Home Non Cigar Related

Worthy Charities

wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
Hey guys. I was just thinking of giving some money or supplies to a charitable organization after I'm done saving up for the wedding. I was thinking of St. Jude's Children Hospital. What other organizations are worthy of considering and why? Thanks for your time in advance, guys.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ive dealt a bit with the one in six foundation. they are looking for cure/prevention/treatment of prostate cancer. hard to find something bad about that charity.

the charity that is close to my heart is Over-the-Rhine Community Housing. this is a charity that deals with inner city housing in Cincinnati OH, my home town. they buy up old, falling apart buildings and rehab them to turn them into low income housing. the catch is that if you want to live in the housing they provide, you have to work for their "company" in one way or another. you can help rehab the buildings, you can work in their office, you can pick up trash around the buildings, etc. it doesnt matter what you do as long as you work for them in some small way. this builds community spirit and pride in your work. they say that they build communities, not houses.
    Ive done a good share of work for them in the past and i donate money to them when i can. If i am setting up a charity event i like to have them as the recipient of the proceeds.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    My selfish recommendation would be the organization I work for...Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh. We're frustrated by St. Jude's in that they raise about $700m annually to our $7 million, but we do similiar cutting-edge cancer reserach and treatment. They're just a marketing and fundraising machine. And, unlike them, we're one of the top centers in the world for pediatric transplant, heart issues, neurosciences, etc.

Ok, just being snarky...down off my soapbox. St. Jude's is great, as are many of the children's hospitals in the country. They do cancer and do it very well. Many of the others children's hospital do a wide range of pediatric illnesses and diseases.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    One thing that I always bring up when people ask about charities:

Whenever you see celebrity this or that on TV you so often see them doing things for children or animals. Nothing wrong with either of those causes to be sure. I just am saddened that almost never do you hear about charities for the elderly. Yes, they don't have long lives ahead of them and they aren't cute and cuddly, but, right now with the Greatest Generation especially, but always, they are the folks who paved the way for everything we enjoy today. They are the ones that truly cannot fight their way out of a bad situation. Because they just seem so deserving, yet so underrepresented I always throw my $.02 in and urge folks to look into charities for the elderly. As long as you at least look, then follow your heart and go from there. I am a firm believer that acts of philanthropy and volunteering do far more for the giver than the recipient. So, be selfish :)
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Luko:
    My selfish recommendation would be the organization I work for...Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh. We're frustrated by St. Jude's in that they raise about $700m annually to our $7 million, but we do similiar cutting-edge cancer reserach and treatment. They're just a marketing and fundraising machine. And, unlike them, we're one of the top centers in the world for pediatric transplant, heart issues, neurosciences, etc.

Ok, just being snarky...down off my soapbox. St. Jude's is great, as are many of the children's hospitals in the country. They do cancer and do it very well. Many of the others children's hospital do a wide range of pediatric illnesses and diseases.
    Truly a great hospital you work for. My wife works for Children's Hospital of Michigan - another excellent pediatric hospital.

Speaking of good charities - Jeff Jackson at cigar.com runs a charity. Call him up - they do a ton of wounded Vet stuff and fundraisers/cigars for currently deployed troops. My wife and I have donated to his charity a couple of times and will do so again. Jeff is the man.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Lassy Liver Fund
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Lasabar:
    Lassy Liver Fund
    I've heard of this one! You just deposit money into a Medical Savings Account entitled "Lassy drank way too much Miller Lite"
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    Lasabar:
    Lassy Liver Fund
    I've heard of this one! You just deposit money into a Medical Savings Account entitled "Lassy drank way too much Miller Lite"
    Lol. C'mon, Lassy. If you're gonna kill your liver, at least drink something good. Get a Guinness or Warsteiner.

