Home Non Cigar Related

Regional differences

fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
I got to thinking about the different regions of the the states after the BBQ thread started and thought it would be interesting to discuss regional differences in everyday life. I will start with this, the pace of life is significantly different in my region (exterme south) of the world than in others. Some of this is rural vs urban, but not all of it. Also, some parts of the country may not fully appreciate how much impact events that happened 150 years ago still have on our culture here in the south. The War Between the States has placed a mark on this region that may not ever be overcome. As a child (I'm 53) "The War" was discussed as if it had just taken place to a large degree and remnants of it still impact everyday life here. Anyone else want to jump in?

Comments

• jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    where I live, hippies riegn supreme. they push their lifestyles on every one else and vilify you if you dont think like them. crime is low compared to south sacramento where I grew up, but people are still afraid of everything. nothing gets done with government cause they are too afraid to hurt some ones feelings. but other than that, I love it here. more fine dining than you can ever experience in a lifetime. the weather is always interesting, in the summer, its the best I can imagine. winter we get snow, just enough to be fun, but not too much that it makes going out for milk a royal pain. there are many destinations within a couple hours, big city life, canada, small bavarian town over the mountains, puget sound. here in lynnwood, its suburb living for sure, strip malls, one mall which is the life blood of this city. not much industry or manufacturing. lots of privately owned business, lots of nice parks. most of the crime in this city is related to drugs, drug stores get robbed for oxycotton at least once a month. could be worse for sure, meth is a big business in snohomish county. even with its problems, this is a good place to live.
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    Where I live they have huge signs of "No Room For Rascism" YET!!!! Main street seperates White Street from Black Street. Other than that nothing too major happens around here I live next to a Cop so I'll feel slightly more secure, no gang bangers, just Holy Rollers and the occasional mild crime make the papers around here.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Weather wise down here you really must be acclimated to the summers and that has a lot to do with the slower pace of life. It gets hot and stays that way for a long time. We also have our share of natural beauty for those who know where to find it. There is a whole world in the interior of Florida that most tourists know nothing of. Many of those places are what we call "Old Florida" which is characterized by huge shady oaks and a lifestyle that moves at a snails pace. Those places also hide the those enchanted places we love so much. No beach is as beautiful or refreshing as one of the many freshwater springs we have to lounge in when we want to do nothing on those long hot summer days. 72 degree water on a 90+ day is absolutely heaven. Not to take anything away from the beaches either, we have our beaches that are not so famous that the locals congregate to and enjoy the surf as well.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Well, I live in a suburb of Sacramento (Roseville) that has some major ups and downs. It's a very upscale area, for the most part - tract homes that used to go for $1mil plus are everywhere, and right up the street from me (less than a mile) is a whole series of private mansions that probably go up to about 20,000 sq ft or more. The shopping makes us a major destination...our Galleria Mall semi-recently completed an expansion and is now up to almost 1.5 million sq ft, including stores like Louis Vuitton, Coach, Burberry, Tiffany and Co, etc... Crime is pretty low I would say, and I have an extended family member on the local PD. We also have very close proximity to a fun lake, but there's been some issues with the water levels dropping over the past few years. Weather is fairly desirable, depending on your preferences: winters are mild, no snow, fair amount of rain, spring and fall are beautiful, and summer is regularly 100+ degree temps. (Personally, I hate the heat so this last bit tends to bug me).

On the downside, all the goods about this area have given rise to a very crappy population. We're full of superhot moms that don't pay attention to their kids, and dads that are complete douches riding around in souped up F250s and 350zs wearing tight jeans and Affliction t-shirts. The kids are then smoking pot and/or doing worse drugs, and the girls dress like **** and act like it too. (Side note: in 2004 our city was declared the Skinniest City in America...not healthiest, mind you, skinniest)

