Home Cigar 101

Good use of Cigar bands?

GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Posts: 474
I recently came upon an old old cigar box my great great grandfather used a very long time ago (now it holds old coins :-/ ) and was really amazed by the fact that what he used to do was take the bands and labels off of the cigars he'd smoke and would stick them onto his cigar box! It's really interesting glancing around at all the different labels. Almost all of them I've never heard of, but you can pretty much tell what his favorites were. He has lots of labels for "Manilla Cigar" and a ton that are a small circle with green and gold and only say "Perfectos" across the middle.

Anyway, the reason I posted this is I was curious if anyone else has ever done anything like this? I recently acquired a little desktop ccom humi and I think it'd be really neat to cover it with labels I've smoked! What do you guys think? Also, anyone have any ideas on what I should use to get them to stick without becoming pasty/odorous?

I'll try taking/posting some pictures of the small decorated box tomorrow, that was my poor description may make more sense!

imageimage Couple quick pictures I took with my cellphone.

Comments

• ljlljl Posts: 819
    I have been putting them on the backsplash of my workbench in the garage. I sometimes regret this since when I have a dirty project (like sharpening the mower blades) going I have to cover them. I suggest searching bands in the search box. I saw another post where someone was making some shadow boxes full complete with matting and it looked super cool. Since then I have been picking up some frames at the local resale shop for $1 each and I'm planning to put some behind glass. Whatever you do; I agree that these are like little pieces of art and make a great collage when stacked together.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    This is a tray my wife and I put together using old bands.

• betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Okay, I too have been searching for something to do with my bands. I just realized that it would be really super-sick to cover my laptop in them. Any suggestions as to how?
  • GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Posts: 474
    laker1963:
    That's a pretty sweet tray! What'd you use to stick them on there? Did you just tape them or what?
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    GadwinDuil:
    laker1963:
    That's a pretty sweet tray! What'd you use to stick them on there? Did you just tape them or what?
    The wife used white glue to hold them down and then I flooded the bottom of the tray with water based clear coat. Several coats to the sides and viola!
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    betasynn:
    Okay, I too have been searching for something to do with my bands. I just realized that it would be really super-sick to cover my laptop in them. Any suggestions as to how?
    Double sided permanent scotch tape works well. I've actually been sticking mine in a little moleskin journal with notes on each so I knew if I wanted to smoke another one
    laker1963:
    GadwinDuil:
    laker1963:
    The wife used white glue to hold them down and then I flooded the bottom of the tray with water based clear coat. Several coats to the sides and viola!
    That's definitely a snazzy and attractive looking tray. I think I'm going to end up stealing your idea and just use either glue or double-stick tape on the back of the bands and decorate the top of my little 30 ct. humi with them. When I've got it covered I'm so stealing your clear coat idea because that just makes it shine!
    cholmes8310:
    betasynn:
    Double sided permanent scotch tape works well. I've actually been sticking mine in a little moleskin journal with notes on each so I knew if I wanted to smoke another one
    I have a little spreadsheet going on my comp where I have the brand, type and size of cigars I've smoked listed and my own little notes and reviews of each of them, so I can remember exactly what I liked and disliked about different 'gars. Your journal sounds really nifty though! Get enough stuff in there and you can leave it on the coffee table as a little "kill-time read" :-P
  • aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    I am keeping mine in a bag right now i got from a local b&m but I would like to do something with them someday. I am not the artsy type lol if you will. I just don't know what I am going to do with them.
  • gdsim1gdsim1 Posts: 213
    Ive implemented an idea I saw in a B&M while I was travelling... picked up a clear vase, and toss the cigar bands in. Ends up being a colorful little conversation piece. Will try to remember to post a ic tomorrow.

gdsim1:
    Ive implemented an idea I saw in a B&M while I was travelling... picked up a clear vase, and toss the cigar bands in. Ends up being a colorful little conversation piece. Will try to remember to post a ic tomorrow.

I'd be interested to see that. Curious how that'd look.
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Currently, I have pictures of my cigar-banded laptop up on my site if you want to see what I did.
  • DNCDNC Posts: 4
    That is a handsome box and a great story. I plan to cover the top of a table and use it in my home.
  • The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    Table top is my plan as well
  • bocardsbocards Posts: 32
    Never really thought of that...I ve been just throwing mine away ! Ill have to start daving them ! This is an awesome idea !