Home Non Cigar Related

what's the public's opinion of your police force like in the states?

just wondering, as over here in the uk ours are seen as a bit of a joke, nobody seems to have any respect for them or what they do. As it seems easier at times for them to do your average person for something pathetic just to meet targets than it is for them to go out and stop real crime.
for example a guy who owns a bar went to the police station with all the passports and id cards he had picked up off his floor over the weekend, and instead of the police saying thanks they had a go at him for hanging on to them for so long and said he was lucky not to be arrested and that in future he was to hand them in at the station as soon as he found them. which isn't exactly practical if hes finding them every 10-20 mins
not the best example but you get the idea.

Comments

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I live near DC so the number of police are huge.
    We have about 5 different counties, 3 different states, Park, and federal law enforcement.

I pray I never need any of them.

• Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    Personally, I have a lot of respect for officers...just like firemen, teachers, military, etc. Granted, there are a few "bad apples" in the bunch, but I think this is typical with any career field. If what the officer said at the uk police station is true, it could've been handled differently. They could've thanked the individual then informed him of any issues they might've had if they were concerned about him holding onto the IDs for too long. I try not to judge an entire group of people based on the actions of certain individuals...always going to have the "bad apples" in the bunch.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I have a profound respect for them and know not to pick a fight with them as they will always win. Now in the old days when I was kid they were a force to be feared for good reason. In many places in the south the Sheriff had great power in the county and still does in some places
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Over here in Madison, MS, the cops here are really nice and helpful. So were the cops in San Angelo, TX. However, the cops in Monterey, California? Damn, those guys need to loosen up. They really have it out for military personnel. If you're military, they'll arrest you for public drunkeness in a heartbeat if you were anywhere near alcohol. Several soldiers, marines, and airmen were arrested, even if all you do is walk 3 feet away from the bar to get to your taxi.
  • man....I have a huge respect for officers of the law as I hope to be one soon! but here in Sacramento we laid off so many cops we have the same police coverage as we did in I think 1985 or close to it...and there is more to be let go soon.....yet crime is rising big time here in many parts of the suburbs people never saw crime before...lame....WELCOME TO CALI THOUGH
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    I dont know if I should answer...as Im sure most know my opinion. I will say the majority of officers are great and do wonderful work----but there is a good number in the minority that give the profession a bad name and turn me off to the whole thing. I work very closely to Law Enforcement in my job and can speak from personal experience here. Again, MOST are fine....but the few really make up the difference.
  • I wish we would start having yearly reviews with every officer...bad ones get desk jobs....simple as that...or they get let go....Its funny...in sac, you here about all the officers are getting let go, but then u see FAT officers driving around eating at the same time....seriously....? I think if ur a officer on patrol and not at a desk, there should be fitness requirements given out and they must pass on a yearly basis....just my .02cents
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I have never had any problem with police in the Milwaukee/suburbs area...

And now that I'm a business owner (a GM of my parent corporation) I have a new found respect for them for they protect my ass and I give them UBER discounts and hook them up and make them happy!

It's a mutual relationship!
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    man....I have a huge respect for officers of the law as I hope to be one soon! but here in Sacramento we laid off so many cops we have the same police coverage as we did in I think 1985 or close to it...and there is more to be let go soon.....yet crime is rising big time here in many parts of the suburbs people never saw crime before...lame....WELCOME TO CALI THOUGH
    Man, it has been years since I lived in Cali...I know the feeling though, some of those cities I'd be scared to decrease the size of the police force! Seems like it gets worse and worse...take some parts of Vallejo and Oakland for example. I'd be scared just to get out of the car lol
  • Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭
    cheers for the response guys, its as i thought.

im hoping to join the police force after ive finished my physics degree.
    although i dont stand much chance of getting in as im a white male:(
    1in7 white males who pass selection get the job the rest are rejected and its done at random. although if your a women or black that doesn't happen as that would be discrimination, wheres the rolls eyes smiley.
    this country is really going *** up.

im thinking about leaving, and the states is one of my options, also thinking of Canada or new zealand.
    suppose the good thing about moving to the states is i can already speak American :p
  • u move here, ill trade u in a heart beat.. im ready to get out of the states lol.....and thats totally random, physics degree yet want to be a cop.....dude if ur smart enough for that degree think about lawyer, judge, crime scene investigator....not officer my friend
  • Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    u move here, ill trade u in a heart beat.. im ready to get out of the states lol.....and thats totally random, physics degree yet want to be a cop.....dude if ur smart enough for that degree think about lawyer, judge, crime scene investigator....not officer my friend
    lol i think you would be worce off with that trade.

i know its a bit random but being a police officer is what ive wanted to do for ages, csi is differnt over here to what it seems to be in the states, speaking from my in depth knowledge of the American csi's gathered from the csi series.:p
    everyone who knows me says its a waste me just being a policeman, and i could do something thats better paid. but to be honest id rather just do something that makes me happy.
    im sure there's a saying somewhere, find a job you love doing and you will never work a day in your life.
  • I don't mind the local police in Ohio. In my area they have cut me some breaks when I was younger. Ohio DOT is a whole nother story. Those guys suck.
  • LeftFiveLeftFive Posts: 184 ✭✭
    The city cops and Sheriffs/Staties around here are great, I've never had any problems with them and have been always treated like a human in our interactions.
    Some of the richer suburbs seem to have a majority of under-worked, over-paid heroes that treat everyone like scum.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    These Filthy Hands:
    Ohio DOT is a whole nother story. Those guys suck.
    yes