I love the area that I live in, I really do, but it's really hard for me to swallow wanting to raise a family here, so I haven't quite figured out that part yet.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • vegassparkyvegassparky Posts: 365
    las vegas is alot like what hays has to deal with. the only thing is this town runs 24/7 with drunks and wacko's from around the world. Our town matto " what happens in vegas, stays in vegas". so people go nuts. i spent some time in florida and virginia. life out here is faster passed. we have anything...and i do mean anything within your grasp out here. its vegas....alot of skin....alot of partys. overall its a great place to live for the most part.
  • thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    well being from chicago,well it says it all,we have it all from crime of any nature,to gangs ,to just about anything you can think of,back room politics rule this city,
    we have some of the wierdest weather lately probly global warming effecting the lake,hot as hell one day low 60's the next,
    in some areas you can walk at night and feel some what safe 3 blocks over you wont even step out after dark for what ever you fear in the big city,
    i been here for 30yrs so im pretty immune to alot whats going on,i mind my own and only speak up when the fools spill there juice in my direction,
    but all in all if your not used to a some what fast paced city,then its probly going to leave you in aww, but i still live here so there's something that i like about it
    just wish i knew what it was,not the tobacco tax gotta be the highest in the nation
  • GentlemanGentleman Posts: 152
    We used to be 1st but now we're 2nd most dangerous city in the U.S. I haven't personally been affected by serious crime but you can tell it's in the back of people's minds constantly. It's a big city and crime is in inevitable. The one thing that gets me is that I moved into this house 3-4 years ago and I only know 1 of my neighbors. I wouldn't even call it knowing him, usually it's the occasional hello when I'm outside. I've talked to him a few times though and he's pretty cool. I've offered him cigars every now and then although he always declines, but he can smoke cigarettes like a madman. It'd be nicer if everyone were more friendly but everyone seems to stick to their own business and just keep moving ahead as best they can. I guess no city is perfect which is why I don't think I'd ever leave St. Louis. Besides all the negative there is a lot of history here and some really awesome places to visit that make me feel like I'm stepping back in time. I think as a whole the people of St. Louis mean well and when it comes to our Cardinals baseball the whole city is united is a some small way.
  • mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    I live in Houston. It's pretty boring. Not much regionality here, it's just a big capitalistic wasteland with little culture.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Gypsy....are your referring to what my 2nd grade History teacher used to refer to as "The War of Northern Aggression"?lol
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    Vulchor:
    Gypsy....are your referring to what my 2nd grade History teacher used to refer to as "The War of Northern Aggression"?lol
    That's some damn good learnin you done did got right there!! ;) just kiddin
    Vulchor:
    I was just trying to be nice to our northern brothers, but yeah, thats the one.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hays:
    Well, I live in a suburb of Sacramento (Roseville) that has some major ups and downs. It's a very upscale area, for the most part - tract homes that used to go for $1mil plus are everywhere, and right up the street from me (less than a mile) is a whole series of private mansions that probably go up to about 20,000 sq ft or more. The shopping makes us a major destination...our Galleria Mall semi-recently completed an expansion and is now up to almost 1.5 million sq ft, including stores like Louis Vuitton, Coach, Burberry, Tiffany and Co, etc... Crime is pretty low I would say, and I have an extended family member on the local PD. We also have very close proximity to a fun lake, but there's been some issues with the water levels dropping over the past few years. Weather is fairly desirable, depending on your preferences: winters are mild, no snow, fair amount of rain, spring and fall are beautiful, and summer is regularly 100+ degree temps. (Personally, I hate the heat so this last bit tends to bug me).

On the downside, all the goods about this area have given rise to a very crappy population. We're full of superhot moms that don't pay attention to their kids, and dads that are complete douches riding around in souped up F250s and 350zs wearing tight jeans and Affliction t-shirts. The kids are then smoking pot and/or doing worse drugs, and the girls dress like **** and act like it too. (Side note: in 2004 our city was declared the Skinniest City in America...not healthiest, mind you, skinniest)

I love the area that I live in, I really do, but it's really hard for me to swallow wanting to raise a family here, so I haven't quite figured out that part yet.
    Hays, have you been to the Total Wine there is Roseville? It is a great place to find craft brews. Also, if you wanted to start yet another project, they have beers that are cellar able, like wine you are supposed to age them. It's a great place to spend hours.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    fla-gypsy:
    The War Between the States has placed a mark on this region that may not ever be overcome. As a child (I'm 53) "The War" was discussed as if it had just taken place to a large degree and remnants of it still impact everyday life here. Anyone else want to jump in?
    This post reminded me of something I found when I was stationed in South Carolina - the Civil War was almost always refered to as "The War of Northern Aggression" by native South Carolinians.

