Home Cigar 101

Beatles !!!

The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
So I have them but they all came from cigars that were gotten..... Lets just say while I was on vacation somewhere warm.... Now I know these cigars I got were legit, and they were Cohibas and a Monte Cristo. BUT THEY DAMN SURE ALL HAVE BEATLES !!!! Now a bunch were in my 300 count and in my aging humi. I found a bunch of dead ones and it appears that all of my other cigars are ok.... Now these infected smokes have been in there since January so If they got into my other smokes I would know by now... right ???? It looks like they went to town on my nice Foreign cigars and they got through the cello but all other cigars and wrappers appear to be in tact and ok. ( This is why I keep my cello on ) I am just looking for some advice and some comfort at this time as I am very upset and uneasy......

Comments

• zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    That sux man! I think you gotta freez em. Put them in zip lock bags and put them in the freezer for a day or so. I posted a thread in here a bit ago and it had some good info and links in there.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    So long as your other smokes don't look chewed up or have holes in them, they should be ok. I'd still put all my smokes in the freezer overnight, then the fridge for a day, and then put them in the humi again for a month before I smoke another one. In the meantime, take a rag and wipe down the inside of your humi to make sure it's clean.

The sticks should still be good, especially since you say they look clean and the fact that they've had almost 6 months to eat tobacco, but better to be overly cautious than risk all your sticks being infested in my opinion.
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    Fortunately, these bugs do not like freezing cold temperatures. You can place the cigars in the freezer for 4 days. The freezing cold temperature will kill off all the bugs and its larvae. However, there is a strict procedure that must be adhered to in order to prevent the complete ruination of your collection. First, take all the cigars and place them in airtight plastic bags. If there is even the slightest gap in the seals the cigars will lose all humidity and be destroyed. I repeat this procedure twice more, so that the cigars are protected by three layers of plastic. Place the package in the freezer and leave it there for 4 days. Meanwhile, you can thoroughly wipe down the inside of the humidor (using distilled water, of course). Make sure there are no little critters hiding in the corner. Once the 4 days have passed, take the package out of the freezer and place it in the refrigerator for 12-24 hours. Be very careful when handling the package, as the cigars will be very brittle. After this time in the fridge, take them out and let them warm up to room temperature. This will take at least 4-6 hours. The larger the package, the longer it will take to get the core to rise to room temperature. Once this is done, you can now replace your sterilized smokes back into the humidor. Also if you see any small charcoal sand looking Sh!@ in your humi that is just what it is and just what it taste like if you smoke it so inspect your cigars carefully befor smokeing also tabacco beetels dont eat as adults only as larva so you wont see the ones destroying your smokes and they spread like rabbits so all of your smokes our suspect. sorry to be the barrier of bad news.
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    This is exactly why I keep the cello on all of my sticks. It won't stop the little buggers but atleast you know which sticks have been munched on at a quick glance.

Make sure you examine the foot of the cigar too for holes. I would quarentiene your infested sticks in tupperware and freeze them. Are you going to try and smoke these anyway? Jship has some pretts good advice.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    jship079:
    Fortunately, these bugs do not like freezing cold temperatures. You can place the cigars in the freezer for 4 days. The freezing cold temperature will kill off all the bugs and its larvae. However, there is a strict procedure that must be adhered to in order to prevent the complete ruination of your collection. First, take all the cigars and place them in airtight plastic bags. If there is even the slightest gap in the seals the cigars will lose all humidity and be destroyed. I repeat this procedure twice more, so that the cigars are protected by three layers of plastic. Place the package in the freezer and leave it there for 4 days. Meanwhile, you can thoroughly wipe down the inside of the humidor (using distilled water, of course). Make sure there are no little critters hiding in the corner. Once the 4 days have passed, take the package out of the freezer and place it in the refrigerator for 12-24 hours. Be very careful when handling the package, as the cigars will be very brittle. After this time in the fridge, take them out and let them warm up to room temperature. This will take at least 4-6 hours. The larger the package, the longer it will take to get the core to rise to room temperature. Once this is done, you can now replace your sterilized smokes back into the humidor. Also if you see any small charcoal sand looking Sh!@ in your humi that is just what it is and just what it taste like if you smoke it so inspect your cigars carefully befor smokeing also tabacco beetels dont eat as adults only as larva so you wont see the ones destroying your smokes and they spread like rabbits so all of your smokes our suspect. sorry to be the barrier of bad news.
    one further step you can take is to put the humidor itself in the freezer for 4 days and then reseason it

