Home Ratings & Reviews

Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet

This is my first attempt at a review, so bear with me...

Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet Robusto, rested 3 weeks after delivery. Opens with strong cream with an ephemeral backdrop of earthiness and a hint of that rich tobacco-y taste that really can't be described as anything else.

I only recently began to retro-nasal cigars; oddly enough, it's a mistake to do so with this one. Nose aroma is completely pepper and spice; these don't present themselves in the mouth at all if you just puff - I abandoned retro-nasaling for this stick after the first inch because of this.

Halfway into the first third, the cream dissappears, and the earthiness becomes more prominent. A mild black-pepper note appears at this point, but remains int he background. In the second third, a flavor of  damp, slightly musty wood develops quickly and plateaus at a similar intensity to the general earthiness throughout the rest of that third.

The final third sees all of these flavors fade relatively quickly to be briefly replaced by a pleasant mildly-syrupy nuttiness. The last half of the last third see the development of a tar flavor that necessitates an end (what I often think of as the "cigar's over" flavor). Nevertheless, for the price, an excellent stick. Needs a bit of a rest, though. If you tend to heavily retro-nasal, you may feel this is a one-dimension stick upon trying it.

Comments

• smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    Wow I just finished smoking one of these like 5 min. ago and i completely agree. Im not at the point where I can really distinguish different flavors, but I can say that if tasted really good. and The flavor did change about every third. Ill also add that I had to do some minor corrective lights, but ill blame the wind for that. The construction was flawless, and the draw was also great with just a tad of resistance.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    The only one of these that I really enjoyed was aged for months. I didn't like them when I first got them but I gave one to a friend and he liked it.
  • JFJF Posts: 54

At the price right now it seemed like a no-brainer. Split a flight sampler with a friend, also got a Culebra just to have one - gonna age it awhile, I think, save it for a special occasion. I had burn issues as well, but I'd chalked it up to using a a few barbecue matches to toast it rather than my torch lighter. It wasn't so bad as to interfere with the enjoyment of the stick, however. i also forgot to mention that it went out once, but that's likely largely due to me smoking very slowly - that robusto lasted me somewhere between an hour and an hour and a half.
    Yeah I had the magnum...took me about the same time.
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    I agree that it is unlike any other. I just finished one (my second this week) and I am a big fan of these.
  • I just ordered a box of these. I tried the sampler ccom offered a few months ago and really liked them. I tried the conny wrappers and they were too mild, but these were great! I'm hoping to replace the ccom cuban labels as my casual smoke. Not a big fan of those.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I'm also a big fan of the Cuban Cabs. I have some of the Robustos and some Magnums. I split a big sampler of them with a buddy a while back and they have become a must have for me. Once I get down to one of two left I will be placing an order!!
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    i really enjoyed these ...
    gmill880:
    ... thanks for that really insightful post there gmill
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    smbrink:
    gmill880:
    Gmill posts things...
    smbrink:
    gmill880:

Sometimes I post things and us old timers on the forum know what I mean.....When you've been on here awhile smbrink you will to ...untill then I'll be glad to PM you with additional info as and when you require it ..... ;)
  • Dude LoveDude Love Posts: 315
    I've got 3 toros left that I'm gonna let rest a couple more months. The first two I had were nothing to write home about.
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    There are not many cigars I truly smoke everyday, but the Cuban Cabinet No. 4 Corona a staple. Everyday, I have a minimum of one of these. I can't live without them. Def. in my top 5 right now.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    That must be saying something Alex, because I remember the high praise you gave this cigar when it came out...to still be in love with it. I really like this cigar myself, though I haven't had nearly as many as I should've by now.
    Should be a more relaxed day at work tommorow think I'll burn one then. The corona huh, need to pick some of those up ...
    Ya cigars usually go in and out of my top five like a revolving door at Macys. I just always have a different flavor of the month. However, Man O War and Sol Cubano have had an impressive run at the top. I am also digging the verdadero, Acid Opulence 3, CCOM Brazilian Label, Hoyo Tradiccion, Tatuaje Miami, Padilla Miami, Oliva V, Man O War Ruination and Vegas Cubanas by Pepin.
    Alex Svenson:
    Ya cigars usually go in and out of my top five like a revolving door at Macys. I just always have a different flavor of the month. However, Man O War and Sol Cubano have had an impressive run at the top. I am also digging the verdadero, Acid Opulence 3, CCOM Brazilian Label, Hoyo Tradiccion, Tatuaje Miami, Padilla Miami, Oliva V, Man O War Ruination and Vegas Cubanas by Pepin.

