Home General Discussion

The Blundering Aficianado

Cruiser5Cruiser5 Posts: 17 ✭✭

I've been ordering from Cigar.com for a few years now and recently got myself a wine-a-dor and joined the Cigar of the Month club just this month. With that being said, I consider myself a noob at the hobby and a blundering one at that. Case in point. Here I am sitting out on the back porch and trying out one of the expert's picks for this month: an Alec Bradley Prensado Lost Ark. It doesn't take long for the hungry mosquitos to come knocking. Here in Texas, they are as big as sparrows. I quickly reach for the mosquito repellent and start spraying my exposed arms and neck. Somehow, I must have wiped my hand across my mouth which is now producing a bad chemical taste as I'm trying to smoke this fine cigar. Ghaaa!

Comments

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did it at least keep the skeeters 🦟 off you

• Cruiser5Cruiser5 Posts: 17 ✭✭

Thanks for the tips!

• Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rdp77 said:
    Tupperdore
    Boveda
    They’re fine
    Cooler
    Don’t panic
    Boveda
    https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/3027/the-newbie-welcoming-thread#latest

That should cover the basics

...and more Boveda, plus another cooler.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Cruiser5Cruiser5 Posts: 17 ✭✭

I'm only one month into my COTM club and I've been enjoying it so far. Thank you for your honest opinion.

• TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was my WTF. Seriously using skeeter spray with a lit cigar. Spray goes everywhere besides the flammable thing, you just probably sprayed your tobacco as well. Welcome to the forum, but get your head out of your butt, if using spray go downwind a good distance then wash your hands. On the other hand I just man up when smoking and say bring it on skeeters.
    Fyi a little vanilla extract rubbed on your pulse points will run off the skeeters without poising yourself.. hope you are enjoying the forum.

I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm, vanilla extract, I'll have to keep that in mind. Do you need the real, $$$, stuff or will imitation do?

I've got a Bug-A-Salt and a electric flyswatter shaped like a tennis racquet out back where I smoke.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

@Yakster said:
    From now on, getting a mouthful of mosquito repellant while trying to enjoy a cigar shall be known as Cruisering, pulling a Cruiser, or "I Cruisered myself." Enjoy the notoriety and wonder what we mean when we say someone Ricky'd, Robby'd, or Hobbes'd their cigar.

Great

• JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

@Hobbes86 said:

@Yakster said:
    From now on, getting a mouthful of mosquito repellant while trying to enjoy a cigar shall be known as Cruisering, pulling a Cruiser, or "I Cruisered myself." Enjoy the notoriety and wonder what we mean when we say someone Ricky'd, Robby'd, or Hobbes'd their cigar.

You forgot Franked and silvermoused!

And these

• TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    Hmm, vanilla extract, I'll have to keep that in mind. Do you need the real, $$$, stuff or will imitation do?

I've got a Bug-A-Salt and a electric flyswatter shaped like a tennis racquet out back where I smoke.

i have used both, both work, but i think the real stuff is better. rub it both sides of neck, inside of elbows back of knees and ankles

I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Cruiser5!

Hopefully you'll post pics of what you smoke in the "Whatcha smoking (this morning, this afternoon, tonight)" threads and maybe, if you dare, join us one night on the vherf (another thread).

A wine for or a humador or a baggie is fine! Do you! The other options that these guys recommended are easier though...

COTM is cool for when you want to try stuff out. I know what I like though and quit a while back.

Be a part of us!

Don't look ↑