Home Non Cigar Related

It's summer. We need a BBQ thread!

JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
Ahhhh, our first really nice weekend is here. We're expecting 80 degree weather this weekend, which is downright hot for my area of the San Francisco Bay (we're usually in the upper 60's low 70's year round). Although our friend Robbyras lives just about a half hour east of me and enjoys true summer temps like the 90's. Gotta love our micro-climates!

Anyway, I'm a BIG low and slow BBQ fan and I'm stoked to be smoking my first ribs of the season!

I'll be smoking 4 racks of trimmed spare ribs but I haven't decided on sides just yet . Currently a big fan of the Alton Brown Rub Ratio of 8-3-1+1;

8 parts light or dark brown sugar
3 parts kosher salt
1 part chili powder
and 1 part Other Stuff (Other Stuff can be anything you want, mixed however you want, so long as it adds up to 1 part. I usually favor smoked jalapeno powder, cayenne, black pepper, and onion salt, smoked paprika and thyme.

While my babies are gettin all tender and delicious I'll be sitting out with a drink in one had and a stick in the other. I think maybe some Nicaraguan Rum and a Joya Antono Gran Consul.

Comments

• docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Going to a Pig Pickin' tonight. Best part about summer time in the south.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KC Masterpiece ****. And if I wanna go somewhere I go to one of the 100 places in KC that will kick your BBQ right in the nutz. We BBQ everyday I am home and it is nice out. I have already gone through 3 propane tanks this year.
  • minibeezyminibeezy Posts: 257
    Nice. I'm doing a tri tip tonight. Not low and slow, but I love me my tri tip!

Just curious, but what set up do you use for your BBQ? I have a cheap smoker with side firebox, but I'm having a tough time finding wood to use, and the firebox is so shallow that the ash from charcoal kills the air flow after about 3 hours of cooking. Everything here on the coast is damp and puts out waaaaay too much smoke and not enough heat. I butchered a brisket last year trying to BBQ.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Tri tip.... I was just about to post about that! Seems californians take their tri tip pretty seriously...I know I do. I use a kenmore 4 burner grill. It's large enough that when I want to add smoke I can use one side for meat and the other for soaked wood wrapped in foil with holes poked in it. It may be ghetto by Kansas city standards but it works really well. I also soak the wood chips in Evan Williams whiskey overnight. But normally I just rub it with minced garlic, thyme, a little brown sugar and salt then finish it up with sweet baby rays sauce.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    great thread, I would love some good bbq recipes.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    anyone have a recipe for a great bbq sauce that is hot and spicy?
  • minibeezyminibeezy Posts: 257
    phobicsquirrel:

+1. When I lived in Carson City, I was introduced to Carson City BBQ sauce. They won the Reno rib cookoff a couple times (I think). We tried a bottle of the regular and the spicy and have never looked back.

I would like to try a homemade sauce though.
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    Im just gonna throw this out there, living in carbondale, IL and all... Seventeenth Street Barbeque. thats all Im gonna say. google it, thank me later
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    This will be a regional war before it is over. Down here in the deep south BBQ is staple food. There is a joint on every corner and most are excellent. Just saying!
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    You can't beat Memphis BBQ, I don't care what anyone from NC, KC, St Louis, or Texas says. There is a reason the world championship BBQ competitiion is held in Memphis. Rendevous, Central, Interstate, Neely's, Tom's, Leonard's, Marlowe's, and the list goes on and on and on. Memphis Dry Rub BBQ is king.
    fla-gypsy:
    This will be a regional war before it is over. Down here in the deep south BBQ is staple food. There is a joint on every corner and most are excellent. Just saying!
    yep. I'm trying to start it. See above post. haha
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    cholmes8310:
    fla-gypsy:
    Noted and unfortunately you are wrong! carolina style BBQ is King!
  • gdsim1gdsim1 Posts: 213
    Thats what I thought while I was stationed down there, but I gotta say my man jsnake has the right of it - Kansas City BBQ CANNOT BE BEATEN!!! I will put Arthur Bryant or Gates BBQ up against anyone, anywhere, anytime!

• cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    I don't know if they sell it in your area, but Stubbs bbq sauce is da shiznit!
    fla-gypsy:
    cholmes8310:
    fla-gypsy:
    Memphis bbq is pretty good, California is good too, but nothing beats a Texas smoked briskit from a Texas grown cow. KC is good for steaks, and for driving through ... Looks like IT'S ON!!!
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    It is on!!! But how do you bomb BBQ? Hell we've bombed everything else on this board!
    cabinetmaker:
    fla-gypsy:
    cholmes8310:
    fla-gypsy:
    Memphis bbq is pretty good, California is good too, but nothing beats a Texas smoked briskit from a Texas grown cow. KC is good for steaks, and for driving through ... Looks like IT'S ON!!!
    Beef is not BBQ. Pork is king in BBQ. If it ain't pork, it ain't BBQ. The Swine is Fine!

And I'll put up Rendevous ribs against anyone in the country. Well, those or Dreamland in Tuscaloosa.

The only thing I like about Texas BBQ is the sausage, which they do pretty well.

And NC BBQ sauce has wayyy too much vinegar in it. Too runny. I like a good, thick, spicy, tomato-based sauce.

• FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    cabinetmaker:
    fla-gypsy:
    cholmes8310:
    fla-gypsy:

Ive never even heard of California BBQ ( did you mean carolina?)

• FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555

I dont know all the differences in the styles of BBQ, but I do know I LOVE THEM ALL!

I had a Carolina dry rub a few years ago and it was THE BEST IVE EVER HAD - could have gone on the food network and talked about it!!!!

• ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    fla-gypsy:
    cholmes8310:
    fla-gypsy:
    My father is the GM of a BBQ restaurant in Texas... I LOVE going to visit because he breaks out the special recipes when one of the kids comes to town (usually some brisket from a cow raised on a friends ranch...) ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!
    cholmes8310:
    cabinetmaker:
    fla-gypsy:
    cholmes8310:
    fla-gypsy:
    Beef is not BBQ. Pork is king in BBQ. If it ain't pork, it ain't BBQ. The Swine is Fine!

And I'll put up Rendevous ribs against anyone in the country. Well, those or Dreamland in Tuscaloosa.

The only thing I like about Texas BBQ is the sausage, which they do pretty well.

And NC BBQ sauce has wayyy too much vinegar in it. Too runny. I like a good, thick, spicy, tomato-based sauce.

When I was in Mississippi, all the bbq joints were all about the pork. Pork, pork, pork.. Beef briskit is king! Oh, and bbq is the way It's cooked, not thesauce. But you gotta have sauce for pig, just to make it taste decent.. None required for a briskit, none at all. Beef stands on It's own flavors.
    cholmes8310:
    You can't beat Memphis BBQ, I don't care what anyone from NC, KC, St Louis, or Texas says. There is a reason the world championship BBQ competitiion is held in Memphis. Rendevous, Central, Interstate, Neely's, Tom's, Leonard's, Marlowe's, and the list goes on and on and on. Memphis Dry Rub BBQ is king.
    Memphis BBQ is a joke. I wouldn't give that crap to my ex-wife. Someone has a BBQ competition in Memphis and decides to call it a world championship. Wow, we only have about 200 BBQ competitions here a year. We have an entire arena for concerts that fills up for the American Royal BBQ.

Often referred to as "The World Series of Barbecue", The American Royal Barbecue Contest is held each October in Kansas City, Missouri This event comprises two distinct competitions held over the course of four days. The first contest is the Invitational Contest, with competing teams being required to obtain an invitation by winning other qualifying contests throughout the year. The second competition is an open contest that any team can compete in. This open contest is the largest championship barbecue competition in the world.

Kansas City Barbecue Society sanctions and judges over 300 BBQ Competitions in 43 states.

