Options

Mystery Stick Game

Comments

• Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    Sandman1am:
    Hayblet:
    Stick B
    I started this cigar thinking off the bat I knew what it was.. and I was dead wrong this was by far one of the best mild/medium cigars I have EVER had, so smooth creamy and yet complex.. um I kinda got called by my sister and ended up blathering to her through 95% of the cigar.. so I really didn't have much for notes on this one.. throwing a guess into the wind I'll say Padron 1964 Box-Pressed!
    Stick B def. not a Padron 1964 (I'm keeping those for myself hahahaha). Very interesting guess. If you get a chance def. try one though. I would love to send everyone on this forum one but I can't afford to. So for the sake of not wanting anyone to feel left out I can not send them to you guys. For stick B I sent you one of my favorites that I hadn't had in some time. It was the Rocky Patel 1990 vintage. How was the burn on this stick? The last one I had was one of the best burning sticks I have ever smoked.
    Awesome burn man, I reall enjoyed it... oddly enough before I went to smoke B I had thought it was a Nuca Libre I just remember mine being a bit milder *shrug* after the monsoon stops I'll try and sneak in Stick C after dinner ^ ^
  • Options
    still pouring off n on and I really don't want to be on the stoop getting hit by rain so I will get to Stick c tomorrow
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    Hayblet:
    Sandman1am:
    Hayblet:
    Stick B
    I started this cigar thinking off the bat I knew what it was.. and I was dead wrong this was by far one of the best mild/medium cigars I have EVER had, so smooth creamy and yet complex.. um I kinda got called by my sister and ended up blathering to her through 95% of the cigar.. so I really didn't have much for notes on this one.. throwing a guess into the wind I'll say Padron 1964 Box-Pressed!
    Stick B def. not a Padron 1964 (I'm keeping those for myself hahahaha). Very interesting guess. If you get a chance def. try one though. I would love to send everyone on this forum one but I can't afford to. So for the sake of not wanting anyone to feel left out I can not send them to you guys. For stick B I sent you one of my favorites that I hadn't had in some time. It was the Rocky Patel 1990 vintage. How was the burn on this stick? The last one I had was one of the best burning sticks I have ever smoked.
    Awesome burn man, I reall enjoyed it... oddly enough before I went to smoke B I had thought it was a Nuca Libre I just remember mine being a bit milder *shrug* after the monsoon stops I'll try and sneak in Stick C after dinner ^ ^
    You should have posted it as a guess, even if it was a little later. It took me a bit to get into this game because I felt just like you did, I didn't have the experience for it. This game is a great way to help refine your palet and learn. So if you are new don't be afraid to play it's a great learning tool and no one is going to thrash you for a wrong guess.

I'm glad that the stick was a good burner.
  • Options
    Stick C... in 3 words no 4.. HOLY #@(%& **** AWESOME

Start time: 750ishpm finish time: bout 2-3 mins ago... This is how all cigars should be damn near perfect construction flawless burn (considering I only have a Bic atm tho that cure is inbound) just wow nearly half an hour into it I wasn't even 1/3 of the way, and I consider myself a somewhat fast smoker since I sit on my front steps alone and unless I bring out my DS or MP3 player I get bored really easily, after that the flavor/intensity really kicked into 5th gear.. I have NEVER had my @ss kicked by a cigar but, this one kicked me up one side of my complex and down the other, and it paired so nicely with the last of my Johnnie Walker Black. I am super floored by this cigar and wouldn't even begin to know how to describe all the nuances that came with this flavor packed Muhammad Ali punch to the head of a Cigar. As to my guess and the end of my rant/rambling I had thought it would be a Man O War Ruination..but I know that's dead wrong so I'm gonna guess Gurkha Titan even tho I am almost sure that is wrong too 2nd guess (as this was my other thought) CAO MX2

Antonio (as I've heard you just LOVE being called that) Thank you fellow BOTL for this awesome experience and look forward to a "present" in the near future when I cash in my vacation pay
    edit #2: I smoked this tasty stogie till I was burning my fingertips it was that good.
  • Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    Hayblet:

