Home General Discussion

THE NEWBIE WELCOMING THREAD

Comments

• LittleBuddy50LittleBuddy50 Posts: 28 ✭✭

Hello. Jay here. I just bought my first Humidor. New to the cigar world. I did buy a nice box of cigars years ago. 1997 I went to a buddy's wedding in Honduras. On the way back I bought a nice box of cigars at the Duty Free Store. They weren't very expensive then and I really liked them. No humidor, didn't even know what they were. But being in South Mississippi on the coast, they stayed nice and moist just being in the box. I just bought a Wineador, a KINGCHII 8 liter humidor. Its small, I can't fit a box of cigars inside but I bought it because I can't get my house below 78 degrees in the summertime. I live in a hot dry area. This Wineador has a small plastic container for water built in to the bottom, under the wooden tray basket so its not in the way. I filled it up with distilled water after wiping down the inside walls of the humidor. It had a slight plasticky smell but not bad. I left door open for a few minutes and put a box of baking soda in it, but, I couldn't wait to get started seasoning it so I took out the baking soda, turned the thing on and set it to 72 degrees. I let it run for 2 days and watched it humidify while holding a solid 72 degrees. It stayed around 80% humidity and i emptied most of the water from the container but it wouldn't go under 78ish RH. I had to remove the little water container and I dropped in a 69% Boveda pack. It stayed around 76 but I added 4 or 5 cigars last night and now its a solid 73RH and 72 degrees. It just bumped up to 74 but I'm not worried. I like that its holding a solid temp. I put in a few cheap cigars and one medium priced cigar. 3 AF Curly heads. 1 JUST STICKS corona from Bevmo ($4). 1 Gran Habano Corojo #5 Pyramid. 1 Habanos Del Campo kinda cheap cigar. These aren't fancy cigars and I've only had 1 of the curly heads and I liked it a lot. Any reviews on any of the other ones?

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

welcome to the forum @LittleBuddy50
    Those cigars sound like the stuff I smoked when I was starting out, but would not smoke regularly today. The important thing is enjoying what you smoke, more so than anyone else's ratings of those sticks. The AF line of cigars is something you should further explore. The curlyheads, If I recall correctly are mixed short filler cigars created from leftovers from making their long filler cigars. So, If you like the curlyheads, it will stand to reason you'd enjoy plenty of other Arturo Fuente cigars.

• d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

All the Fuentes are good sticks. Welcome to the zoo.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• OutdoorsSmoke_21191OutdoorsSmoke_21191 Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @LittleBuddy50 AF Curly Head was one of, if not the first, ‘real’ cigars I smoked back in the late eighties 😜. Experiment with cigars, develop your palette and smoke what you enjoy. Others opinions are based on their palette and could or could not help with your personal taste. Either way, enjoy.

A good cigar and whiskey solve most problems.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 27,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @LittleBuddy50 Jay. If you can set your Winedor to 68 - 70 degrees that'll help prevent any mold, not sure if you can cool it that much from your ambient though.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • LittleBuddy50LittleBuddy50 Posts: 28 ✭✭

@Yakster said:
    Welcome @LittleBuddy50 Jay. If you can set your Wineador to 68 - 70 degrees that'll help prevent any mold, not sure if you can cool it that much from your ambient though.

Hi, I set the wineador temp to 72 and it holds it fine. My little gauge I tossed inside says the temp is at 70 and it doesn't move from that. Also my thermo inside says the RH is at 70. The wineador's digital read outs says its 72 degrees inside and RH is at 73, so its pretty accurate, seems as if the RH gets more accurate the more cigars I toss inside. Good times.

It begins.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome aboard, Anthony.

Trapped in the People's Communist Republic of Massachusetts.

Welcome, Anthony!

• genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome Anthony.

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cigarandpipesmoker said:
    I'm Anthony...im the cigar buyer for a 20 store chain, and stock my store humidor (and sell whisky and tequila). I've been smoking cigars and pipes for 50 plus years. I'm here to learn and discuss, sharing my knowledge, if I can add to a discussion.