I agree on the Verdadero whole-heartedly. I've never had a raisin flavor come through so strongly as with the Verdadero, ever (mind you, I've been a 1/week smoker for a year, not a whole lot of experience, and I've only had one of these). I just wish they made them with a more complex, robust flavor. Some earth would go really well with that raisin. The one I had, unfortunately, had a major plug, such that I ended up cutting a half-inch off the stick and re-lighting. The rest are definately on my list.
    You might like this next batch. Put in for a purchase of a few sicks in about 100 days. The new batch I think is a little fuller than the first.
    Alex Svenson:
    You might like this next batch. Put in for a purchase of a few sicks in about 100 days. The new batch I think is a little fuller than the first.

Good to know; I think I will.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:

I know how the revolving door theory works! Man o War, Sol Cubano and Gurkha Double Maduro are always in my top teir. Really looking forward to the Ruination though. When will you get them in and are they better with some time on them? I'm assuming not if you were smoking and loving them at the factory...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    Ya cigars usually go in and out of my top five like a revolving door at Macys...
    top fives come and go... what would be on cigar.com's ALL TIME top five seller?
    kuzi16:
    Alex Svenson:
    Ya cigars usually go in and out of my top five like a revolving door at Macys...
    top fives come and go... what would be on cigar.com's ALL TIME top five seller?

All time best sellers? Like a hall of fame of sorts? That is a good question. Kind of like, as cigars move in and out of the top 5, which ones had the longest time in. Ill tell you, late 1990's I love the Punch Rare Corojo. Original run of VSG was awsome too. Ohhh and Partagas Black when they first came out were kick ass. 5 Vegas Limitada 2006 is in there. Some other favorites that I am not smoking much anymore either because my taste changed, the blend changed or it was a one time run are:

La Aurora 1495 Cameroon 1994
    Oliva Master Blends I
    Oliva O Maduro (original cloth band and toilet seat box)
    CAO Anniversaire Maduro (original release made in costa rica)
    Camacho 1962 Pre-Embargo
  • Just got my box in today and I decided to smoke one because I haven't had them in a while. I must say that, even fresh this cigar is what a great cigar is supposed to taste like. I love these sticks!
  • ug danug dan Posts: 375
    Sorry to bring back an old post, but I just got done smoking one of these and I loved it. The flavors were great. I agree with the nose exhaling, but once I stopped trying that it was awesome. The only question I had was that the draw was really loose like not pulling through anything at all, but it produced a ton of smoke, it was great but different from others I've had. What would produce that effect?
  • pugman11pugman11 Posts: 3
    we all have different tastes for different cigars this was not my favorite and i have 9 left over send me an eamil with your address an i"ll mail em to ya-just asking you might remember me down the road
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    pugman11:
    we all have different tastes for different cigars this was not my favorite and i have 9 left over send me an eamil with your address an i"ll mail em to ya-just asking you might remember me down the road
    PM sent to you sir.
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    you know what I love about alex's avatar is that I know its a button down shirt he is wearing, but if I look quickly, it looks like its a silk scarf and jacket. Classy Alex
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Had my first one of these tonight, and wanted to drop a line to thank every BOTL who has recommended these to me. Awesome, awesome and AWESOME! These just became an instant staple in the humidor, and possibly even my go-to stick for the foreseeable future. Best stick I have had in quite a while, and the price point is just the icing on the cake!!! Recommendations that lead to discovering winners like this are one of the best parts of this community! :-D
  • babsdpubabsdpu Posts: 143
    The Sniper:
    Had my first one of these tonight, and wanted to drop a line to thank every BOTL who has recommended these to me. Awesome, awesome and AWESOME! These just became an instant staple in the humidor, and possibly even my go-to stick for the foreseeable future. Best stick I have had in quite a while, and the price point is just the icing on the cake!!! Recommendations that lead to discovering winners like this are one of the best parts of this community! :-D
    I'll back that up--had my first SCCC over the weekend--LOVED it!! Must get more of these!!!
    Most under rated cigar IMHO