Start time: 750ishpm finish time: bout 2-3 mins ago... This is how all cigars should be damn near perfect construction flawless burn (considering I only have a Bic atm tho that cure is inbound) just wow nearly half an hour into it I wasn't even 1/3 of the way, and I consider myself a somewhat fast smoker since I sit on my front steps alone and unless I bring out my DS or MP3 player I get bored really easily, after that the flavor/intensity really kicked into 5th gear.. I have NEVER had my @ss kicked by a cigar but, this one kicked me up one side of my complex and down the other, and it paired so nicely with the last of my Johnnie Walker Black. I am super floored by this cigar and wouldn't even begin to know how to describe all the nuances that came with this flavor packed Muhammad Ali punch to the head of a Cigar. As to my guess and the end of my rant/rambling I had thought it would be a Man O War Ruination..but I know that's dead wrong so I'm gonna guess Gurkha Titan even tho I am almost sure that is wrong too 2nd guess (as this was my other thought) CAO MX2

Antonio (as I've heard you just LOVE being called that) Thank you fellow BOTL for this awesome experience and look forward to a "present" in the near future when I cash in my vacation pay
    edit #2: I smoked this tasty stogie till I was burning my fingertips it was that good.

ROTFLMAO Good Review No Matter if you are right or wrong! LOL Thanks for Playing !
  • Options
    Hayblet:

Wow lol I'm glad you really liked it. It's one of my favorites and I usually nub it. I told you to have a good meal before it because it is def. full bodied IMO. No need to send gifts the fact that you enjoyed the sticks is enough for me. Stick C was the CAO Brazilia Gol. If you have never tried it I recommend this stick. Thanks for playing and let me know how you like the other sticks.
  • Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    Love the CAO Brazillia! Got a couple in my Humi mmmmmm may have to have one later!
  • Options
    ok well 0 out of 3 ain't bad... >.> so who want's to play next?
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    That Brazillia is really tasty. One of the first times I did the mystery stick game someone sent me one of those and I also guessed MoW Ruination. Both are pretty fabulous and really pack a punch!
  • Options
    TatuajeVI:
    That Brazillia is really tasty. One of the first times I did the mystery stick game someone sent me one of those and I also guessed MoW Ruination. Both are pretty fabulous and really pack a punch!
    +1 love um both
  • Options
    Hayblet:
    ok well 0 out of 3 ain't bad... >.> so who want's to play next?
    You did well and close guess on the last stick. It's a learning experience.
  • Options
    Still looking for a victim... I mean player!
  • Options
    don't let this game die
  • Options
    Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    Hayblet:
    don't let this game die
    Ok, I'll bite. I think by now I may have enough experience to give this thing a try :^)
  • Options
    Duder2:
    Hayblet:
    don't let this game die
    Ok, I'll bite. I think by now I may have enough experience to give this thing a try :^)
    alright send me a PM with your info and likes and I'll see what I can send you ^ ^
  • Options
    Hayblet:
    Duder2:
    Hayblet:
    don't let this game die
    alright send me a PM with your info and likes and I'll see what I can send you ^ ^
    Pm sent :^)
  • Options
    Got the sticks in today along with a few bonus sticks (thanks Hayblet!). I'll get started on them tomorrow.
  • Options
    Ok, I've burned stick A and B over the last few nights and it's the first time I've taken notes, although I have been wanting to do that when trying new things from the start. I've smoked a lot of different stuff, but am still a relative newb, so I feel pretty self conscious about this but here goes.

Stick A. This was a robusto, seemed well constructed, peanut butter brown and smooth. Punched with the large side of my Bugatti lighter, good medium draw, not tight or loose. Pre light draw was interesting, sort of cookie doughish. Toasted and lit with Bugatti, first impression is spicy, especially through the nose. It stayed very spicy through the first inch or so, then the spice mellowed a bit and would come back every now and then. It was very dry on the pallet. I got mostly pepper and spice out of this one with a bit of earth and maybe a little nutty after the first inch. About a half hour in it got this weird metallic taste that really threw me off and persisted till I put it down at about the 50 minute point. I'm fairly sure this is nothing I've ever had and would be surprised if I had even had anything else by the blender that made this cigar. I have absolutely no idea what to guess it is except that I'm pretty sure it was a habano wrapper. Just judging by something I have read on the forum here I'm gonna guess ITC Super Fuerte natural.