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I won't get into the whole south vs north bit, the war has been over a long while, it'd be nice if we as a "nation" could get over it. Anyway, while I've been all around the US I can say that most definitely there is a huge difference in regions. In oregon it's sort of a midway between seattle/cali. There has been a lot of migration of races in portland over the years. Crime isn't that bad but has been getting worse. I can say that drugs has been probably the biggest reason.
    phobicsquirrel:
    I won't get into the whole south vs north bit, the war has been over a long while, it'd be nice if we as a "nation" could get over it. Anyway, while I've been all around the US I can say that most definitely there is a huge difference in regions. In oregon it's sort of a midway between seattle/cali. There has been a lot of migration of races in portland over the years. Crime isn't that bad but has been getting worse. I can say that drugs has been probably the biggest reason.
    The war has been over a long, long time but that does not change the fact that it has impacted everyday life here even 150 years later. We still have the earthen berms and forts to remind us and the ancestors who gave their best shot in defense of their land. Aside from that though there are many other differences. Florida is viewed as a tourist place with beaches but that is just an outsiders view. The differences even in North Florida and South Florida are quite stark. I live near the coast line but I think more of Florida as the primordial swamp place like the Okeefenokee and the black water river systems and all the fresh water springs that make it a place of much water. It also has a long and storied history that pre dates the colonies.
    bandyt09:
    Hays, have you been to the Total Wine there is Roseville? It is a great place to find craft brews. Also, if you wanted to start yet another project, they have beers that are cellar able, like wine you are supposed to age them. It's a great place to spend hours.
    Why of course...I love the place. Thing is, it's clear across town for me, and BevMo is all of a mile away, so BevMo tends to get my business unless there's something they don't have, or I have the particular urge to drive.

And I currently am involved in: work full time, sailing, cigars, tennis, golf, and soon to be school...I'm pretty sure if I bring home another project, my fiance will flat out murder me. She had to talk me out of picking up roadbiking recently lol..

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
    Hays:
    bandyt09:
    Why of course...I love the place. Thing is, it's clear across town for me, and BevMo is all of a mile away, so BevMo tends to get my business unless there's something they don't have, or I have the particular urge to drive.

And I currently am involved in: work full time, sailing, cigars, tennis, golf, and soon to be school...I'm pretty sure if I bring home another project, my fiance will flat out murder me. She had to talk me out of picking up roadbiking recently lol..
    Sorry to hear about the distance for you, mine's all of 8 minutes away; you could always make it a day trip of course, LOL. I hear ya on the "no new projects adage" even if you start small it never stays that way, first it was cigars, then I added Red Wine and now rum; luckily my wife supports me through it.
    bandyt09:
    Hays:
    bandyt09:

Sorry to hear about the distance for you, mine's all of 8 minutes away; you could always make it a day trip of course, LOL. I hear ya on the "no new projects adage" even if you start small it never stays that way, first it was cigars, then I added Red Wine and now rum; luckily my wife supports me through it.
    Haha the sad thing is, it's not even really that far away...it's maybe 10 minutes real drive time, but when BevMo is about 2 minutes... Rum is fantastic - we should talk more about that.

Hays:
    bandyt09:
    Hays:
    bandyt09:

Haha the sad thing is, it's not even really that far away...it's maybe 10 minutes real drive time, but when BevMo is about 2 minutes... Rum is fantastic - we should talk more about that.
    PM sent.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    Hays:

hmmmmm I live not far from you Hays and i dont understand this discription, When I get time I will give you my take on My Town. LOL