Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

Mystery Stick Game

Comments

• Options
    GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Posts: 474
    Oh my gosh, really? Haha! I have two Grayclif 1666s in my humi resting for the day I decided that I was ready enough to try them because of how much flak they've received! I've read a few good things and a million terrible things. But last night - That stick was amazing. I feel compelled to write a review about it next time I have a chance available, so I can sing praise!

The song floor goes back to you JD, You have one more stick - and it's the one I'm most interested to hear what you think of it.
  • Options
    Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    Hey guys, what vitola was the 1666?
  • Options
    Duder2:
    Hey guys, what vitola was the 1666?
    It looked like a churchill but was slightly smaller gauge, so presidente?
  • Options
    JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    Ok Gadwin, just finished cigar B. Tasty little morsel, but darn it, it left me wanting to smoke something a little stronger! This stick was pretty oily with subtle notes of coffee, wood and caramel . Burn was a little wavy but never had to correct it. The burn reminds me something Rocky Patel makes. Total burn time was 90 minutes. So with that said my guess is a Rocky Patel 1961.
  • Options
    Jdorais:
    Ok Gadwin, just finished cigar B. Tasty little morsel, but darn it, it left me wanting to smoke something a little stronger! This stick was pretty oily with subtle notes of coffee, wood and caramel . Burn was a little wavy but never had to correct it. The burn reminds me something Rocky Patel makes. Total burn time was 90 minutes. So with that said my guess is a Rocky Patel 1961.
    The last one is actually a mild favorite of mine, The Gurkha Empire II!

I can understand you wanting a stronger stick, but damn I love that puppy for a mild!
  • Options
    GadwinDuil:
    Jdorais:

I can understand you wanting a stronger stick, but damn I love that puppy for a mild!
    Well I'll be damned. That's the first Gurkha that hasn't unwrapped or exploded on me ever.
  • Options
    Jdorais:
    GadwinDuil:
    Jdorais:

Well I'll be damned. That's the first Gurkha that hasn't unwrapped or exploded on me ever.
    That's actually why I was as excited to have you try that one as I was. So many people dislike gurkha, so I was curious what you'd think of it!
  • Options
    GadwinDuil:
    Jdorais:
    GadwinDuil:
    Jdorais:

That's actually why I was as excited to have you try that one as I was. So many people dislike gurkha, so I was curious what you'd think of it!
    I do like the flavors of the G line, I only dislike the construction. This one didn't have any problems except for the draw being a little tight- nothing I couldn't deal with tho.
  • Options
    Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    You got a mooch yet j?
  • Options
    Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    Alex Williams:
    You got a mooch yet j?
    I think MrMoke is Jd's mooch. He may be looking for a mooch though...
  • Options
    MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Duder2:
    Alex Williams:
    You got a mooch yet j?

J is correct, I am awaiting a response to my Mystery Mooch request!!!

If I missed it, will the prospective Moocher please post again quoting their original response?

Otherwise, I'll ask again, who wants to be my Mystery Mooch????

I'll start smoking mine as soon as I hear JD is on stick C, I believe he just finished stick B, am not sure if we are waiting on anyone else to smoke up, I 'm good either way, I can wait or start right away, always looking for an excuse to smoke another stick!!!

• Options
    Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    MrMoke:
    Duder2:
    Alex Williams:
    You got a mooch yet j?

If I missed it, will the prospective Moocher please post again quoting their original response?

I'm in!!
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Dang! I keep missing my chance! I'll try and volunteer for Alex when he needs a mystery mooch.
  • Options
    Alex Williams:
    MrMoke:
    Duder2:
    Alex Williams:
    You got a mooch yet j?

I'm in!!

Okey, doke Alex, you're my mystery mooch, I picked 'em out this morning and will have them on the way to you tomorrow.

Jd, where R U with stick C, I'm gonna fire up stick 'A' I got from you this evening. I want to get started cos I may not be able to burn one Tuesday, and don't want to delay the game!

• Options
    MrMoke:
    Alex Williams:
    MrMoke:
    Duder2:
    Alex Williams:
    You got a mooch yet j?

I'm in!!

Okey, doke Alex, you're my mystery mooch, I picked 'em out this morning and will have them on the way to you tomorrow.

Jd, where R U with stick C, I'm gonna fire up stick 'A' I got from you this evening. I want to get started cos I may not be able to burn one Tuesday, and don't want to delay the game!

Oops, pm me your details, please?

• Options
    JD is all done, Moke! He smoked his in a little wonky order but he has indeed had all three, so it's all you buddy! :-D
  • Options
    GadwinDuil:
    JD is all done, Moke! He smoked his in a little wonky order but he has indeed had all three, so it's all you buddy! :-D
    HA! WONKY! HA!
  • Options
    Jdorais:
    GadwinDuil:
    HA! WONKY! HA!

Okay!!!!
    I'll be firing up stick A at the B&M in an hour or two. Should be able to post my thoughts on it later tonight.