Stick B. Also a robusto, pretty much the same peanut butter brown as stick A, also looks like a habano wrapper. When I punched this one the cap cracked pretty bad, but it smoked ok anyway. This one was also dry on the palate and started pretty spicy. Great smoke production and even burn. 20 minutes in all I can really make of the flavors is earth and pepper. a bit later the pepper has mellowed and I'm getting some woody and earthy flavors, not bad, but not really my cup of tea. 35 minutes in or so it's mostly earth, peat maybe? about 40 minutes in the wrapper cracked completely length wise down the stick and I had to put it down at around 45 minutes. I'm not sure about this one either, but my guess is Camacho 1962. I've only had one of those before and it was quite a while ago, but it's the only thing that came to mind with this stick. Hopefully I can get to stick C tomorrow...I'm really looking forward to seeing what A and B were!
  • Options
    sorry to hear about stick B =/ hope that was just bad luck Stick A is one of my faves it was a Don Pepin Tabacos Baez, Stick B was a CAO Gold with couple months rest so I'm really sad to hear that happened hopefully nothing bad will happen with C as that is another one I like quite a bit.
  • Options
    Hayblet:
    sorry to hear about stick B =/ hope that was just bad luck Stick A is one of my faves it was a Don Pepin Tabacos Baez, Stick B was a CAO Gold with couple months rest so I'm really sad to hear that happened hopefully nothing bad will happen with C as that is another one I like quite a bit.
    Wow, I was way off! I was actually thinking stick A might be a DPG, but it didn't seem to have the core Pepin essence that I've noticed in his other blends I've tried. I've had some CAO gold 2002's before out of the aging room at Ccom, but they were nothing like stick B. It was an interesting smoke, probably coulda used more rest to stabilize after being shipped.
  • Options
    Ok, so I smoked stick C today. This one was also a robusto, but a 5.5" one. I punched it the same as the first 2 sticks, good draw. My first impressions of this stick was a bit of spice and pepper and a little nutty. 10 minutes or so in the spice picked up a little and a mildly sweet nutty flavor came in. after 20 minutes or so the spice mellowed and the rest of the stick was a nice cedary, slightly sweet nutty tobacco flavor. I don't think I've had this one before, but it was pretty enjoyable and had no construction issues. To guess what it is I could narrow it down a bit due to it's size. I'm thinking it might be a Bahia Trinidad. Thanks for the palate exercise Spencer, it was fun and in a while I hope to get in on this game again!
  • Options
    Time for the next contestant, step on up and challenge your pallet! Who's it gonna be?
  • Options
    Duder2:
    Ok, so I smoked stick C today. This one was also a robusto, but a 5.5" one. I punched it the same as the first 2 sticks, good draw. My first impressions of this stick was a bit of spice and pepper and a little nutty. 10 minutes or so in the spice picked up a little and a mildly sweet nutty flavor came in. after 20 minutes or so the spice mellowed and the rest of the stick was a nice cedary, slightly sweet nutty tobacco flavor. I don't think I've had this one before, but it was pretty enjoyable and had no construction issues. To guess what it is I could narrow it down a bit due to it's size. I'm thinking it might be a Bahia Trinidad. Thanks for the palate exercise Spencer, it was fun and in a while I hope to get in on this game again!
    Yea Stick C is another one I need to get more of tho it wasn't the Bahia Trinidad even tho it is a good stick, it was the A. Fernandez Signature series I do like this game and will most likely revisit it again. Thanks for playing man!
  • Options
    Hayblet:
    Duder2:
    Yea Stick C is another one I need to get more of tho it wasn't the Bahia Trinidad even tho it is a good stick, it was the A. Fernandez Signature series I do like this game and will most likely revisit it again. Thanks for playing man!
    I'm not surprised because I like AJ's stuff. I've had the sig before, but all of mine were way too young and got real acrid real soon. I have been letting the rest sit in the bottom of the humi for a while. I guess 0 for 3 is about what I expected for my first try... Thanks again for the sticks!

Ok, so who's next?
  • Options
    Bump. Let's keep this thing going people!
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Duder2:
    Bump. Let's keep this thing going people!
    Ya! Duder needs a mystery mooch!
  • Options
    Wow, no one wants to be my mystery mooch? I guarantee it'll be worth your while, I have LOTS of overflow...
  • Options
    GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Posts: 474
    I'm really bad at identifying stick. Especially since many big brands I've never tried, Or else I'd be all over this oppurtunity :-P
  • Options
    GadwinDuil:
    I'm really bad at identifying stick. Especially since many big brands I've never tried, Or else I'd be all over this oppurtunity :-P
    I'm no good at it yet either, but it's fun to try! I found it to be an interesting exercise for my pallet and hope to do it again before too long, if someone will take the sticks I'm trying to pass anyway... If you change your mind shoot me a PM and I'll hook it up!
  • Options
    rossdavey2rossdavey2 Posts: 979
    I will play kind sir. PM sent.