Home Cigar 101

Recommend me some hard liquor to go with a cigar

xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
Ok, so here's the deal - I don't like most scotch or whiskey due to it's harshness, but I still wanna get into it a bit. I've tried:

Wild Turkey 101 - Straight Bourbon whiskey
Bacardi Gold, puerto rican rum
Stock 84 Brandy
Johnny Walker, Black Label
Crown Royal Reserve
Jose Cuervo Especial
Bacardi Select
InverHouse Green Plaid, scotch whiskey
Glenlivet, single malt scotch whiskey

They're all "blah" to me - the only hard liquor I'm fond of is B&B or Yukon Jack

So any recommendations?

Comments

• cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    xmacro:
    Ok, so here's the deal - I don't like most scotch or whiskey due to it's harshness, but I still wanna get into it a bit. I've tried:

Stock 84 Brandy
    Crown Royal Reserve
    Jose Cuervo Especial
    Bacardi Select

They're all "blah" to me - the only hard liquor I'm fond of is B&B or Yukon Jack

So any recommendations?

Eagle Rare 10yo bourbon or Buffalo Trace bourbon. Also, Forty Creek Canadian Whiskey. In that order. Damn I'm thirsty now. I'm like you too. Not a fan of scotch or whiskey, but I love my bourbon.
  • rossdavey2rossdavey2 Posts: 979
    I would add to the Glenlivet list, try the french oak reserve, and the Nadduur (this is just plan amazing stuff. not cold filtered so if you add cold water or ice it gets cloudy, and just a simply amazing taste)

also glenmoringie (think thats how you spell it, its in C.A. a lot)
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    xmacro:

Stock 84 Brandy
    Crown Royal Reserve
    Jose Cuervo Especial
    Bacardi Select

So any recommendations?

I'm not particularly fond of any of those you've listed, and I've had most of them. In fact, if I were a judgmental kind of guy I might call them all swill, but I'm not, so I won't. Big Smile [:D]

It depends on what you're smoking as far as what's going to pair well. For lighter bodied rums I'd suggest Pyrat, Appleton, or maybe even flor de cana 18. Scotch, I'd recomend Edradour 10, Dalwhinnie, or Oban 14. I'm just getting into tequila so I can't really help there. I do know that Tim (TGO) said to make sure whatever you buy that it's 100% agave. So far I like Milagro Silver a lot. Hope some of that helps. Those are mostly the lighter things that I started out with, and still keep on hand.
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    For rum I love Appleton Estate 12 Year. For Whiskey I'm a Makers Mark guy.
    t_evan50:
    Appleton Estate 12 Year
    I came back to edit that into my post, but I'll just quote you instead. This was the first rum I had after trying all the crap like bacardi, meyers, capt morgan, cruz, etc, and it blew me away. I was shocked when I discovered something that didn't taste like rocket fuel.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Russ55:
    t_evan50:
    Appleton Estate 12 Year
    I came back to edit that into my post, but I'll just quote you instead. This was the first rum I had after trying all the crap like bacardi, meyers, capt morgan, cruz, etc, and it blew me away. I was shocked when I discovered something that didn't taste like rocket fuel.
    Hmm...I was actually overly unimpressed with the Appleton Estate, especially with how much I'd heard about it. I bought a bottle several months back, made my way through about half of it, and proceeded to give away the remainder. I found it rather bland.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Yukon Jack is sweet as candy so you may not like most whiskey or scotch with traditional flavors without a long 'growing on me' phase. For some nice affordable whiskey with a smooth taste try Bushmill's or Jameyson's.
  • gravitylabgravitylab Posts: 16
    Gotta endorse the above mention of the Glenlivet Nadurra...I've been drinking that stuff lately and it goes great with a good smoke!
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban is a great scotch, finished in Port casks, so it has a rich chocolaty finish that pairs really well with cigars. I also drink a lot of Flor de Cana rum with smokes, especially the Grand Reserve (7 year I think), because it's smooth and flavorful, but not very expensive (pay about 22$ for a bottle here)
    Hays:
    Russ55:
    t_evan50:
    Appleton Estate 12 Year
    Hmm...I was actually overly unimpressed with the Appleton Estate, especially with how much I'd heard about it. I bought a bottle several months back, made my way through about half of it, and proceeded to give away the remainder. I found it rather bland.
    He's asking for milder stuff though, and a place to start, so that's a good one to try.
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    For a light rum give Brugal White Label a try, its pretty tasty and goes down smooth, goes great with medium and even mild-bodied cigars
  • surfingzeekosurfingzeeko Posts: 628
    Lol I don't drink anymore, but if you're looking to get into drinking hard liquor, I would say start with a rum. Sailor Jerry's is a solid place to start if you're on a budget, and if you feel like mixing it throw it in a coke and it tastes like a vanilla coke. except with magic in it.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    I tried Sailor Jerry's, but I didn't really like it. I looove me some Captain Morgan's Private Stock, though. Tastes a lot better than the original Captain Morgan and goes down a lot smoother, too.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Not to derail too much here, but Sailor Jerry + Dr. Pepper + movie theater = awesome time. :)
  • doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    I'm a huge fan of any Islay scotch. If you're unfamiliar with the style, they smoke the barley with a peat fire. The resulting product has a great earthy/smokey/peaty flavor to it. It's pretty polarizing though, some folks love it (me) others hate it.

