Comments

• Options
    HawksHawks Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome

Nolite Oblivisci Peniculus Dentes

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome aboard, @HoosierDaddy .

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

welcome @HoosierDaddy

• Options
    OutdoorsSmoke_21191OutdoorsSmoke_21191 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @HoosierDaddy. Look forward to meeting you on the vHerf.

A good cigar and whiskey solve most problems.

• Options
    HoosierDaddyHoosierDaddy Posts: 2

Thank you all🙏

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome aboard @SgtDon2531. There’s all kinds of good information to be found here with just a little looking. We also do a zoom herf pretty much every night. There’s a thread with the info if you’re ever interested.

There’s also at least one Marine here that chewed the same mud. @First_Warrior

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome Don.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

Hello, Don. Welcome.

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

Semper Fi, Don. I served as a grunt in 1967 with the Walking Dead Bn of the 9th Marines. I was hit also and spent most of a year in the hospital. Bunch of good guys on this site. Glad to have another Jarhead.

• Options

Welcome, Don.
    Kerosene probably improved the flavor of some of the sticks sold back in the 60's.

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome new guys.

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options

Welcome, @SgtDon2531 . Glad to have you aboard.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always good to add another vet, welcome.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome Don

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options

Don, helluva intro! Welcome aboard. Searching forums is a great way to get some or most of your questions answered. Vherf is an excellent resource to meet everyone. Highly recommend. Enjoy 🤙🏼

• Options
    DonB5750DonB5750 Posts: 6

Newbie here from N.Carolina, smoked cigs for over 40 years until aortic aneurism, been quit since 2015, healthy so far. I'm a golfer, singer, choir member in church, grow heirloom tomatoes, former history teacher. Thought I'd try cigar (without inhale, of course) just to see what it's like and have something to have playing golf so I can't open my mouth and say cuss words.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome, Don.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

My first cigars arrived here and they're 1. Romeo y Julieta 1875 Gran Toro and 2. Macanudo Inspirado Orange Robusto . How did I do? I like slight flavor, but not infused. I'm a beginner, anything anyone wants to tell me, feel free. Thanks

• Options

Welcome DonB.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DonB5750 said:
    My first cigars arrived here and they're 1. Romeo y Julieta 1875 Gran Toro and 2. Macanudo Inspirado Orange Robusto . How did I do? I like slight flavor, but not infused. I'm a beginner, anything anyone wants to tell me, feel free. Thanks

Great beginner cigars.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    TRayBTRayB Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29

Welcome @DonB5750 ! I agree with Amos. Those are fine "big brand" cigars that are utterly reliable, and are staples of the major online retailers. I've been smoking for around two years, and if you progress from the occasional (say once a week) cigar to daily, or sometimes a few per day on the weekends, you should take some advice from various threads here (perhaps @Yakster will post some links :) ) and branch out into some more "boutique" brands, once you determine what flavors and countries of origin you prefer. The variety of producers and tastes can be a bit overwhelming at times, but the nice thing is, you can decide what you like, and also what fits your lifestyle and budget, and find cigars to fit both, without having to satisfy anyone but yourself. For the most part, people here don't care what you smoke, but that you are enjoying the hobby, and are happy in your choices. Best to you.

• Options
    Steve88Steve88 Posts: 1

Hi, my experience with cigars is limited to bachelors parties and the like. I might know a guy that inherited an unopened box of cigars bought in Havana around 1950. That guy is gonna smoke them the next time he has a gathering with his buddies and break every bit of etiquette out of ignorance. Would it be better if he were to pass them on to someone who would actually appreciate them for what they are? Is is even legal to trade cigars that were legally bought before any embargos? Does anyone recognize these as anything special?

• Options

@DonB5750 Welcome!
    @Steve88 smoke 'em. Enjoy 'em. Maybe or maybe not while playing five card stud, nothing wild, sky's the limit. Make it so. IYKYK

• Options

Welcome Don @DonB5750 and Steve @Steve88

• Options

Welcome, new guys! Cigars are for enjoyment. Smoke what you enjoy. Share your passion with others who partake.

• Options

Okay, I am showing my inner nerd here but there has to be more than one TNG fan on this forum. Nobody caught that^^?

• Options

Thanks guys, I'm not very good with Abreviations.....what is TNG? My next thought are what do you guys think of Macanudo and Oiva cigars. I'm planning now for a once or twice a week cigar at first. Maybe for golfing and sipping a Cuba Libra or a Medium Body Ale. What would you recommend for those? Thanks

• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30

Nah

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DonB5750 said:
    Thanks guys, I'm not very good with Abreviations.....what is TNG?

Thanks

Star Trek The Next Generation

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.