there is still debate on if time in the fridge is needed after the freezer. ive never done it. no problems here. whatever you feel better about.
  • TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    I don't suppose it would work for this particular problem. But for some reason those UV wands popped into my mind the other day. They are supposed to eliminate germs, molds, dust mites and flees. Not sure about beatles. But I've heard of people having mold problems too....just a thought.
    kuzi16:
    jship079:
    one further step you can take is to put the humidor itself in the freezer for 4 days and then reseason it

there is still debate on if time in the fridge is needed after the freezer. ive never done it. no problems here. whatever you feel better about.

Winter here is colder than any freezer and I have never had a problem skipping the fridge step when I get a package in the mail. I dont think humi packs work at -40 by the way..
  • surfingzeekosurfingzeeko Posts: 628
    The Cank:
    So I have them but they all came from cigars that were gotten..... Lets just say while I was on vacation somewhere warm.... Now I know these cigars I got were legit, and they were Cohibas and a Monte Cristo. BUT THEY DAMN SURE ALL HAVE BEATLES !!!! Now a bunch were in my 300 count and in my aging humi. I found a bunch of dead ones and it appears that all of my other cigars are ok.... Now these infected smokes have been in there since January so If they got into my other smokes I would know by now... right ???? It looks like they went to town on my nice Foreign cigars and they got through the cello but all other cigars and wrappers appear to be in tact and ok. ( This is why I keep my cello on ) I am just looking for some advice and some comfort at this time as I am very upset and uneasy......
    What are a bunch of old hippies doin in your cigars? and I thought two of em were dead too? oh you meant beetles, not BEATLES, lol :P
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    freeze them...24 houras in the fridge to adjust to cold climate, then 48-72 hours in freezer, then 24-48 back in fridge to adjust, then in the humi... i just did that to every last one of my sticks to avoid beetles and turned out nicely
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Just thinking here...but have you traded...or bombed anyone lately with your cigars?? If so...might wanna give them a heads up...

"Long ashes my friends."

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Not to hijack your thread, but in my humi there's a few cigars that have a hole in the wrapper of the cigar, but when I look at it, I can see the binder is fully intact - do the beetles bore all the way through, or only go partway through?
    Lol I traded and made them fully aware to let the sticks wait a month at least before lighting up....i would hate to get a stick that someone just unfroze and have no flavor lol...but yeah I always make everyone aware
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    Lol I traded and made them fully aware to let the sticks wait a month at least before lighting up....i would hate to get a stick that someone just unfroze and have no flavor lol...but yeah I always make everyone aware

I think Krieg was asking about the beetle sticks. I'm supprised there arn't more beetle incidents.
    lol..oh.. lol..oh well...well i think beetles are more common people probably just toss the sticks infected and move on
  • MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    freeze them...24 houras in the fridge to adjust to cold climate, then 48-72 hours in freezer, then 24-48 back in fridge to adjust, then in the humi... i just did that to every last one of my sticks to avoid beetles and turned out nicely

Maduro popsicles, an interesting concept :)