• Options
    MrMoke:
    Jdorais:
    GadwinDuil:
    HA! WONKY! HA!

Okay!!!!
    I'll be firing up stick A at the B&M in an hour or two. Should be able to post my thoughts on it later tonight.

wow, your B&m lets you bring your own sticks to smoke?
  • Options
    Jdorais:
    MrMoke:
    Jdorais:
    GadwinDuil:
    HA! WONKY! HA!

Okay!!!!

wow, your B&m lets you bring your own sticks to smoke?

Well, I don't walk in the door waving one of my own sticks around, (unless I'm already smoking it!) nor do I advertise that am bringing my own in. But I do follow the rule that I at least by a stick from them, I've never left there spending less than $20. Sometimes I smoke my own (maybe one I bought from them on a previous visit!) sometimes I'll smoke one I buy there, there's no signs saying I can't do it and I figure they'd rather have me come in, buy there stuff, and smoke something I bought elsewhere, than stay away, buying nothing from them, smoking stuff I bought elsewhere ;)

• Options
    Okay, well I ended up burning Stick A at home, was waiting for it to cool off so i could mow.

Stick A's vitola was 5.5" X 52, with a tasty looking habano wrapper that had a very pleasant oily sheen to it; nice firm consistent construction with minimal veining. Given the firmnest I thought I was in for a tight draw but was pleasantly surprised at it's easy lighting and lightweight draw with plenty smoke.
    1st 3rd was dominated by a strong pepper on the back of my throat, which gave way to an earthy, leathery flavor. Burn wavered just a little but stayed consistent overall. It ashed after 1st 1/2" and did it consistently every 1/2" after that, I put it down for 2 -5 minutes at a time and it never went out until I reached the last 1 1/2" when it was hard to light, at this point I had become distracted by the need to get my ride on mower going.

Sorry intend to go into a mini review with this, overall I thoroughly enjoyed it and kept thinking "I've smoked one of these before!". Lit up at 6:05pm, nubbed it at 7:40pm, mowing thereafter gave me some time to think about it, then had a rumage in my humi to confirm my suspicion, alas I could not find a matching cigar, but did find some similar, I have definately smoked it before and if I am right I got 1 in a sampler a month or so ago. 5.5" X 52 is a popular vitola, Jd having seen my post count is probably not going to make it too tough for me by sending me something obscure, so, when I weigh it all in I am going to say it is a ...................

Gurkha Empire Series I !!

• Options
    /Starts a drumroll

I wanna hear what it is too!
  • Options
    Yeah, come on Jd, I've been holding my breath waiting for your reply and am going blue and my eyes are popping by now lol.
  • Options
    MrMoke:
    Yeah, come on Jd, I've been holding my breath waiting for your reply and am going blue and my eyes are popping by now lol.
    Ok MR M, you can breathe now. Cigar A was the Casa Magna Colorado.
  • Options
    Well that was my first Casa Magna Colorado and I liked it!! ;)

Okay, lets see how i do with Stick B this evening.

• Options
    MrMoke:
    Well that was my first Casa Magna Colorado and I liked it!! ;)

Okay, lets see how i do with Stick B this evening.

Yup, they're pretty darn tasty. I didn't like the first one I had, but now that they have almost a years rest they're good. Oh and you don't have to smoke in order if you don't want to.
  • Options
    It had a year on it! Yum, it's surprising what some rest will do to cigars isn't it. There was one I had on Saturday (not going to mention since it'll be in the mystery pack i send out!) that had 4 years on it and it was soooooo delicious it was a finger burner ;)

• Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    something about enjoying or smoking a cigar that came from an island?
  • Options
    Sorry I missed doing Stick B last night, got home too late, have it fired up now. 5"X54 vitola, nice oily looking natural wrapper, very firm roll, much more so than stick A which I described as firm. Anyway back to it, more to follow.

• Options
    MrMoke:
    Sorry I missed doing Stick B last night, got home too late, have it fired up now. 5"X54 vitola, nice oily looking natural wrapper, very firm roll, much more so than stick A which I described as firm. Anyway back to it, more to follow.

Sorry, it's actually 5"X46, don't know where I got the 54 from, lol.
    Anyway, inspite of the firm roll it lit easily and the draw was light but firm. Was immediately struck by how mild this stick was, hints of coffee and caramel at first not much spice or pepper in the first 3rd. Getting into the 2nd 3rd the pepper came on hard, more coffee, cedar then toward the last 3rd the pepper dimished to leave a light nutty flavor, cedar increased, walnut, this is a very interesting smoke. All the way the burn was consitent and it never went out once, a quality gar for sure. I think it would be described as mild-medium bodied and am pretty sure I' have not smoked this one before, so am going to have to guess.

A Perdomo perhaps ??????

Jd really does put together an interesting Mystery Stick package, I am very much looking forward to stick C tomorrow