Home Cigar 101

Getting your a$$ kicked

jship079jship079 Posts: 621
This is my least favorite part of cigar enjoyment. I was wandering if any one liked it? What cigars did it to you. It seems like cain is a good one for this.

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Hate it. The light-headedness and nausea is why I stick to mild or medium sticks
  • JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    I smoked an Oliva O too fast and I felt like shitttttt. Light headed and everything was spinning lol. That was years before I became the aficianado I am lol.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Only cigar to give me the lightheaded feeling is an LFD DL chisel. Nothing else. Cain F / Ruination / Diesel etc I smoke with morning coffee and no problems. But I've had two DL chisel natural, and both left me lightheaded. Not quesy, and I didn't notice while smoking. Smoked them to the nubs no problem, but when I stood up I was a little wobbly for a while. haha
  • RippRipp Posts: 125
    Yeah it doesn't bother me too bad.. Very few cigars have made me quesy. Usually just lightheaded but i deal with that ok.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Sometimes I get a bit of a body buzz (JdN Dark Corojo), but I rarely get the complete package of lightheadedness and nausea. The last time that happened to me was probably when I smoked my first Intenso at the beginning of my cigar career. I don't mind the body buzz but I don't like the lightheadedness (and of course the nausea).
  • I had a 5 Vegas Miami that gave me a little kick last night, but typically it doesn't happen to me. That might also have to do with the fact that I started smoking with Punches and Partagas.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Arturo Fuente Reserva Xtra Viejo #55 made me sit and take notice for about twenty minutes before i could stand up. Most recently an LFD Air Bender Guerro natural knocked me for a loop....I never have felt the nausea but the light headed deal kicked in. I try never to smoke on an empty stomach. Neither experience was unpleasant I would and will take on both of these again.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Honestly I can say that I've never experienced this issue. Even when I did the badge the only thing that I had somewhat of an issue with was my palate. I dipped for like 6 years, almost all of those were either Cope Black or Snuff, so I guess maybe my body is more used to having a more bold and full tobacco product affecting it? Maybe...lol
  • RippRipp Posts: 125
    Yeah Enfidl I think that is the reason I dont really get sick either. Dipp'd for a little while myself.
  • bigjohn125bigjohn125 Posts: 476
    I've never used any other tobacco product and I am new to cigars. Almost every medium or full cigar leaves me light headed. Never felt sick though. I hope this goes away soon so I can try stronger cigars without worrying about getting sick.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bigjohn125:
    I've never used any other tobacco product and I am new to cigars. Almost every medium or full cigar leaves me light headed. Never felt sick though. I hope this goes away soon so I can try stronger cigars without worrying about getting sick.
    A few tips, just in case you don't already know; eat first, slow down, learn to recognize the symptoms and stop as soon as you do. You don't HAVE to smoke the whole thing. Some say keeping a sugary drink at hand can help, I don't know, as I can't stand most sugary drinks. Most of all, take your time! Enjoy.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    I think I am kinda sensitive to the full-bodied cigars, so in general, I rarely smoke during the day. Or if I do, I know I have to eat something substantial before smoking. After dinner, I rarely have gotten sick, but I do get a nice cigar buzz with certain cigars. I smoked two different Tatuaje Black Tubos during the day with sandman1am - the first one left me pretty nauseous. Tony was giving me so much crap, I was about turning green lol. Strong cigar! Probably my most nauseous I've ever been was smoking a Litto Gomez Diez Chisel during the Olympic hockey finals - I was jumping around, all excited cause it was a great game - and I definitely got very sick to my stomach. :)
  • vegassparkyvegassparky Posts: 365
    had a ruination kick my butt. it was 116 outside and i just got off work. had not eaten and was 1/2 dehydrated. should have known better.....what was i thinking
  • lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    G2turbo just kicked my a$$ and I don't even know why...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    you can help prevent it.

smoke in a cooler environment
    smoke on a full stomach
    be well hydrated
    slow down.
  • ndhaon91ndhaon91 Posts: 441
    I'm not crazy about the feeling, but I don't mind in certain scenarios, such as when I'm having drinks at the local martini/cigar bar.

