. What I can tell you is I can't wait to get more. This cigar was powerful and flavorful and I once again got lucky enough to try a cigar pre-release. :)

Comments

• Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    You lucky dog. I need to explore mor CAOs I am home. Too bad you can't give a full review but your opinion is valued anyway. I btw you should have package headed you way sometime. I ordered them a while back but they were 'on order'. Thanks for the help a while back.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Yea I know, I wanted to take it home and give it a proper review but the owner handed it to me and wanted my opinion on it bc I "like the strong stuff". I'm not that great with reviews anyways as you guys have seen. I find that when I sit down and do a full review of a cigar I'm always dissappointed in it and never really enjoy it.

You didn't have to send me anything man, I was just trying to help you guys out. Thanks though. Did the pillows work well over there?
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    "LX2" is for double ligero?
    urbino:
    Correct sir.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    urbino:
    Correct sir.
    this sounds like imma gunna need me a few of these.

the Mx2 and the Cx2 are both in reference tot he wrapper and binder. is it the same for the Lx2? or is it just two ligero leaves in the filler where many if not most have it?
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I was just reading up on these last night and thought about posting about them. I drooled a little as I was reading a description of them. Come October I'll be getting some of these babies.

kuzi: From what I've read, the cigar is 100% ligero leaf.
    j0z3r:
    kuzi: From what I've read, the cigar is 100% ligero leaf.
    !!!!!

!!

!

i cant wait.
    I know, I feel the same way.
    madurofan:
    Yea I know, I wanted to take it home and give it a proper review but the owner handed it to me and wanted my opinion on it bc I "like the strong stuff". I'm not that great with reviews anyways as you guys have seen. I find that when I sit down and do a full review of a cigar I'm always dissappointed in it and never really enjoy it.

You didn't have to send me anything man, I was just trying to help you guys out. Thanks though. Did the pillows work well over there?
    Yeah, they worked out great. They are helping the Chaps get his humidor at a sustainable level for now. I'll probably add some beads to it when I get back.
    Can anyone explain the Ligero? I've heard it before but I'm not sure of its significants.
    I was told it just meant the wrapper and binder were ligero but to be honest I haven't done any research. I will try to now. I know its a powerhouse, it didn't taste extremely strong but when I got in my truck afterwards, I thought to myself, Self, should I be driving? Awesome double bond on this thing too. The bottom band says "Fortaleza Tres". I smoked the robusto, FYI.

Andy the Ligero is the second set of leaves from the top of the tobacco plant. Corona leaves are the top but not generally used as they are typically very small. Ligero being at the top of the plant are exposed to the most sunlight bringing out more sugars and typically the strongest body of all the tobacco from a plant. Simply the more Ligero used in a cigar the fuller the body. There is much more to it than just that but thats the quick and dirty.
    Andy: the ligero leaf is picked from higher up on the tobacco plant, and the higher up a leaf is the more sunlight and the more nutrients it receives. With the ligero, the additional sun and nutrient levels translates into a leaf that is fuller in body than those leaves from the lower primings of the plant. Others can explain the primings much better than I can, but I think that's the general info to answer your question.

damn maduro beat me to it.
    the two posts above explained it fairly well. i only have one thing to add but it takes a moment to do so...

when a tobaco plant is being harvested the farmers pick the leaves from the bottem up. the first week of harvesting they will pick the bottem two leaves. this is the first priming. these leaves have had the most shade and the least amount of time on the plant and are usually used as a filler. the next week they will pick the next two or four leaves up, or the second priming. these leaves are a bit more hearty and can also be used as binder leaf. THe further up the plant you go the higher the priming number is. there can be up to 7 weeks from the time the harvest starts to the time that the ligero and the coronas leaves are harvested. thats alot of extra time on the plant.

a while back i posted a thread called "blending 101" and it goes a bit more in depth on some of these concepts.
    kuz have you ever known the corona leaves to be used?
    im almost 100% sure that the ligero leaf is the highest priming used in cigar manufacture. the caronas leaves may be used for other things but in cigars they are to small.
    Thats what I thought.
    Thanks for the info guys...y'all are always insightful.
    Anytime ...
  • Alec Bradley Pryme uses the corona as a wrapper. It's the only one that I know of, but I may be wrong.
    Really? Very interesting that has to be a full bodied knockout of a cigar.
  • madurofan:
    Really? Very interesting that has to be a full bodied knockout of a cigar.

It's full bodied, but it's not a knock-you-on-your-a$$ kinda cigar. It's fairly earthy with a touch of spice, some coffee notes towards the middle but not a lot, very faint. I really like this cigar, never a construction problem with one yet.

And so I don't completely thread jack: I love the Mx2, not a fan of the Cx2, but the Lx2 sounds right up my alley. Can't wait for the release
    jaytothen:
    Alec Bradley Pryme uses the corona as a wrapper. It's the only one that I know of, but I may be wrong.
    how can they use a leaf so small ? got anymore info on this so i can learn some more?
  • kuzi16:
    how can they use a leaf so small ? got anymore info on this so i can learn some more?

Go to http://www.alecbradley.com and click on products. It lists the Corona as a Ecudarian strain. Also, I'm sure I can't list it, but a certain competitor has a staff review on these things that explains a little about the primings and what priming is used for what. Not very in depth, but does mention a little. As to the actual process of producing enough leaves that are wrapper quality, the only thing I know is that less the 10% harvested is used, which is probably one reason it's such an expensive stick.
    im gunna check that out. thanks!
    for those that dont wanna go to that site its listed as:
    Wrapper: Dark Ecuador Corona
    binder: Mexico
    Filler: Ligero Jamastran, Honduras; Ligero Jalapa, Nicaragua; Ligero Piloto Cubano, Dominican Republic, Ligero, Mexican.

that list alone makes me want that cigar. Im wondering though if the corona mentioned int he wrapper is actually the top leaf or a strain of tobacco.

i think i just hit the edge of my tobacco plant knowledge. If i take one more step im over the edge and talking 100% out of my ass.

... not just 50%

HA!
    kuzi16:
    Filler: Ligero Jamastran, Honduras; Ligero Jalapa, Nicaragua; Ligero Piloto Cubano, Dominican Republic, Ligero, Mexican.

that list alone makes me want that cigar. Im wondering though if the corona mentioned int he wrapper is actually the top leaf or a strain of tobacco.
    I'm in love ...
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:

I'm in love ...
    That's what PM's are for... you two find a room and keep your affair off these boards
    I found a room its in your house every Wednesday around 11 in the morning. Gotta love those Water Pillows!
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Ouch! hmmm... that explains the case of the missing cigar last Wednesday
    It was very Monica-esque last Wednesday ...