Home Cigar 101

wine fridge humi

Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
anyone here use a wine fridge....actually running and plugged in....also, someone posted here not too long ago the main different between a regular generic wine fridge and a vinotemp is the compressor? any info...
My cheapo wine fridge is good at staying at 67 degrees, but even with humidification pucks and all the humidity can go from 30% to 90% in a hour and bounce around...this due because of the compressor of the fridge?

Comments

• mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    Why are you not using beads ;)
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    I have to order them...........and im such a dumbass....i never corked the drain hole thats in it! lol
  • ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
    I have been running a wine fridge since Christmas time, and I would have to say that your main problem is the fact your using pucks and not beads. The biggest problem I had when I first started out is the fact that the drain collects water. Yeah so whats the problem. Well I had a tray down the and it molded on me. Now what I do is put a sack of beads in the plug and every Wednesday I take those and put them up on the middle shelf, and put the sack from the middle shelf down on the bottom. Been doing it for six months and I never seem to have to recharge my beads and I chill at a good 64. Now for the slight bit of water that can pool on the bottom I keep those cigars in ziploc bags you get from ordering stogies here, or in a B&M
    Well what im having a problem with is as soon as I turn it on, thats when the humidity bounces around...im hoping the beads will help it out
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    someone posted here not too long ago the main different between a regular generic wine fridge and a vinotemp is the compressor? any info...
    Could they/you be referring to Thermoelectric? I could be wrong, but I think that's all you need. It doesn't have to be a vino-temp per say, just needs to be a thermoelectric fridge.
    yeah thats what i mean...mine isnt thermoelectric..whats the different???
  • MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    yeah thats what i mean...mine isnt thermoelectric..whats the different???

The difference is; if it's not thermoelectric it's a compressor refridgerator that works on much the same principle as air conditioning, that water vapor retains more thermic energy than air so in any given environment the energy in air will be absorbed by the water vapor in it, thereofore if you condense the water vapor you will remove the heat energy from it. Yes, water vapor is just about the worst greenhouse gas know to man, but shhhhh, don't tell any of these global warming theorists, you wouldn't want to burst their bubble ..... sorry wrong thread. Anyhow, that's why wouldn't want to you put your sticks in a regular fridge it will suck the moisture out of them (aside from not wanting to treat them like leftover meatloaf) :)

A better explaination of the difference than mine is given here :-

http://www.thermoelectric.com/2002/tt/index.html

It gets a little technical as it goes on but explains the difference quite well

basically in so many words, the condenser ran fridge/wine cooler when pumping in cold air is taking the humidity out....where as the thermoelectric fridge isnt using moving parts therefore when pushing in cold air, it keeps the humidity in the fridge itself....thats what my problem
    when I turn on the fridge after a couple days of holding the humidity at exactly 70%, it goes haywire and wil bounce all around from 30% to 80%....am I understanding this right or should I just give it up and say screw it lol
  • MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    basically in so many words, the condenser ran fridge/wine cooler when pumping in cold air is taking the humidity out....where as the thermoelectric fridge isnt using moving parts therefore when pushing in cold air, it keeps the humidity in the fridge itself....thats what my problem
    when I turn on the fridge after a couple days of holding the humidity at exactly 70%, it goes haywire and wil bounce all around from 30% to 80%....am I understanding this right or should I just give it up and say screw it lol

If your sticks stay in a 30%RH environment for any length of time, you'd better like them as extra crispy as anything KFC would offer :)

lol..thats why i am not using the winador just yet....i am using my normal humidors as of now....i will just build shelves and what not for the winador and use beads, and just leave it off, put in dark part of my closet and be done with it...it shouldnt get to hot
  • interpiminterpim Posts: 146
    Does anyone have a list of fridges with thermoelectric cooling? I have been scanning craigslist for the past few weeks, and I see a ton on there, but nobody lists what type of cooling they use, and looking through different manufacturers websites takes forever.
    lol...no offense but i highly doubt anyone has a list like that for ya or going to create a list like that....just google them
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I've tried two different wine fridges. My first was a regular compressor style. I used large tupperware containers inside of it so that the humidity was not affected by the compressor, it worked out quite well but it took up a lot of space and also having the tupperware wasted a lot of space inside fridge. So I bought two VinoTemps, with infinite combinations of beads and cigar oasis' I could never get them to maintain a steady RH, I've since stopped using them and switched back to a regular cooler, not a wine fridge.

This debate has been waged numerous times but the truth of the matter is, in my experience and those I've spoke with, a wine fridge is MORE work, not less. Yes if you have temperature issues in the place that you store sticks it may be worth the extra work other wise go buy a nice cooler and forget about wine fridges. If you are going to opt for the wine fridge anyway do not under any circumstances cheap out and buy a compressor driven fridge unless you plan on doing what I did and put tupperware inside the fridge and maintain humidity inside the tupperware, NOT, the fridge.
    well I find the same issue with the humidity...I think the cold air sucks the humidity out of the air...so what I have been doing, at raleys and places they sell big blue blocks of plastic with liquid in it(ice pack)...I have a special place at the bottom of the wine fridge where I get up, put that in the morning, and it pretty much will keep the wine cooler at 70degrees or so..then when I get home, I get the other one out of the freezer and swap them out...takes 2 minutes and perfecto...humiidity stays at 70-72% and temp stays the same