I'm a big fan of full-body/flavored smokes, and usually don't have an issue unless I smoke it on an empth stomach, etc. I love the Diesel, MoW, Antano, etc.

Strangely, I've smoke an Oliva V the last two afternoons, and both have whooped me pretty good...
  • kaipocruz1kaipocruz1 Posts: 61 ✭✭
    I got my a$$ handed to me smoking a Graycliff DE on the golf course last week. It was hot and I was having a few beers, but my head was spinning after just a few puffs. F-ed up my putting bad!
  • AdcuriumAdcurium Posts: 179 ✭✭
    I HATE it. I was once smoking a La Aroma De Cuba and it hit me the wrong way. What made matters worse was that I was on my back deck and the wind was blowing the tiki torches in such a way as to create a strobe-light effect. I thought I was going to yack! How about the guy that posted a few months ago about nearly crapping his pants. I'm sure he has a good story to share!
  • Adcurium:
    I HATE it. I was once smoking a La Aroma De Cuba and it hit me the wrong way. What made matters worse was that I was on my back deck and the wind was blowing the tiki torches in such a way as to create a strobe-light effect. I thought I was going to yack! How about the guy that posted a few months ago about nearly crapping his pants. I'm sure he has a good story to share!
    Haha no matter what age, race, status or creed every man likes a good craping you pants story.
  • MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Had an Esteban Carreras 187 last week, that was a pretty kick ass full bodied plus gar, but I just took it easy.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    If I ever have one try to kick my ass, I'm going to kick it's back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFN1-uqt2WA
  • fuentejpsfuentejps Posts: 345
    sugar really does help. pepsi, dr pepper something like that. but you need to catch it early on.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    RP Sungrown is the one that got me - I think it was a churchill. Made me nauseous and shakey for a good 30-45 mins. Not enjoyable at all. I was still relatively new to premiums at the time, so i may need to revisit some day. It's funny becuase I've had Oliva Vs, Man O Wars, RP Olde World Reserves which did not hit me that way at all, and I hear people talk about those being 'ass-kickers' more so than the Sungrown - just goes to show how everyone is different when it comes to enjoying cigars.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I have smoked so many full bodied cigars over the last few years that I have built a tolerance to it so I find it refreshing when a good smoke gives me a buzz. It does happen now and then.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Just finished up a MOW and it has put me in a state of trance! I have had many of these but tonight I didn't have much to eat and tired as hell so ya, it kicked my ass!
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    I only have 1 cigar in any humidor that I have crazy amounts of respect for, because it has kicked my a$$ more than once! San Cristobal de la Habana "El Morro" sized ISOM. Looks like a mild stick, but that's where it will fool you. If you ever get the chance to smoke one, go for it. It's a great cigar. Mine are from 2001, so they have plenty of age on them. That doesn't tone them down much tho. Lots of water, good full belly and get ready to give it up if the world starts to spin out of control!

• crzydimnd68crzydimnd68 Posts: 139 ✭✭
    If smoking strong cigars kicks your a$$.Then maybe you shouldn't be smoking. http://allergies.ygoy.com/2010/03/07/nicotine-allergy/
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    crzydimnd68:
    If smoking strong cigars kicks your a$$.Then maybe you shouldn't be smoking. http://allergies.ygoy.com/2010/03/07/nicotine-allergy/
    Well, ummm.....thank you for that insight? I'm now a changed man.....Now I smoke twice as much!!!

• cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    eery now and then i get a kick in the pants (body buzz) I like it makes me laugh. first diesel made my whole body sweat arms legs and so on. Not again since though seems like when I first try a new cigar I get hit then I'm fine with the next one. I know weird!
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Posts: 269
    Each cigar I think, effects people differently, as well as the outside factors discussed above (full stomach, speed etc.) but the LFD Airbender and the JDN Antano - no matter what the outside factors are, still mess me up. Throughs are two of my favorite cigars in terms of taste as well. I just have to carfully plan what Im doing after the cigar before I smoke em. The last Antano I had, I laid down in bed after smoking it, and had to put my foot on the ground to stop the room from spin'n.....whoooa!