My motto is "be kind".

Welcome Anthony. 20 store chain? Are we talking liquor stores that have nice walk-in humidors? I think those humidors are the best thing to happen to liquor stores around where I live.

Welcome Anthony @Cigarandpipesmoker

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum, Bill @Ksqsmoking . You're on the right track.

Trapped in the People's Communist Republic of Massachusetts.

• KsqsmokingKsqsmoking Posts: 399 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rdp77 said:

@Ksqsmoking said:

Hi, I’m Bill from Kennett Square, PA, the mushroom capital of the world! I’ve been smoking cigars for a number of years now, but my interest in the hobby has really peaked recently. I just purchased a used and abused Daniel Marshall humidor and restored it. Now I’m ready to begin filling it. I just ordered a box of 20 Sancho Panza Double Maduros that should be delivered today. I like a stronger cigar. I upgraded my humidor with a Boveda holder and a digi Xicar hygrometer. It’s holding steady at 69. I’m a cheapy and look for 90 plus rated below $10. There’s a lot out there as you know from AJF, Oliva, and even the Padron maduros which I enjoy. I’m looking forward to interacting with all of you.

Welcome aboard Bill. Good looking box. Hope it holds up well for you.
    As far as how you search for cigars, if you limit yourself to those specifications you’re going to miss out on the really good cigars. Most boutique cigars never get rated by the big sites. Plus, the big sites that put out the ratings are influenced in different ways. Basically they’re full of shít.
    Pay attention to the “what are you smoking threads” and you’re liable to find a lot of really good cigars you’ve never heard of and are at really good prices.

Great insight @Rdp77 ! I’ll follow your advice.

The obstacle is the way.

Welcome, Bill.

@Yakster said:
    Welcome, Bill.

Thanks! @Yakster

The obstacle is the way.

Welcome @Ksqsmoking Bill. @Rdp77 is 100% correct. Follow all of the what are you smoking threads (morning/afternoon/evening). There’s a lot to learn from these folks. Vherf is another excellent resource to meet people and discuss cigars etc.

• HawksHawks Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome, Bill. Nice to have you.

Nolite Oblivisci Peniculus Dentes

Welcome aboard, Bill.

Rookie question: how do I change my profile picture? I’m generally more tech savvy than this.

The obstacle is the way.

Hit your handle, then upper RH corner wheel, then same upper RH corner edit profile, scroll down to avatar, change/upload.

@OutdoorsSmoke_21191 said:
    Hit your handle, then upper RH corner wheel, then same upper RH corner edit profile, scroll down to avatar, change/upload.

Thank you friend @OutdoorsSmoke_21191

The obstacle is the way.

• Al_K_LloydAl_K_Lloyd Posts: 48 ✭✭

N00b checking in
    I’m fairly new to the leaf.
    So far Oliva serie G maduro is rocking my world.

There is nothing more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge.

Hunter S. Thompson

@Al_K_Lloyd said:
    N00b checking in
    I’m fairly new to the leaf.
    So far Oliva serie G maduro is rocking my world.

Welcome! You’ve joined a great forum. I enjoy that cigar as well. It was my first Olivia.

The obstacle is the way.

• Al_K_LloydAl_K_Lloyd Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited July 23

I tried this, but am on an iphone. No corner wheel; no Avatar option. Is there a trick to navigating the forum?

I am finding the forum extremely hard to navigate. I cannot even find the main page or find the clicky for “my posts.” Any advice appreciated.

There is nothing more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge.

Hunter S. Thompson

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23

@Al_K_Lloyd said:

I tried this, but am on an iphone. No corner wheel; no Avatar option. Is there a trick to navigating the forum?

I am finding the forum extremely hard to navigate. I cannot even find the main page or find the clicky for “my posts.” Any advice appreciated.

I am also on an iPhone. Once you click on your avatar go up to those three little lines on the right. They kinda cover up what you have to press to edit your profile