By the way, I love the suggestions you guys are coming up with. I'll call up Jeff for more info on his charity event. In the meantime, keep the suggestions coming :)
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last year my wife and I ran in a 10k to support and raise money for the leukemia & lymphoma society. I really like this charity because it raises money for people of all ages. I was really impressed with my race time considering I had never did a run of that distance ever in my life : )
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    A few that come to mind is also the childrens hospital of pittsburgh I know alot of people who have had there children there and across the board people have been happy Thank God my children have not been there hopefully never will

Also I work for a Autistic school and places like Autism Speaks that help all aspects of the disorder

Last but not least I do beleave I remember you saying you a christan I say find a good churh or missionary organization getting out the word of God and Helping many along the way
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    There are many good charities you could donate too, just pick one. There are a few I do not like also, particularly those where very little of the donation actually gets to those who are supposed to benefit and shadow charities that fund political/terrorist groups.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    St. Judes and Shriner's Hospitals do a lot for families and children.
    fla-gypsy:
    . There are a few I do not like also, particularly those where very little of the donation actually gets to those who are supposed to benefit
    I agree do you home work some charities only like 70% of your dollar might go to the cause
  • Luko:

I agree ! Childrens Hospital saved my life.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Just a suggestion......... When my wife and I got married, instead of wedding favors at the dinner tables (ie chocolates, mints, knick-knacks....) we made a donation to Shriner's Hospital for Children and left a note for the guests which stated that a donation was made in their name...... We figured we would have spent about $300-$400 on favors so we donated $500.....
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
    anything that helps children or cancer research is what I do.
  • vegassparkyvegassparky Posts: 365
    One2gofst:
    One thing that I always bring up when people ask about charities:

Whenever you see celebrity this or that on TV you so often see them doing things for children or animals. Nothing wrong with either of those causes to be sure. I just am saddened that almost never do you hear about charities for the elderly. Yes, they don't have long lives ahead of them and they aren't cute and cuddly, but, right now with the Greatest Generation especially, but always, they are the folks who paved the way for everything we enjoy today. They are the ones that truly cannot fight their way out of a bad situation. Because they just seem so deserving, yet so underrepresented I always throw my $.02 in and urge folks to look into charities for the elderly. As long as you at least look, then follow your heart and go from there. I am a firm believer that acts of philanthropy and volunteering do far more for the giver than the recipient. So, be selfish :)
    i gotta agree with one2gofst here. I give money and some of my time to a local elderly home here. I also work for a dog rescue to rehome dogs that are unwanted. I love to take some of the dogs to see the elderly, when i go to spend time with them. they love the dogs and the dogs get the much needed love they need. And listening to the older generation is really a joy.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I typically donate to my local church; it typically goes to the needy, and the church has the lowest overhead deductions. I think I read that Red Cross takes more than 50% of any donation and applies it to their own overhead; I think the church only applies 20% or less of any donation to overhead, with the rest going where you intended it to go.
  • Look into heifer project international. They give animals to familys all over the world and teaches them how to care for them. The rule is that the receiving family than has to give the animals offspring to a neighbor and so on. They actually hold the people accountable also. They don't just give people food, they give them sustainable food. My grandpa has travelled all over the world for HPI. Great organization!
    bigjohn125:
    Look into heifer project international. They give animals to familys all over the world and teaches them how to care for them. The rule is that the receiving family than has to give the animals offspring to a neighbor and so on. They actually hold the people accountable also. They don't just give people food, they give them sustainable food. My grandpa has travelled all over the world for HPI. Great organization!
    Give a man a fish he eats for a day teach a man to fish he eats for a lifetime Im thinking this would be there mission
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    bigjohn125:
    Look into heifer project international. They give animals to familys all over the world and teaches them how to care for them. The rule is that the receiving family than has to give the animals offspring to a neighbor and so on. They actually hold the people accountable also. They don't just give people food, they give them sustainable food. My grandpa has travelled all over the world for HPI. Great organization!
    My Grandma still buys me a goat every now and again.......
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..