Home General Discussion
Options

THE NEWBIE WELCOMING THREAD

1231232233234235237»

Comments

• Options
    LittleBuddy50LittleBuddy50 Posts: 2

Hello. Jay here. I just bought my first Humidor. New to the cigar world. I did buy a nice box of cigars years ago. 1997 I went to a buddy's wedding in Honduras. On the way back I bought a nice box of cigars at the Duty Free Store. They weren't very expensive then and I really liked them. No humidor, didn't even know what they were. But being in South Mississippi on the coast, they stayed nice and moist just being in the box. I just bought a Wineador, a KINGCHII 8 liter humidor. Its small, I can't fit a box of cigars inside but I bought it because I can't get my house below 78 degrees in the summertime. I live in a hot dry area. This Wineador has a small plastic container for water built in to the bottom, under the wooden tray basket so its not in the way. I filled it up with distilled water after wiping down the inside walls of the humidor. It had a slight plasticky smell but not bad. I left door open for a few minutes and put a box of baking soda in it, but, I couldn't wait to get started seasoning it so I took out the baking soda, turned the thing on and set it to 72 degrees. I let it run for 2 days and watched it humidify while holding a solid 72 degrees. It stayed around 80% humidity and i emptied most of the water from the container but it wouldn't go under 78ish RH. I had to remove the little water container and I dropped in a 69% Boveda pack. It stayed around 76 but I added 4 or 5 cigars last night and now its a solid 73RH and 72 degrees. It just bumped up to 74 but I'm not worried. I like that its holding a solid temp. I put in a few cheap cigars and one medium priced cigar. 3 AF Curly heads. 1 JUST STICKS corona from Bevmo ($4). 1 Gran Habano Corojo #5 Pyramid. 1 Habanos Del Campo kinda cheap cigar. These aren't fancy cigars and I've only had 1 of the curly heads and I liked it a lot. Any reviews on any of the other ones?

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

welcome to the forum @LittleBuddy50
    Those cigars sound like the stuff I smoked when I was starting out, but would not smoke regularly today. The important thing is enjoying what you smoke, more so than anyone else's ratings of those sticks. The AF line of cigars is something you should further explore. The curlyheads, If I recall correctly are mixed short filler cigars created from leftovers from making their long filler cigars. So, If you like the curlyheads, it will stand to reason you'd enjoy plenty of other Arturo Fuente cigars.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

All the Fuentes are good sticks. Welcome to the zoo.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    OutdoorsSmoke_21191OutdoorsSmoke_21191 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @LittleBuddy50 AF Curly Head was one of, if not the first, ‘real’ cigars I smoked back in the late eighties 😜. Experiment with cigars, develop your palette and smoke what you enjoy. Others opinions are based on their palette and could or could not help with your personal taste. Either way, enjoy.

A good cigar and whiskey solve most problems.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @LittleBuddy50 Jay. If you can set your Winedor to 68 - 70 degrees that'll help prevent any mold, not sure if you can cool it that much from your ambient though.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    LittleBuddy50LittleBuddy50 Posts: 2

@Yakster said:
    Welcome @LittleBuddy50 Jay. If you can set your Wineador to 68 - 70 degrees that'll help prevent any mold, not sure if you can cool it that much from your ambient though.

Hi, I set the wineador temp to 72 and it holds it fine. My little gauge I tossed inside says the temp is at 70 and it doesn't move from that. Also my thermo inside says the RH is at 70. The wineador's digital read outs says its 72 degrees inside and RH is at 73, so its pretty accurate, seems as if the RH gets more accurate the more cigars I toss inside. Good times.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

It begins.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.