My personal favorite is Laphroaig Quarter Cask. I add a splash of ice cold water to it to bring out the boquet. There's a "sweet spot" with water addition. If you add it slowly (a few drops at a time) with your nose close to the glass you'll notice a point at which the aroma really blooms.

They only thing I wouldn't recommend this for is extremely mild sticks as it's easy to drown out the subtle flavors. It's absolutely heavenly, though, with a full flavored maduor or a Man O'War.

Now if only I could smoke and drink at work I'd be happy. Seems I've worked up a thirst and a cigar appetite.
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    I just enjoy some Gran Mariner with my cigars time to time.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    rossdavey2:
    I would add to the Glenlivet list, try the french oak reserve, and the Nadduur (this is just plan amazing stuff. not cold filtered so if you add cold water or ice it gets cloudy, and just a simply amazing taste)

also glenmoringie (think thats how you spell it, its in C.A. a lot)
    My first scotch was a Glenmorangie 14. It was aged in sherry casks so it had a bit of sweetness to it. I recently had a Laphroaig 10, which was really smokey and peaty.

Didn't a recent Ccom catalog have an article on cigar/rum pairings?
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Godfather... nuff said.

stephen_hannibal:
    Godfather... nuff said.

?? whats that stephen?
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't drink any more. But, then again, I don't drink any less, either. As you can see from my signature lines, I'm a sour mash bourbon lover. My favorite would be Booker's. Then comes Knob Creek. For day-to-day bourbon, Wild Turkey 101 or Evan Williams is good.

Marty

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    illinoisgolf99:
    stephen_hannibal:
    Godfather... nuff said.

?? whats that stephen?
    oooh looks good
  • JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    surfingzeeko:
    Lol I don't drink anymore, but if you're looking to get into drinking hard liquor, I would say start with a rum. Sailor Jerry's is a solid place to start if you're on a budget, and if you feel like mixing it throw it in a coke and it tastes like a vanilla coke. except with magic in it.
    Magic in it! You sure you're not from I grew up? The haight ashbury in SF?
  • WoodyOWoodyO Posts: 12
    Rum: Flor De Cana Centenario Flor De Cana 18 year Zaya Ron Zacapa 23 year or Appleton Estate for a rum and coke Bourbon: old Fitzgerald 12 year Buffalo Trace Willet Single Barrel or Makers Mark for Whiskey sours or mixing with coke Scotch: Lagavulin 16 year Glenfiddich 18 year Famous Grouse Johnny Walker Black
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    ok... my favorite bourbon that isn't SUPEr expensive is Basil Haydens... it's super smooth and not too harsh... match that with a Diesel and you're a happy man... it's about 39 per bottle and well worth it...
    jlmarta:
    I don't drink any more. But, then again, I don't drink any less, either. As you can see from my signature lines, I'm a sour mash bourbon lover. My favorite would be Booker's. Then comes Knob Creek.
    Understandable, since Bookers, Baker's, and Basil Hayden's are Knob Creek small batch bourbons. I like Knob, and I liked the Basil Hayden's, but Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace were just smoother to me. I know everyone is different with liqour just like cigars. I just find the Knob Creek stuff to be a little harsh. And dont' get me started on Woodford or 1792. That stuff has a burrrn to it.
    j0z3r:
    Not to derail too much here, but Sailor Jerry + Dr. Pepper + movie theater = awesome time. :)
    +1 haha
    Jdorais:
    surfingzeeko:
    Magic in it! You sure you're not from I grew up? The haight ashbury in SF?
    Nope lol but I was up there a little bit, at least in San Rafael because of my grandparents. I'm a southern california guy though.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cholmes8310:
    jlmarta:
    I don't drink any more. But, then again, I don't drink any less, either. As you can see from my signature lines, I'm a sour mash bourbon lover. My favorite would be Booker's. Then comes Knob Creek.
    I like Knob, and I liked the Basil Hayden's, but Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace were just smoother to me. I know everyone is different with liqour just like cigars.

That name, Buffalo Trace, keeps popping up lately. I'm gonna have to give that a try. And Eagle Rare has a nice ring to it, also. You just might've put me on to something good, here.

Marty

jlmarta:
    That name, Buffalo Trace, keeps popping up lately. I'm gonna have to give that a try. And Eagle Rare has a nice ring to it, also. You just might've put me on to something good, here.

Marty

Eagle Rare has a 10yo for about $28 and a 17yo for about $60. I personally like the 10yo better, price not even considered. The Buffalo Trace should run around $25