• The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    surfingzeeko:
    The Cank:
    What are a bunch of old hippies doin in your cigars? and I thought two of em were dead too? oh you meant beetles, not BEATLES, lol :P
    No I meant what I said... there is a bunch of little Ringo in my box ... :-) Nope all is good they all seem to be fine just the contaminated ones that I threw out
    if ur afraid of anything else being infected..freeze em bro just to be safe..thats what i would do
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    if ur afraid of anything else being infected..freeze em bro just to be safe..thats what i would do
    The answer to all cigar questions WWJD? What Would Joeyjoe Do?....................
  • surfingzeekosurfingzeeko Posts: 628
    The Cank:
    surfingzeeko:
    The Cank:
    No I meant what I said... there is a bunch of little Ringo in my box ... :-) Nope all is good they all seem to be fine just the contaminated ones that I threw out
    Glad to hear the majority of your stash is safe :)
  • RippRipp Posts: 125
    Because of the recent uprising in Beetle posts I came straight home to search my humi. Thankfully I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Good news you didn't have to dump most your cigars.
    Yes I am glad that most of them are ok..... See during the winter it gets cold in my room, my wife turns on a space heater and it gets up to 80 so I suspect thats when it happened, about 5 months ago and as they were separated from the others they were pretty much just left to themselves... I'll tell you what though that heater will not be going this year !
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    The Cank:
    Yes I am glad that most of them are ok..... See during the winter it gets cold in my room, my wife turns on a space heater and it gets up to 80 so I suspect thats when it happened, about 5 months ago and as they were separated from the others they were pretty much just left to themselves... I'll tell you what though that heater will not be going this year !
    I had "The Beetle Nightmare" once and had to get up out of bed at 2am and check my humidors otherwise, I couldn't sleep!

"Long ashes my friends."

Krieg:
    The Cank:
    I had "The Beetle Nightmare" once and had to get up out of bed at 2am and check my humidors otherwise, I couldn't sleep!

I've had it every night for two weeks. the first week I was 110 miles away from home....
  • LeftFiveLeftFive Posts: 184 ✭✭
    I just got 20 of these in.
    I'm pretty sure they have beetles, my question is; how worried about cross-contamination should I be? It's making me uneasy having them in or near my house and I know that's excessive. The sticks are quarantined and the closest they got to anything else is just being opened in the same room as my humidors. I tried to clean up all the eggs or poop or whatever all those specks that fell out were.
    My skin is crawling. image
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    just keep them the hell out of your humi they have the ability to devoer a hole humi in a couple weeks as far as the sticks go read threw this thread and you will find out how to handle the sticks that have been infested the truth is almost all sticks have them at some point in the process its just that the factory fumeagates or freezes the sticks to kill the little demons but some get left behind temp gets to high and there they are
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    LeftFive:
    I just got 20 of these in. The postman Jammed them in my mailbox as usual.

I'm pretty sure they have beetles, my question is; how worried about cross-contamination should I be? It's making me uneasy having them in or near my house and I know that's excessive. The sticks are quarantined and the closest they got to anything else is just being opened in the same room as my humidors. I tried to clean up all the eggs or poop or whatever all those specks that fell out were.
    My skin is crawling. image
    Whoever sent them to you needs to hear from you about how unhappy you are for sending that infestation to you.
    After reviewing everything in this thread, I had a beetle nightmare lol. I decided to go through my humidors and found nothing with holes or chew marks. However, a few of the sticks have tiny bits of tobacco loose in the cellophane that fell out when I opened it. Should I be worried or is it just a natural occurrence? I'm growing paranoid, if you can't already tell lol.
    wwhwang:
    After reviewing everything in this thread, I had a beetle nightmare lol. I decided to go through my humidors and found nothing with holes or chew marks. However, a few of the sticks have tiny bits of tobacco loose in the cellophane that fell out when I opened it. Should I be worried or is it just a natural occurrence? I'm growing paranoid, if you can't already tell lol.
    you are totally paranoid. you will see holes if you have real issues.
    kuzi16:
    wwhwang:
    you are totally paranoid. you will see holes if you have real issues.
    Good to know lol. I was freaking out when tobacco beetles were swarming my room in my dreams lol.
    the above picture is a very good example of what the holes look like. ive seen them a bit more round but that one is almost textbook.