Kansas City is known for its barbeque cuisine beginning in 1908 when Henry Perry, the "Father of Kansas City BBQ" started selling his smoked meats in an alley stand in the Garment District. As his tasty food gained popularity he moved up until he was running his full time operation out of an old railroad car near the famous corner of 18th & Vine.

The Midwest is a barbecue hotbed - if you can't find a meat and sauce combination you like in Kansas City, you can't find it anywhere.

KC has more barbecue restaurants per capita than any other city in the nation.

Arthur Bryant's
    B.B.'s Lawnside BBQ
    BBQ Shack
    Jack Stack
    Gates BBQ
    Smokehouse Bar-B-Q
    Snead's BBQ
    Three Little Pigs BBQ
    Timbercreek BBQ
    Wabasg BBQ
    Winslow's BBQ
    Zarda
    KC Masterpiece
    Smokin Guns BBQ
    Danny Edward's Famous BBQ
    Holy Smoke
    Rosedal BBQ
    Oklahoma Joe's BBQ
    Haywards
    Brobecks
    Papa Bob's Bar-B-Que
    Big T's BBQ
    Bee Cee's Authentic BBQ
    KC Smokestack
    Smoke Box BBQ
    Quick's 7th Street BBQ
    Woodyard BBQ
    And the list goes on and on and on and on and on and on.

Any of you yahoos come visit KC we will go to Arthur Bryant's or Gates right down in the ghetto and it will slap your brain straight so you know what real and good BBQ is.
    cabinetmaker:
    fla-gypsy:
    cholmes8310:
    fla-gypsy:
    Kansas City Barbecue is considered the world's best Barbecue which gave rise to the city's motto "F#ck you, Texas".
    cabinetmaker:
    Oh, and bbq is the way It's cooked, not thesauce.
    I fully understand that. But it's still called BBQ sauce. And NC style sauce is too thin and has too much vinegar in it
    jsnake:
    Kansas City Barbecue is considered the world's best Barbecue which gave rise to the city's motto "F#ck you, Texas".
    Considered the world's best by who??? That's why i love BBQ, because every single style be it Memphis, KC, Texas, or NC, makes this claim. And every single one can show countless awards, recognitions, opinions making the case for why their's is the best.
    cholmes8310:
    cabinetmaker:
    I fully understand that. But it's still called BBQ sauce. And NC style sauce is too thin and has too much vinegar in it
    +1 we at least agree on one thing. Carolina BBQ? That is too damn funny. When someone says BBQ what comes to mind is KC, Memphis, and Texas.
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    Less talkie talkie and more recipes!!
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    jsnake:
    cholmes8310:
    cabinetmaker:
    +1 we at least agree on one thing. Carolina BBQ? That is too damn funny. When someone says BBQ what comes to mind is KC, Memphis, and Texas.
    as a Carolinian you have no idea what you talk of as there are many different kinds of Carolina BBQ, some are mustard based, others are vinegar based and don't knock it till you try it. One of the BEST BBQ joints is in Raleigh, NC a wonderful joint called The Pit, it's been featured on Man vs Food, Bobby Gay's Throwdown, and other BBQ specials, went there couple months ago and it was out of this world. If you go you'll meet the Pit Master as he goes and talks to all his tables and make sure you try the Collards they are divine!
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    Hayblet:
    jsnake:
    cholmes8310:
    cabinetmaker:
    as a Carolinian you have no idea what you talk of as there are many different kinds of Carolina BBQ, some are mustard based, others are vinegar based and don't knock it till you try it. One of the BEST BBQ joints is in Raleigh, NC a wonderful joint called The Pit, it's been featured on Man vs Food, Bobby Gay's Throwdown, and other BBQ specials, went there couple months ago and it was out of this world. If you go you'll meet the Pit Master as he goes and talks to all his tables and make sure you try the Collards they are divine!
    The Pit... is the $HIT!!! The food is decent, but the girls that go there are HOTTIES!! (well, most of them anyways.)
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    jsnake:
    cholmes8310:
    cabinetmaker:
    Unless you live on the southeastern seaboard, then Carolina BBQ is exactly what comes to mind... The best!